What are your "Top 10" film picks for 2002?

larry richette

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 12:10 am
Larry BS--They sure will because the movie is called BOWLING For Columbine, not Waiting for Columbine LOL!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 01:47 am
hasn't the US seen "Bowling for Columbine" yet?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 02:48 am
I know what its called Larry, LOL, it was a simple mistake, LOL. I've seen it, LOL!!!!
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 04:10 am
BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE was released in a few cities by the beginning of January and is showing all over the country by now, but documentaries don't draw very big audiences here, so they usually show in smaller houses. If they make it to mainstream theaters, they aren't there long.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 11:05 am
Haven't seen that many films due to poverty but thought that not only was The Quiet American the best film of the year, it was a cinematic masterpiece.

The Pianist is also wonderful as a depiction of the time but I was disappointed in Adrien Brody.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 11:28 pm
Why is that , plain? I haven't seen the movie yet.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 11:17 am
Top 10
Not certain which one you referred to Larry BS, The Pianist or The Quiet American.

The Quiet American was challenging and thrilling. It took more than an hour for me to look at my watch, rather than the usual 20 minutes. I loved the way the film worked as a whole, with all the details contributing to the scheme of things.

If you are asking about The Pianist, I found Brody almost without affect, as a friend of mine says. I wondered if the real Szpilman had a personality.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 11:19 pm
Sorry about that, I meant why did you think that about Brody. Thanks.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 04:23 am
These are the 10 best movies I saw in a cinema last year:

1. A Werckmeister Harmoniák / Werckmeister Harmonies (Tarr)
2. Tirez sur la Pianiste / Shoot the Pianist (Truffaut, an oldie, on rerun)
3. Divoké vcely / Wild Bees (Slama)
4. Serbie, Année Zéro (Markovic)
5. În fiecare zi Dumnezeu ne saruta pe gura / Everyday God Kisses Us on the Mouth (Dragin)
6. Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain / Amélie (Jeunet)
7. Maimil / The Chimp (Abdykalykov)
8. Nami / Wave (Hiroshi)
9. Lord of the Rings II: The Two Towers (Jackson)
10. A Beautiful Mind (Howard)

A Werckmeister Harmoniák was absolutely stunning, and will be one of my favorite movies all time.

I was dissapointed last year by Y Tu Mama Tambien (found it a bit boring), Heaven (by Tykwer and Kieslowski - such great names and such a brilliant start of the movie - and then it just - derails somewhere, making itself simply ridiculous by the end), and Gosford Park; while Kandahar just had us laugh out in disbelief - such self-indulgent, superficial and false pathos.
0 Replies