Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 02:31 am
JLNobody wrote:
That went past me, leaving not a trace.

YES!
0 Replies

heimdall

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 02:03 pm
Here is my second cut on answering this question:

There's nowhere for you, the seeker of knowledge, to begin, but from where you are, the center of your subjective existence, the soul. As a center, the soul is only a point, without dimensions, but not without a location. The soul is in your brain. To locate it more precisely, observe that as you change your point of focus you can gauge its distance from you, not only for points exterior to your skin, but also for points within the skin and within the brain. There is no sense of unity and centrality except when the focus resides at a point a short distance behind the bridge of the nose. [Individuals may vary somewhat in this regard.] That is the location of the soul. What is outside the soul is the world, including all brain, all body, and all the world beyond, except you, your soul.

The soul knows and acts. It knows the world, which is appearance and reality. Appearance is known directly, certainly, and precisely. Reality lies beyond appearance and is known only indirectly, uncertainly, and imprecisely. Reality is known only by the indications that flow from it into the soul. Indications constitute appearance and point backwards past it to indicated parts of reality. Indications include all thoughts, sensations, perceptions, etc. - whatever can enter into the soul. Appearance is simply the sum total of the current flow of indications.

The soul acts on reality alone and it acts by will. The actions of the will, volitions, proceed continuously from the soul, affecting reality and thereby appearance. Will is the counterpart of appearance. It is the sum total of the current flow of volitions.

The cycle of the material and the spiritual is thus completed. The world is material, the soul spiritual. Indications flow from reality to the soul, and volitions flow from the soul to reality. The sum of indications is appearance, the sum of volitions the will.

In common terminology, the soul in its role as target of the flow of indications is called consciousness, here meant in the philosophical not the physiological sense, and the flow is called the stream of consciousness. Reality is also known as objective existence, the subject of physics and other physical sciences.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:23 pm
Interesting post, Heimdall.
However, even though it is nicely constructed, I still have problems with it.
Quote:
The soul is in your brain. To locate it more precisely, observe that as you change your point of focus you can gauge its distance from you, not only for points exterior to your skin, but also for points within the skin and within the brain. There is no sense of unity and centrality except when the focus resides at a point a short distance behind the bridge of the nose. [Individuals may vary somewhat in this regard.] That is the location of the soul.

where did you find this? It seems very sure of itself for a statement about an object that may or may not even exist.

Quote:
Appearance is known directly, certainly, and precisely. Reality lies beyond appearance and is known only indirectly, uncertainly, and imprecisely. Reality is known only by the indications that flow from it into the soul.

With the exception of your statement about the "Flow of reality", I would take the opposite road, that it is appearance that is uncertain, and reality that is concrete. We might not be 100% sure of reality, but it is still "true." Appearance, however, is a far more unstable idea. Am I misinterpreting your point?

I like the idea of consciousness being the "umbilical cord" between reality and the soul. I might not be too sure of it...but it's an interesting idea. :wink:
0 Replies

heimdall

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 03:01 pm
Taliesin,

Thanks for your comments.

Taliesin181 wrote:
Interesting post, Heimdall.
However, even though it is nicely constructed, I still have problems with it.
Quote:
The soul is in your brain. ...

where did you find this? It seems very sure of itself for a statement about an object that may or may not even exist.

I know there is a strange idea prevalent among philosophers today that there is no soul, but I have yet to find a convincing argument against its existence. Instead, they seem to have renamed it "consciousness" because they don't accept the obvious train of causation from, e.g., my thinking I should go get a drink of water to my going to get a drink of water.

Assuming the soul exists, I figured out its location myself with the following reasoning:

Everyone automatically maps objects into a locally Newtonian space-time with an origin (the location of the soul). From this mapping we get our familiar concepts of relative distance expressed by such words as "nearer" and "farther".

When I try to locate that origin I am led to the point described. It is clearly in the head, because it moves around as I move my head. It is equally clear it is not in my big toe, because it does not move around just because the big toe moves around. Locating the origin (soul) within the head is more difficult, because you can't move the pieces around separately without a degree in neurosurgery. Here I use a second method suggested by the "big toe" example. If I focus on my big toe, I sense a kind of split in consciousness that I cannot long maintain. I try the same method on points in the cerebellum and get the same result. So, I conclude, the soul is not in the cerebellum any more than it is in the big toe. The point where I can longest maintain focus and where there is no sense of a split in consciousness is about where I described.

