Should credit card rewards be counted as income?

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 05:44 pm
I just read a news headline about paying for college tuition with points from a credit card rewards program and it occurred to me that such rewards are a form of tax-free income.

Should they be reported as income, though? Why or why not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 534 • Replies: 8

roger

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2019 03:52 pm
@livinglava,
Heck, yeah! Last week, I bought a can of soup on sale. I naturally included the discount in my taxable income.
ekename

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2019 09:18 pm
@roger,
The soup was a tomato and a third off, and you are holding up four toes and a tail.

Now, back to serious stuff.

Liv-in-luva inquired:

Quote:
Should they be reported as income, though? Why or why not?

No, the IRS considers most credit rewards a discount, and you wouldn't wanna deliberately misfile would you?

roger

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2019 09:31 pm
@ekename,
Just had to give a serious answer, din'nt ya?
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 08:12 pm
@ekename,
ekename wrote:

No, the IRS considers most credit rewards a discount, and you wouldn't wanna deliberately misfile would you?

If you just paid someone a salary to buy your product, would they have to report it as income?

E.g. if you shop at a store and they pay you for two hours of your time that you spend shopping there, could that be considered a reward or rebate and thus a discount, i.e. because you are spending money there? Or would it have to be considered income and be taxable as such?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 09:15 pm
Taxes are arbitrary. The state legislature can tax anything. I don't see anything wrong with taxing credit card rebates.

I do think that taxing income (I.e. the kind we work for) is ridiculous. We are disincentivizing productivity. I think most economists agree that the income tax is a drag on productivity.
livinglava

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 07:31 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Taxes are arbitrary. The state legislature can tax anything. I don't see anything wrong with taxing credit card rebates.

I do think that taxing income (I.e. the kind we work for) is ridiculous. We are disincentivizing productivity. I think most economists agree that the income tax is a drag on productivity.

You have to have taxes in order to abate them to stimulate certain forms of productivity. If there were no taxes, abatement would not be a tool for government to use.

Quote:

"Friends," said he, "the taxes are indeed very heavy, and, if those laid on by the government were the only ones we had to pay, we might more easily discharge them; but we have many others, and much more grievous to some of us. We are taxed twice as much by our idleness, three times as much by our pride, and four times as much by our folly; and from these taxes the commissioners cannot ease or deliver us, by allowing an abatement.

- Benjamin Franklin
beantownmike

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 03:45 am
@livinglava,
Remember learning about the Tea Party in school?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 08:24 am
@livinglava,
This almost sounds like Modern Monetary Theory, LivingLava. If so, I am impressed.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should credit card rewards be counted as income?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:26:15