How Often Do You Go to A House of Worship?

paulaj

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 05:48 am
JLNobody wrote:
Who doesn't love to tease Gus...because he teases us.

He is great at putting a bee in one's bonnet :-)
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 11:02 am
sozobe wrote:
I've been I think 25 times total (not counting weddings and such -- going for the religious service.)

Each grandma (different religions) took me and hoped I'd see the light several times each, and when I was most curious in H.S. I went to many different ones -- the most vivid experience was Southern Baptist (I think -- now I'm not sure) complete with speaking in tongues and people being saved/ going into convulsions.

So I guess that's somewhere between rarely on the Sabbath and never.

The speaking in tongues etc. wasn't from any southern baptist church that I have ever been to, but that did happen at a church of God that I attended for a short time.
0 Replies

dollbaby1985

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 01:00 pm
I would say I go 3 out of 4 sunday's a month, I like to go out of town w/ my friends alot so if I am out of town I don't go to church.
0 Replies

evasophia

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 01:33 am
In my church the purpose of going to church has been lost. I'm sure this has happend in many churches. It has become a social gathering and more so than that it has become a safe haven in order to escape the rumors and jeers. If you show up at church than people won't talk about how much of a sinner you are for not going. It's more of the "See I'm at church so back off. I'm still better than you," thought. It's very sad and disgusting. I find sometimes I get more out of just meditating at home with a Bible, a devotional book and my favorite Christian cd's, than I do going to church. It seems more personal that way and I can really focus on my one on one time with God. I have that time reserved every Sunday anyway, I might as well get the most out of it. I feel that people forget that Church isn't the building. It's letting God into your heart and you can do that at anytime of the day.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 07:30 am
Let's see.... rarely, if ever, do I go to church.
But that's because I'm Jewish.
And so, I go to the synagogue twice a day to pray three times a day (that's because I'm Jewish too. You know, two Jews, three opinions...)
We do that seven days a week, forever....
Then I often go back to study in the study hall of the synagogue and then of course, there are the extra-curricular parties....
What the heck. I practically live at the synagogue.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 08:07 am
Pardon my ignorance, Moishe3rd, (I'm a goy) but are there set times that you go to the synagogue to pray?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 08:10 am
Moishe3rd wrote:

If you are in shul most of the time, how do you support yourself?
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 12:12 pm
George wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, Moishe3rd, (I'm a goy) but are there set times that you go to the synagogue to pray?

There are set prayers, not necessarily set times.
Jews pray (daven) three times a day - Morning prayers (Shacharis); Afternoon prayers (Mincha); and Evening prayers (Maariv).
In our community, there is a 6:30 AM Shacharis (which gets later during the winter months as sunrise gets later); a 7:00 AM Shacharis - the Kollel (which is a sort of "university" where men get paid for learning full time) minyan; and 8:00 AM, at Torah Academy (the Jewish Day School - grades pre-K thru 8th grade).
The other Orthodox synagogue also has a minyan (10 men), maybe, at 7:00 AM.
The girl's high school (Bais Yaakov) also davens Shacharis around 8:00 AM.
The Kollel davens Mincha at 2:45 PM and Torah Academy davens Mincha at 3:00 PM (I think). Then the shul (synagogue) davens Mincha at varying times - now about 4:15 PM and as late as around 8:30 PM during the summer, followed immediately by Maariv.
There is also an 8:00 Maariv during these winter months and a 10:00 Maariv always.
If a person can't make a minyan (get together with 10 men) then he prays alone. But he still prays three times a day.
Hope this helps.
Smile
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 12:16 pm
Thank you. That reminds me a bit of the Holy Office back in my seminary days (I'm Catholic).
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 12:17 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Moishe3rd wrote:

If you are in shul most of the time, how do you support yourself?

Good question.
Mostly I don't really.... Sad
However, I am a remodeling contractor who is very selective in whom I have as a customer; I attempt to buy real estate, fix it up and sell it for profit; and I attempt to make some money in the stock market.
In other words, I am self - employed and somehow I usually manage to pay the bills and educate my children.
There are other individuals who spend as much or more time in shul as I do and they own successful businesses where they have a somewhat assured income.
I do not have quite the ambition that they do (or did). Confused
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 03:30 pm
Thanks for the insights, Moishe3rd. I suspect that many diasporic Jews feel a need to spend much time with other Jews, creating and maintaining the solidarity needed to survive in this world. I say this knowing that almost all the Jews I know do not spend much time in shul. They are very secular and very cosmopolitan. That would change, I suspect, if there were another crisis.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 12:11 am
I'm coming into this thread late, but I generally go to choir practice on Thursday nights and sing in the choir at worship on Sunday mornings, and attend occasional other meetings. I also teach an adult religious education class on the history of the development of Christian thoughts and pratices, both of which have been heavily influenced by Christianity's Jewish roots. Of course the course also includes how Christianity has been influenced and affected by other religions as well. Therefore, this has been an interesting discussion.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 12:27 am
History of religions really is a very interesting subject - can turn out some of churches as well as bring them closer, I think :wink:
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 12:31 am
Well it all certainly hasn't been pretty for sure as virtually all religions have both nobility and shame just as all of us come from national heritages checkered with both nobility and events that have been far from noble. People, nations, and religions evolve however, hopefully for the better over time.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 09:59 pm
I've been to a "house of worship" I think twice this year, probably won't attend anymore except for weddings and funerals. For lack of another adjective, church services seem old fashioned.

Just remembered the small church located miles out into the country under towering oaks. Tried that a few times last summer, it was a private old stone home. Mostly, I watched about 2 dozen swallows building their mud nests under the enormous backporch overhang.

As someone else said, nature is my church. I've got to get used to the fact these places are not what they used to be, to me. Would like to find a meditation group.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 10:04 pm
Hmm...
My ' house of worship' is my alter. My alter is in my home.
I always open circle once a month just for religious reasons, other times it is to do personal work.
If that counts as a house of worship, I am there a few times a week.
0 Replies