Of course, I'm not absolutely sure my soul is where I say. Almost anything declarative about the universe is a theory that may be replaced by a better one, but so far I don't see a better one.

Quote:
Quote:
Appearance is known directly, certainly, and precisely. Reality lies beyond appearance and is known only indirectly, uncertainly, and imprecisely. Reality is known only by the indications that flow from it into the soul.

With the exception of your statement about the "Flow of reality", I would take the opposite road, that it is appearance that is uncertain, and reality that is concrete. We might not be 100% sure of reality, but it is still "true." Appearance, however, is a far more unstable idea. Am I misinterpreting your point?

I like the idea of consciousness being the "umbilical cord" between reality and the soul. I might not be too sure of it...but it's an interesting idea. :wink:

[/quote]

I think you are misinterpreting what I mean by the certainty of appearance. Appearance is unstable, but it is not uncertain. I may think the telephone pole I'm looking at is a tree. If so, I am certain that the appearance is of a tree, but I am wrong that the reality behind the appearance is a tree - it is a telephone pole. It's not that reality is uncertain, only that my knowledge of it is uncertain.

I don't see consciousness as an umbilical cord linking reality to the soul. You could say it's a "faculty" of the soul or that it is another name for the soul, but one that emphasizes a particular function, like "the president of Russia" is another name for Putin. The umbilical cords are appearance (indications) and will (volitions).
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 03:04 pm
Heim

Sounds to me that your argument here is artificial.

One could easily define "soul" as "fingerprints"...and then suggest one looks at one's finger tips to confirm the existence of a soul.

If that is what you folks are about in this thread...it is going nowhere.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 05:26 pm
Heimdall: Thanks for the clarification. Glad to know we're on the same page, at least on the topic of truth.
As far as the soul goes, however, I've made my declaration earlier, and, judging from your post, we're talking about the same thing, just in different terms; you as a "holy" entity separate from the body, and me as a kind of overmind that's connected to all of us. I don't agree with your method for "finding" the soul, but I'm willing to "agree to disagree", etc. :wink:
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 11:12 pm
And what if "soul" were replaced by "ego", that feeling of a self in the head, just behind the bridge of the nose?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 12:02 am
The soul is the repository for wisdom earned. As such it does not exist prior to its first acquisition.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 05:04 am
"These fellows have some soul."-Iago meaning I suppose chutzpah,vitality,vivacity etc.

"This look of thine will hurl my soul from heaven,
And fiends will snatch at it..."-Othello.Here must mean something immortal.

That's a wide enough gulf to allow this thread everlasting happiness.

spendius.
0 Replies

val

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:02 am
Heimdall

In order to understand your answers I have to know something:
What do you mean by soul? What is the soul? How do you describe it? What are it's properties?

Please, don't answer by saying what a soul isn't.
0 Replies

heimdall

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 07:22 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Heim

One could easily define "soul" as "fingerprints"...and then suggest one looks at one's finger tips to confirm the existence of a soul.

Frank:

I think there is some justification to your complaint, although I wasn't attempting to prove the existence of the soul in my most recent post or in my response to Taliesin. I was trying to convey what my concept of the soul is and was somewhat carried away with my recent discovery of a reasonable argument for where it is located. But, here I will try to convince you and others of its existence.

Almost everyone accepts the existence of "consciousness", not merely as a physiological state, but as a name for whatever it is that is the root of our perception of the flow of thoughts, sensations, etc. (indications) as a unity of some kind. To assert that consciousness exists is to assert that there is such a unity, i.e., that the indications in the flow are more than just an arbitrary aggregate. I pick up a cat and move it and a whole bundle of connected things move with it - fur, paws, eyeballs, etc. In similar fashion, if I move my head, the bundle of connected indications moves with it. In this respect, consciousness is like a cat and, I think, one is justified in saying it exists.

