Bruce Springsteen apologizes for Trump, and now needs to apologize for the apology

Lash

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 08:33 am
I'm almost always extremely disappointed to find out how crazy, ignorant, or shallow celebrities are when they crash through the veil and spout off about politics or current events. Ipsofacto, I wish I hadn't read Springsteen's article.

His main idea, acting for change rather than making a speech, is laudable, but his self-promotion--& worse, his opinion that all a celebrity has to do is show up to change a Trump voter to a Democrat- is incredibly insulting to voters and uncomfortably self-congratulatory.

I'm pretty confident most people here will think his comments were wonderful. I'm sorry to be treated to his thinking process about how people arrive at their closely-held beliefs.

http://observer.com/2017/02/an-apology-from-bruce-springsteen-for-letting-trump-win/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,551 • Replies: 11

hightor

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 10:28 am
@Lash,
I think it's a bit overwrought. But it's authentic Springsteen.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 11:57 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I'm almost always extremely disappointed to find out how crazy, ignorant, or shallow celebrities are when they crash through the veil and spout off about politics or current events. Ipsofacto, I wish I hadn't read Springsteen's article.

His main idea, acting for change rather than making a speech, is laudable, but his self-promotion--& worse, his opinion that all a celebrity has to do is show up to change a Trump voter to a Democrat- is incredibly insulting to voters and uncomfortably self-congratulatory.

I'm pretty confident most people here will think his comments were wonderful. I'm sorry to be treated to his thinking process about how people arrive at their closely-held beliefs.

http://observer.com/2017/02/an-apology-from-bruce-springsteen-for-letting-trump-win/

A celebrity never sways my opinion because they don't live like average people. They are disconnected with the public atmosphere.

This whole idea of just simply showing up is evident that no arguments get thoroughly checked, people just blindly accept what ever they say as fact.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:06 pm
I cannot see anything in what Springsteen said to object to. That Trump won is a really bad thing, and he said so. People who feared it could have done more, including him.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 01:00 pm
You guys did notice that it wasn't actually written by Bruce Springsteen, right?

Quote:
By Tim Sommer • 02/08/17 10:35am

...stuff Bruce didn't say...

Thanks for listening.

Love,

Bruce*

*Not actually Bruce
Sturgis

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 03:24 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
You guys did notice that it wasn'to actually written by Springsteen, right?

Picky, picky. However it sums up Springsteen-think rather well. That's a big part of why I can't stand him.

Regarding Meryl Streep's awards show speech, at least she spoke up and some folks who heard her, will see what they can do for positive actions for this nation.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 10:52 pm
Who cares what some aging has- been thinks. The only reason they spout off is to try to be relevant again. If he was still relevant as a singer he'd be singing not bloviating.
TomTomBinks

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 12:17 am
@giujohn,
Quote:
Who cares what some aging has- been thinks.

Exactly, and that's why nobody's listening to you.
giujohn

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 05:30 am
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:

Quote:
Who cares what some aging has- been thinks.

Exactly, and that's why nobody's listening to you.

LOL... APPARENTLY YOU ARE!
wmwcjr

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 07:48 am
@giujohn,
Thanks, you two, for the laugh of the morning. Smile
giujohn

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 04:36 pm
@wmwcjr,
N E TIME MR BILL
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 08:13 pm
@Lash,
In retrospect they all wonder, but nothing - absolutely nothing was done while Trump was campaigning. None of the celebrities spoke out openly, sure they had a video encouraging everyone to vote, but I guess half of eligible voters didn't see that video otherwise we wouldn't be in this predicament.

The ones to really blame for the Trump presidency are
1. the eligible voters who sat on their asses instead of going out to vote
2. the media, reporting every **** storm coming from Trump's mouth and virtually nothing from Sanders and mostly negative press about Clinton.
3. Hillary for not taking Bernie Sanders as her running mate.
Nothing against Kane, he's a lovely man, but he was non descriptive.
With Bernie Sanders on her side, she most definitely would have won.

Trump would have been happy too as I don't think he really has his heart
in it. He has no interest in government per se, doesn't know how government works, hasn't read the constitution, and is mentally ill equipped to run a country.

In lieu of all this, a Bruce Springsteen should have and could have done a few concerts for Bernie or Hillary, but that's about it.
0 Replies