How do you rank the Alien series?

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 05:23 pm
My ranking would be: Aliens, Alien, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, Prometheus.
Alien Covenant may be a reasonable follow-up, but based on the recently released trailer it'll likely just be yet another sequel that fails to live up to the true greatness of Aliens.

Funny thing is, Alien 3 may be as good as the original Alien. Would you agree with that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,227 • Replies: 4
No top replies

centrox

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 05:36 pm
Just love Ridley Scott.
Thomas33

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 05:50 pm
@centrox,
I used to think highly of Scott, but not anymore. Alien and Blade Runner are always good films, but they're nowhere near as exciting as many other movies - examples including Mortal Kombat, The Terminator and The Thing (2011).
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 08:13 pm
@Thomas33,
Keep in mind that with the weaker entries into a series, a good fanedit of the movie could bring that weaker entry up to par with the masterpieces.

I'm not familiar with Alien series fanedits, but I've heard of them and know there are efforts to fix the weaker movies.
Thomas33

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 08:37 pm
@oralloy,
Alien 3 went through lots of rewrites, although the overall product has a lot of merit. Resurrection would need edits when it comes to banter between the crew that Ripley aligns herself with. At least, Resurrection feels like it does needless humour.

By and large, the problem with the canon has been the inconsistent tone: each sequel feels different to the previous entry. Aliens is more cinematic than Alien, Alien 3 is without the gritty charisma of Aliens, and Resurrection is Alien 3 but to the extreme.

I'd say Aliens is the best because of the emotional story, and because of the momentum - aided by the dark blue palette, and dark sense of reality.
Alien does suspense well, and foreboding, but it's also too clinical.

Alien 3 is an odd case; on one level, it feels like a deeply relevant expression of existentialism, but on another is just downright gloomy.

In terms of tone vs. story, Aliens is impressive in having a harmony; it can technically be seen as not having a tone that suits the unrealistic nature of the story, but still works so very well because of the sheer excellence of details. Alien, meanwhile, has the more realistic story but suffers from too much emphasis on reality.
0 Replies