However, there are a couple problems with consciousness. First, we have no obvious objective counterpart. Consciousness appears to be immaterial, although clearly associated with a material object (your head). You will seek in vain for a material explanation of it in physics texts. Second, consciousness is a deficient kind of object. At least in the minds of most American philosophers, consciousness has no reaction on the world. If I kick a cat, I feel in my foot the reaction to that kick. But, they believe, that if you kick a man in the head, it affects his consciousness, but that his response follows solely from the laws of physics and not from the fact that he is mad enough to kill you. Consciousness then is purely passive (epiphenomenal).

The concept of the soul is that consciousness is only one side of an object whose other side is the will. Consciousness is the input, the will is the output. Consciousness is not, then, a first class object like a rock, but a functional view of a first class object. Consciousness is to the soul as "absorber of photons" is to a rock.

That consciousness exists is to me obvious. That there is a reaction on the world that proceeds somehow depending on the contents of consciousness is also obvious. By putting consciousness and will together, I get a first class object, something that is acted upon (knows) and reacts (wills). I call this first class object the "soul", for which designation there is ample justification in the history of Western philosophy.

Once you accept that the soul exists, there arises the question of where exactly it is located. It can be somewhere in this universe or somewhere in another universe or nowhere. The least weird answer is that it is in this universe. If it is in this universe, then it could be somewhere in my head or it could be, say, buried under Mt. Kilimanjaro by an alien civilization and communicating with my mind by frequency modulated tachyon beams. Again, the least weird answer is that it is somewhere in my head. This then connects up with my previous post regarding the soul's precise location.

Taliesin:

Your view of the soul as a poetic expression of the collective unconscious derives from a different idea of the soul than does mine. I don't really see a conflict, just two different ideas that are not about the same thing.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 12:20 pm
Heimdall: Thanks for the "peace offering", or whatever you want to call it. Again, I don't agree with your views, but I do respect them, and you argue them well. Your last post in particular was very nicely constructed. Keep up the good work.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:27 pm
heimdall wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Heim

Frank:

I think there is some justification to your complaint, although I wasn't attempting to prove the existence of the soul in my most recent post or in my response to Taliesin. I was trying to convey what my concept of the soul is and was somewhat carried away with my recent discovery of a reasonable argument for where it is located. But, here I will try to convince you and others of its existence.

Almost everyone accepts the existence of "consciousness", not merely as a physiological state, but as a name for whatever it is that is the root of our perception of the flow of thoughts, sensations, etc. (indications) as a unity of some kind. To assert that consciousness exists is to assert that there is such a unity, i.e., that the indications in the flow are more than just an arbitrary aggregate. I pick up a cat and move it and a whole bundle of connected things move with it - fur, paws, eyeballs, etc. In similar fashion, if I move my head, the bundle of connected indications moves with it. In this respect, consciousness is like a cat and, I think, one is justified in saying it exists.

However, there are a couple problems with consciousness. First, we have no obvious objective counterpart. Consciousness appears to be immaterial, although clearly associated with a material object (your head). You will seek in vain for a material explanation of it in physics texts. Second, consciousness is a deficient kind of object. At least in the minds of most American philosophers, consciousness has no reaction on the world. If I kick a cat, I feel in my foot the reaction to that kick. But, they believe, that if you kick a man in the head, it affects his consciousness, but that his response follows solely from the laws of physics and not from the fact that he is mad enough to kill you. Consciousness then is purely passive (epiphenomenal).

The concept of the soul is that consciousness is only one side of an object whose other side is the will. Consciousness is the input, the will is the output. Consciousness is not, then, a first class object like a rock, but a functional view of a first class object. Consciousness is to the soul as "absorber of photons" is to a rock.

That consciousness exists is to me obvious. That there is a reaction on the world that proceeds somehow depending on the contents of consciousness is also obvious. By putting consciousness and will together, I get a first class object, something that is acted upon (knows) and reacts (wills). I call this first class object the "soul", for which designation there is ample justification in the history of Western philosophy.

Once you accept that the soul exists, there arises the question of where exactly it is located. It can be somewhere in this universe or somewhere in another universe or nowhere. The least weird answer is that it is in this universe. If it is in this universe, then it could be somewhere in my head or it could be, say, buried under Mt. Kilimanjaro by an alien civilization and communicating with my mind by frequency modulated tachyon beams. Again, the least weird answer is that it is somewhere in my head. This then connects up with my previous post regarding the soul's precise location.

I understand what you are saying, Heim, but to be honest (which I usually am)...

