dagmaraka

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 10:54 am
we'll see. if i'm good all day, i could come for a movie in the late evening. And we can knit.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 12:08 pm
knitting parties are fun - 'cept it's kinda hard to drink when you're knitting.
Great when you're dieting - difficult to eat.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 06:09 pm
we can use a straw!

Sorry, Dasha, the movie has to be a matinee - an afternoon show so I can shoot the cat. It's down in Quincy which adds another 1/2 hour to the whole thing.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 07:31 pm
oh, i meant rent a movie, sit in a living room and knit kind of a movie, ya know.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 08:03 pm
It's hard to knit and watch a movie at the same time. If the movie is real good...you will do more watching than knitting.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 08:16 pm
Until the knitting gets to be second nature, then you can knit anywhere anyplace, mostly. Er, unless you are doing argyle socks...
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 08:22 pm
...but if you're cable knitting, then changing yarn colors and creating new stitches every eight rows...it can be hard to put your mind on anything else Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 08:39 pm
Well, yeah, the every (x) rows thing of adding on at the end takes a bit of attention. I have some great sweater patterns, where the sweaters are almost like fur coats, but I stopped when my eyes got the need for bifocals thing, which was also about the time I was studying night and day for my landarch boards. After I got through that, I started up with painting again, and haven't knit since. But I still have the great patterns and some wonderful yarns in the top of my hall closet.

I inherited by swift greedy action, well, I and a co-worker, glommed on to some yarn a woman who shared our studio space mentioned getting rid of. (We sublet a studio space from some clothing designers..) Well, we each paid about thirty dollars, but they were worth much more. Anyway, they were gorgeous yarns from France and Belgium and Switzerland, if I remember correctly. Not enough of any to make a sweater, but substantial amounts of each nonetheless. I made some cool mixed yarn "vests", if I do say so myself. I still wear one as a sort of coat-vest. I should take a photo of it one day. I also did a thick multiple strand cocoa mohair vest, damn I loved that, but it was a little itch-inducing for moi.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 08:49 pm
funny, i never really think of looking at my knitting.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 08:55 pm
Osso, you have some beautiful paintings in the gallery; my mother is also a painter.

I have a lot of yarn and patterns too, put away in a large suit case. It's been 15 years since I last knitted anything...I wonder if I'll ever take it up again. It seems I spend most if of my spare time on the computer or playing the piano...no time for any other hobbiesÂ…next year I may be doing something else instead.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 11:40 pm
The piano....

colorbook, I like your avatar!

We could have a knitting circle, covering different places and times...

My mother and aunt, when I was a child, used to go to Bullock's department store for knitting sessions. They both made dresses, out of nubby rather skinny yarns. I tried to knit with it later and it was damnably annoying. Good dresses with very even stitches. It is a symbol of my sorrow for lost things that when I deaccessioned my mother's things, the dresses went. (slash to my own neck, now.) The only thing I can say in my own behalf is I had a lot on my mind, as she had alzheimer's and I had to sell the house to pay for the care.

Turned out I didn't have to, but I learned that too late.

Life has its whirlies.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 07:52 pm
I took my niece to the store so she could pick out some yarn for a scarf. She'd said that she wanted a scarf just like the one I was knitting for myself. But, when we got there, she picked out baby pink yarn (I convinced her toward more of an orchid) and a new style black hairy yarn with multi-colored nubbins in it. I have no idea what to do with these two. I guess I'll make skinny bands of the black stuff in the pink scarf. Her mom will kill me (haha!).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 12:18 am
I had quite a progenitorship re knitting as my mother and aunt spent whole parts of weeks knitting dresses of gdamn nubby yarn. I know about the gdamn part since I tried to knit with it later. And those dresses were evenly knitted, some kind of knitting miracle. They spent hours at Bullock's department store, and I did too, being seven, I guess I explored the yarn department thoroughly.

The sad news is that I gave those dresses away, when I cleaned up stuff from my mother with (not known then, but alzheimer's). Kills me, about, to think of them now. But I was balancing a lot at the time. I saved stuff and gave away stuff every day; I was in my twenties. Can only look back with a bow.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 06:01 pm
Osso - That's hard...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 08:16 pm
okay, this is the crazy yarn I was talking about:
http://www.lionbrand.com/stores/eyarn/pictures/220-254b.jpg

That will compromise the stripes in a scarf this color:
http://www.sugarncream.com/data/product/sample/sample_10200100046.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:44 pm
I think the scarf is looking pretty good and my niece likes it too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 11:57 pm
I didn't answer since I have no clue about that particular crazy yarn...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:44 am
Knitting the 'crazy' yarn as separate stripes is an interesting concept.
Good work, l'k.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 12:09 pm
I like that crazy yarn! I'd want a whole scarf of it - but it was probably lots more expensive than the plainer one.

My mom was an expert knitter. The craft shop would pay her to knit up samples for them and people were always bringing her their half-finished projects when they were "ruined".

She made several dresses, like your mom did osso. The one I remember best had sequins too. They were slid on to every other (?) stitch.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:33 pm
Well, that crazy yarn is actually two yarns twisted together. The black hairy stuff is seperate from the nubby color stuff. So, I get a lot of extra stitches when doing the black rows and I blend lots of stitches back together too. The crazy yarn hides mistakes well.

The paper on the crazy yarn says you could knit a whole scarf with one roll if you used big needles and made it airy. It was $6/roll.
0 Replies