Cathedral of the Mind.......................

Letty

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 05:10 pm
Spires that reaching up to climb
The stairs that lead to only this,
A fuller love, a dark abyss,
The one betrayal of a kiss.

There is no Judas tree,
Just those who thwart eternity
With spikes of words and destiny
The spears of steel
That pierce the side
Of promise.

Inspired by Phoenix's thread of worship.

From Letty with love
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 726 • Replies: 15
No top replies

kellyvinal

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:35 pm
Woah! Gorgeous piece, Ms. Letty!
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:42 pm
stained glass
interposes
a theology of light
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:54 pm
Thanks, Kelly. I was combining this in my mind with the hymn, Be Thou my Vision. It seems that the two came together somehow. Don't ask, cause I really don't know why.

Wow! George

That's a poem unto itself. I love it!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 07:54 am
For some reason, this is what I thought of after reading the piece, which was beautiful: http://www.sagradafamilia.org/eng/index.htm
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:09 am
Fantastic photo, Cav. I love it. I will have to share a tiny, humorous anecdote with you all:

In the area of Virginia where I grew up, there was a small Baptist college that renovated the steeple of its chapel. Our rather jaded friend observed:

Typical. They're making certain that the spire is right up God's ass. Even though I wanted to be horrified, I fell out laughing and placated myself with the idea that God would be smiling, too.

Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:22 am
Ha! That's funny indeed, Letty. Actually, if you navigate the Gaudi site there, you might discover that this church was his last project, and is unfinished as he was hit by a tram before completing it. They've been working on finishing and restoring the existing structure ever since, because it is such an awesome piece of architechture. I was thinking about all of that while I read your poem...

Gaudi was a fascinating person. He was not a trained engineer. He built models of all his crazy art nouveau buildings, and hung a variety of small weights from where the load-bearing structures had to go, and that's how he figured out if the building would stand, or not.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:28 am
Gorsh, Cav. If I knew more about architecture, I would make a wise observation at this point. I need to go through that site, then. The only person that came to mind when I was thinking about this piece, is Christopher Wren. Shows ya what I know.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:34 am
My dad is an architect, and I took an advanced art course in post-modern architecture in high school. I must have had a really good teacher, because I still remember.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:39 am
You never cease to amaze me, Cav.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:41 am
The three main people we studied were Frank Lloyd Wright, Le Corbusier, and Mies Van de Rohe, with some background on the influences of post-modernism, including Gaudi.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:47 am
Frank Lloyd I am a wee bit familiar with, but only because he broke all the rules.

Well, my friend, as much as I hate to turn off my pc, I'm gonna have to get these absentee ballots in the mail. The postman only rings once, here. Razz
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:49 am
Ballot on...
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:17 am
That's very beautiful, Letty...

Thank you for sharing that. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 09:33 am
Why thank you, Lady J. Now if only I can get things done here as easily as I can jot down a verse or two, I would be in high cotton. <smile>
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 03:42 pm
Eh...do what you love. The rest can wait. Smile I'd much prefer my eulogy to contain warm rememberances about the person I was, not how clean my house may or may not have been or what a powerhouse worker I was on the job!
0 Replies