...to call this "consciousness" the soul...

...makes as much sense to me as calling my left kidney the soul.

Both are gratuitous definitions...yours to make the point you want to make...and mine to be humorously sarcastic (and to make the point I want to make.)

Not sure where this is all going...but, I'll certainly listen in and comment where I think it appropriate. I just don't see this heading in any worthwhile direction.
0 Replies

heimdall

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 07:56 am
Quote:

...to call this "consciousness" the soul...
...makes as much sense to me as calling my left kidney the soul.

Frank:

Let's recall what this thread is about. Taliesin asked the questions "What is the Soul?" and qualified his questions with these two statements:
Quote:
In today's era of science and brain mapping, the causes for emotions and thoughts are being rapidly defined. Given this new data, where does the "soul" fit in? Also, what is it?

Given the context, you will be hard pressed to find historical justification for defining the soul as your left kidney or your fingerprints!

Not so however with the definition of the soul as an immaterial object that knows and wills. ("Consciousness" is just a name for the soul in its capacity as knower rather than actor.) The immaterial stands in opposition to the material (science and brain mapping).

Let's take a look at the first definition for soul that you will find in Merriam Webster's online.
Quote:
1 : the immaterial essence, animating principle, or actuating cause of an individual life

This seems to me at least very close to what I am talking about. The soul is you, the essential you, the center of subjective existence. It is immaterial and through the will it causes you to act, thereby being at least a part of the "animating principle", which I take to mean what distinguishes the animate from the inanimate.

For a summary of the history of the term "soul" in Western civilization, see the Catholic Encyclopedia (also online). At the beginning of their section on the modern history of the soul is a paragraph about Descartes:
Quote:
Descartes conceived the soul as essentially thinking (i.e. conscious) substance, and body as essentially extended substance. ... In the Cartesian theory animals are mere automata. It is only by the Divine assistance that action between soul and body is possible.

Here, too, consciousness makes its appearance. Actions of body on soul (indications) and of soul on body (volitions) are the result of interventions of the Divine.

We find the relation between consciousness and soul even in Hindu Philosophy. From www.hinduwebsite.com referencing the Bhagavad-Gita:

Quote:
The soul is superior to everything else in the human being. It is said that the senses are great, greater than the senses is the mind, greater than the mind is buddhi and greater than the buddhi is the Self (3.42). The soul residing in the body is referred as the indwelling witness the Adhiyagna. We are told that when Purusha, also known as the Adhidaiva (Controlling Deity), resides in the body as the inner witness, He is becomes Adhiyagna or the Seat of Sacrifice(8.4).

"Indwelling witness" sounds to me like the "knower" or "consciousness".

Here are two separate translations of these key verses from the Bhagavad Gita:
Quote:
3.42 It is declared that the senses are superior, but more then the senses, the mind is superior, but more than the mind, the intelligence is superior and more than the intelligence that which is superior is the individual consciousness.
8.4 Physical nature is known to be endlessly mutable. The universe is the cosmic form of the Supreme Lord, and I am that Lord represented as the Supersoul, dwelling in the heart of every embodied being.

Quote:

3.42 The working senses are superior to dull matter; mind is higher than the senses; intelligence is still higher than the mind; and he [the soul] is even higher than the intelligence.
8.4 Perishable objects are the phenomenal existence, the omnipresent transcendental personality is the underlying foundation of all the demigods and I within the body certainly am the Lord of all sacrifices.

The King James version of the Bible uses the word "soul" in a way that is quite different from the definition I used, but it is hard not to see this notion of an indwelling witness (the light) and a material world (the darkness) in these verses from John I.
Quote:
4: In Him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5: And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

8: He [Christ] was not that Light but was went to bear witness of that Light.
9: That was the true Light which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

We find here as in the Bhagavad-Gita this notion that there is something in man that is from a universal power (God = the Supreme Lord = the omnipresent transcendal personality = the collective unconscious (per Taliesin)). You might even call it a confusion of what is in man (the soul) with God.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 08:37 am
Heim

You are quite correct...I have lost sight of the question posed at the topic of this thread.

Sorry about that.

In any case, obviously...if we define "soul" in the way you do...we have a soul.

