littlek

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:48 pm
hahahaha, Gus, it's good for you. But, really, slip some whiskey into your tea.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:52 pm
Left is a long scarf with organic 'green' thick-thin cotton and olive squiggly yarn (also cotton, but not organic), middle is the one that is taking forever to finish made with berry silk and terracotta linen, right is the turqousie squiggle yarn by itself.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0WgDvAucdD6kdja!yCufteo1NpB*UQbeN5T4MqGcnHNxwRAtpUa8q2MMw4UeU6eiCIrnDPWToW8iB*nk3wStq6w74c*hwa6mYoYZQXLNuZFCZQbCS994u*YEq1BmCS04DF7UF7L1lUlM/olivemarl_terracotta_turqouise.JPG
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 08:54 pm
Wow! Gorgeous! Especially partial to the berry silk.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:03 pm
I've never used silk yarn, I bet it feels elegant. Those are really nicely stitched and colorful scarvesÂ…turquoise is one of my favorite colors.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:05 pm
http://www.handknitting.com/images/Louet/Yarns/euroflx11.jpg

bringing one of the yarn samples over from the previous page
(is it the silk and linen, or something else)

Very nice work, l'k.

Now for a poncho or a coupla hats ...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:43 pm
The picture you brought over, Beth is the brand of linen, but the color in that scarf is a light terracotta color. The darker, berry color is a seperate silk yarn.

Thanks Soz and Colorbook. Wool makes me itch, so I need to find other fibers to knit with. And, I hate synthetics, unless they're decorative. One scarf I made and gave away before posting a pic had a soft grey blue cotton-tencel yarn base and a fuzzy nylon yarn in a dark teal.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 09:57 pm
I've always liked (or it seems like always) silk sweaters...
in contrast to silk blouses, which require ironing, not my favorite thing.

Lovely, lovely, littlek...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:20 pm
I like the knit silk way more than the shirt silk too. I love raw silk, nubby silk, unshiny silk..... it's hard to find. I can find it undyed and unbleached, but I don't know how to dye.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:27 pm
I still have an old Tweed's, or was it that silk company? silk tweedy jacket. I think it was size 10, I've a bit to go to fit in it. The perfect jacket.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Jan, 2005 11:34 pm
Nice, what color?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 08:07 am
Tweeds! That's amazing, as soon as you started talking about silk I thought of this wonderful gold (not metallic, but "yellow" isn't right, much deeper/ richer) raw silk sweater with a roll neck I wore all the time in H.S./ early college. There was an outlet/ overstock place in Mpls that had lots of Tweeds stuff CHEAP. Loved that place.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:10 am
hmmmm, Tweeds.... I haven't seen one of their magazines in a long time. Are they still in buisness?
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 07:42 am
Is there a Needlework Forum?
Hi everyone, I knit too, and love to talk about it. My sister taught me Continental, SO much easier than American, esp. when you're doing knit/purl combinations. I only use the US method when using 2 colors in a row, and then it's a bit of a struggle as US seems so awkward to me. Anyway, all the stuff I made knitting turned out sort of....ugly. Nothing ever fit me right, and I had the hardest time figuring out how it would fit until after it was completely done.

I used to sew all my own clothes, back when I was in the corporate world. Even made tailored suits. Some stuff just didn't work, but I had much better success with sewing than with knitting.

I knit, crochet, sew, bead, embroider, weave, make lace, just about anything involving fabric, thread, & yarn, except for quilting & tatting. Is there a forum for needlecrafts? Guess not, eh? Can we start one?

My latest project is embroidery of all the types of flowers in our yard, done on a set of beautiful linen napkins (8 of them) which I got at a thrift store for $2.50. I love thrift stores! Just started the drawings for them, I plan to lace them all together into a wall hanging when I'm done. I'm not very good at drawing, but you really don't have to be to draw for embroidery.

I just got a Fantastic Deal on eBay for perle cotton, I got 140+ balls of it for $15. since it was listed under sewing thread instead of embroidery thread. Mostly DMC brand, my favorite! I was so happy when it arrived, hubby had to take a picture of me gloating over it! I just Love perle cotton for embroidery, way better than embroidery floss. I don't like to separate the floss strands, and perle cotton is way more shiney with more vivid colors (in my opinion).

I have more yarn than should be legal, having collected it all at thrift stores or eBay. I don't even go to the local yarn shop, given the prices are SO HIGH! Cripes, I couldn't even make one sweater at those prices.

Recently got 2 weaving looms (simple table ones) on eBay, and have found I Love weaving. Way faster than knitting, and a lot easier for me. It just whips right along!

Anyway I could talk all day about needlecrafts. But no forum? Crying or Very sad Waaaahhhh!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 08:54 am
Start a thread on it!

I mostly just sew and embroider. Interested in knitting/ crocheting in a vague way, though I'm scared of yarn lust. Maybe just a craft thread? I have taken pics of Christmas presents I made the last few years with intentions of posting them (have talked about several of them here) but never did. (Pottery, embroidery, painted wood birdhouses, etc.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 10:48 am
wow, boriskitten is our needle craft queen!

Soz, do post pix!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 11:41 am
I was an avid knitter for years. Because I was so tall I was never able to buy sweaters with sleeves that were long enough so I started knitting my own in high school. I stopped when my second daughter was born and I've never really picked it back up again. I keep saying I'm going to.... someday I will.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2006 02:22 pm
http://www.plan59.com/images/JPGs/knitter_1952_01.jpg

1952!
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 4 Jul, 2006 01:34 pm
oooooo! (dancing on kitty feet!)

I love to knit! I learned when I was a kid! My cousin taught me one summer when I was about 8 years old.

It was tough at first, but I just kept watching my cousin. By the end of the summer, I was a knitting fool!

As well as knitting and purling, you can knit or purl in "the back of a stitch" for a different effect. You can even knit-purl-knit all in one stitch for a "popcorn" effect. There are so many different looks you can achieve.

littlek, don't write off learning to knit the "American" way. It's awkward at first, but it's not really hard. It just takes some practice.

I'll bet if you looked in your area, you'd find a craft shop where they offer knitting classes that are inexpensive. One good thing about needlecrafts -- it's not an expensive hobby!

I do cross stitch too. It's fun, and easy to learn!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 06:25 pm
Anyone still knitting?

I've recently started teaching a coupla people at work to knit during lunch hours, and I'm getting hooked again.

Knit purl
Knit purl

I found thispattern which totally shouted out littlek when I saw the results

http://www.garnstudio.com/drops/mag/86/15/15-1.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 06:35 pm
Beech leaves!

Those booties are felted, yes? I should try to make socks again someday. I still haven't gotten over the humiliation from my last attempt.
0 Replies