Charitable Deductions

gollum

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 07:02 am
When I prepare my 1040 tax return, may I deduct the membership dues to my synagogue?

I believe if I chose to donate money to the synagogue, it would be deductible. But this is annual dues that I owed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 513 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 09:22 am
@gollum,
This is a great question for Turbo Tax.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 12:19 pm
@gollum,
Since annual dues are related to synagogue expenses and functioning, , they too are deductible.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 01:31 pm
I believe IRS rules state that if you made any one donation of over $250 you have to have a receipt for it. or a copy of the check. Also I think if you are required to purchase tickets for High Holy Day services you can write these off as an itemized charitable deduction. (Most synagogues require non members to purchase tickets to Holy Day services.)

Similarly, temple members whose annual dues include admission to High Holy Day services don't have to reduce their charitable deduction for the value of the tickets. Membership dues in temples and churches are generally deductible in full.

Rabbis traditionally make a special plea for contributions during the High Holy Days. If you heed your rabbi's plea, you'll generally be able to deduct your donation in full. You won't have to subtract the value of any of the religious benefits that are commonly given in return for contributions, such as an aliyah. If you pay to have a memorial plaque hung on the temple wall in memory of a loved one, the entire payment is considered a deductible contribution; there is no need to adjust your deduction for the cost of the plaque.

On the other hand, if you purchase an item from the temple gift shop, such as a High Holy Day prayer book, you generally won't be able to deduct any of the cost. (The only time you can deduct part of the cost of an item purchased from a charity is when you pay more than it's fair market value, such as if you ``overbid'' at a charity auction.) Likewise, If your child is attending a religious school, such as Hebrew school, the tuition would not be deductible, as you would receive something in exchange (the education.) Some states may have a tuition deduction for private schooling. If so, you will be asked during the state interview. Those states include Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Minnesota and Wisconsin (Wisconsin's was not in effect until 2014.)
gollum

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 01:42 pm
@centrox,
centrox-

Thank you.
0 Replies