I think it makes no sense to do that, however, because "soul" when its most essential context...religion...has a specific meaning, which almost always includes imortality.

My initial comments (using that assumption) stands...and I repeat it here:

Quote:
We have absolutely no idea if there are souls or not...just as we have absolutely no idea if there are gods or not. So spending time thinking about what souls or gods are like...should they exist...is probably wasted time.

I understand people of good will and intelligence can disagree with that.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:17 am
heim: I'll have to side with Frank on this one. "Soul" almost always has a religious connotation, so to just define it as consciousness removes the meaning of the soul, which is, as Frank said, a form of immortality. I've come up with something similar to the soul, which we've already talked about, but it's not the soul as has been traditionally discussed.

That being said, maybe we should come up with a defintion of "soul" that everyone can agree on - and move from there to the arguement of whether or not it exists. I realize that may be impossible, what with so many conflicting views, but I'd be willing to try.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 12:00 pm
Jumping in... foolishly but with both feet (yes, it is a dance):

Anything that has the cultural power of the soul concept is likely to be taken up by religion. That a religion stakes a claim, doesn't mean that we must accept their claim.

I expect that the soul is an impossible-to-capture burst of electrical-like energy that spontaneously occurs & re-occurs in conjunction with the chemical mix we call our brain. It may eventually be determined to be a cohesive set of sparticles or some other bit of physics that is beyond common understanding except through esoteric mathematics. Super-symmetry does begin to explain things... yet it won't matter. We'll all say, oh, and then go back to living our daily lives, little changed.

As to whether the soul lives on or even is fully immortal... no one in this sphere can judge. Yet to determine that the question cannot be answered doesn't mean it shouldn't be asked. It is the stuff of high discussions and higher claims.

I say that beyond the mind, beyond consciousness, beyond memories, beyond every thinking and feeling and creative process is an essential "I." This sometimes seems to direct the immediate present and sometimes seems to react to things beyond anything we can measure. I say seems to since it is true, what do we really know? Nevertheless, that the soul, your soul, might allow you to (apparently) sing and dance, can perhaps be known, and may be all that we need to know.

Who cares if it is immortal outside this sphere? Who cares if it cannot be measured? Who cares if some God-headed group of believers claims it? Who cares if some say it isn't there? The first is unknowable, the second won't matter, the third is a given and the fourth is their loss.
0 Replies

heimdall

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 01:07 pm
Taliesin181 wrote:
"Soul" almost always has a religious connotation, so to just define it as consciousness removes the meaning of the soul, which is, as Frank said, a form of immortality.

Taliesin,

Once again I'd like to emphasize that I am not defining the soul to be consciousness, but to be an immaterial entity that knows the world and acts upon it.

My sense is that religion is philosophy after the popular mind has first made a confused mess out of it and then institutionalized the mistakes. I think this may explain some mysterious sayings of Christ in Mathew 13:

Quote:
10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand
34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:
35 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying,
Quote:
I will open my mouth in parables;
I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

There is nearly hopeless ambiguity today about what the term "soul" refers to. In the Old Testament it is not the "soul" but the "spirit" that is immortal. The soul is destroyed at death, but the spirit, which is from God, returns to Him. The same is true in the New Testament except that Christ has the power to resurrect souls (think the "whole living person") to eternal life at his second coming. The concept of an immortal soul that might "converse with Hesiod and Homer" in an afterlife comes from Socrates (or Plato, no one knows for sure) more than 400 years before Christ. However, Plato's famous student Aristotle believed the soul did not survive the death of its host.

The reason for this ambiguity lies, I believe, in the failure of philosophy (even after 26 centuries!) to come up with a clear expression of the most fundamental concepts in life. Many tried. Many gave up. I think this reflects an attitude, which is well captured by these verses:

Quote:
Would you that spangle of existence spend
About THE SECRET? Quick about it friend!
A hair perhaps divides the false and true
And upon what, prithee, does life depend?

A hair perhaps divides the false and true
And a single Alif were the clue
Could you but find it to the Treasure House
And peradventure to THE MASTER, too.

Whose secret presence through Creation's veins
Running Quicksilver-like eludes your pains
Taking all shapes from Mah to Mahi and
They change and vanish all but He remains!

Come to think of it, this may be something like Frank's attitude.
0 Replies