Should I give notice

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 09:01 pm
I am working a job where my boss and co-worker are both very passive aggressive and talk negatively about me to each other when I am in the room and instead of instructing me they leave me to flounder then tell me after what I should of done after time is wasted. I have found a new job and my boss is away on vacation. She responds extremely to anything bad. Should I give notice or just work and quit. I am expecting to be given a hard time or even being told to get out when I give notice.

roger

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 10:00 pm
@Frustrated1,
If they have a history of essentially firing people for quitting, keep in mind that you owe them the same courtesy they owe you.

Depending on conditions, failure to give notice might not be a good career move, but neither is being fired, which seems to be a possibility. In any case, do get out of there.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 10:29 pm
@Frustrated1,
Frustrated1 wrote:

I am working a job where my boss and co-worker are both very passive aggressive and talk negatively about me to each other when I am in the room and instead of instructing me they leave me to flounder then tell me after what I should of done after time is wasted. I have found a new job and my boss is away on vacation. She responds extremely to anything bad. Should I give notice or just work and quit. I am expecting to be given a hard time or even being told to get out when I give notice.

Well you already have a new job so you have any worry over not having employment.

So the question becomes, do you want to be the good person? Or have some fun revenge?

If you get fired its sort of meaningless if you think you'll be at this new job long enough to be a better reference for you in the future?

So if you want to be the good guy here. Give notice and take what ever nastiness they give you knowing you are doing the right thing.

Or.

Have some fun. Get some anchovies and hide them somewhere in the office they will never find. Glue shut some drawers and file cabinets with super glue. Change the hand soap in the office bathroom to peper spray. Add your bosses and co-workers phone number to a looking for sex only website. Add the office address to as many junk mailer companies you can possibly find. Make sure to add their names to the nail list and find obnoxious embarrassing mailing lists. Make sure all the office computers get viruses. Or improvise with your own ideas.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 07:09 am
@Frustrated1,
You already have another job. Give one week's notice (two weeks is a courtesy but is not necessary). If they fire you beforehand, then they do so - it does not matter, and take the few days to take a break, or start the new job early.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 07:29 am
@Frustrated1,
I'd give notice, this is something that may bite you on the arse later. A future employer may check more than one previous job and something like leaving without notice could be held against you.

jespah

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 10:37 am
@izzythepush,
That's what I was thinking. The OP can rise above it and be the better person.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 10:52 am
@jespah,
If you behave well and they try to stitch you up you can fight your corner, it's a lot harder if there's an element of truth in what they say.
jespah

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 11:02 am
@izzythepush,
Agreed.
0 Replies

Frustrated1

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:06 pm
@Frustrated1,
An update. I ended up compromising and giving a weeks notice. The boss was away on vacation out of the country at the 2 week point and mostly out of contact and unable to do anything about it so worrying her with it seemed like a bad idea. I gave her written notice. She had me work one day of the week of notice and then decided to call it quits at the end of the day as I suspected she would do. I think the only reason I got to work the one day was because the task of that day is easier with 3 people. I'm glad I didn't give 2 weeks notice. I can't afford to be out of work for 2 weeks because she is petty.
jespah

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 02:08 pm
@Frustrated1,
Onto better things, then. Smile
0 Replies