Cen and Nat, love ya

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 12:22 pm
Quote:
1. ....different interpretations. ...marble museum as ‘a museum built with marble’ ... stress on the head, ... ‘a museum where marble objects are displayed’, ...stress on the modifier.
Nat again I must congratulate you once more for your interest in our goofy language and your determination. The esl, your Average Clod (me), and the old folk (me again) might have spent the better part of an hour deciphering your otherwise perfectly straightforward q

For instance, owing in this connection to my ignorance of the term 'head,' I had interpreted it to ask whether or not you should place the 'a' before 'marble,' and wondering whether you were also concerned whether it should be in italic (which incidentally set me to wondering when one uses the singular or plural of that word). Only the kind patience on your part in further explanations resolved what you had meant by 'modifier,' as I had interpreted that possibly to mean 'a' as a modifier of 'marble museum'....

...especially after your " 'head' refers to the right-hand element [and] 'modifier' refers to the left-hand element," since some of us might have thought 'a' to be the one to the left; raising many additional unrequired q's regarding the use of " ' " v " " " and, then, whether it is better written 'v' or 'vs'. Of course there reemains some q a bout my use of 'it' in the foregoing sentence...

Note To TAATANE: Cmon fellas, I'm just sorta kiddin' for the chuckle value, which I realize, unfortunately, that you don't have
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,215 • Replies: 1
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 12:53 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
reemains some q a bout

Amain Mgmt, cut me off right in the middle...

For the TAATANE, s/b

remains some q about,

....while q = question, while s/b = should be

And oh, Cen, no not you. As w/ Nat I admire your persistence also
0 Replies