Euthanasia for depression

aoirira

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 07:53 am
Hello.

I have suffered from what you could informally call "depression" for a long time (I hesitate to put forward a strict "start" date for my problems due to poor "time memory" and other reasons, but let's just say it's more than 5 years, possibly even more than 10). Simply put, I feel psychological pain for a long time and I do not have hope that it will be alleviated in the future. Also, even if there hypothetically was a chance that my inner situation will change, I do not really want to keep hoping and trying to achieve it. I do not feel like it's worth it, subjectively speaking.

I have attempted to kill myself several times, but have failed for various reasons. However, I honestly do not want to keep on living. I am also afraid of pain and "stress" associated with an "imperfect" death. I do not have the guts to get hit by a train, jump off a tall building or hang myself. For this reason, I hope euthanasia could be the answer that I am looking for.

I did not research it thoroughly yet, mostly because I was worried that for two reasons, it is not a realistic option for me... One being the price and the other, and perhaps more important of the two, is that I thought that no one will legally euthanise me "just" because of "mere" psychological pain/depression/whatever you want to call it. However, I grow increasingly desperate in terms of my options (death-wise, not treatment-wise), so I thought I'll give it a try. I've read that in Belgium, people with European Health Insurance card can undergo euthanasia for free (which is much more affordable for me than 4,000 - 7,000 euros Dignitas clinic charges for euthanasia), and I have also read about a case of a girl that was approved euthanasia for depression or some such, so that gives me a lot of hope.

Could anyone please give me any helpful advice on how I can achieve euthanasia, considering what I have said? Are there generally strict rules for euthanasia that would not allow me to have euthanasia "just because I feel unhappy for a long time", or can that be a reason? (I have also been formally diagnosed with "social phobia", "borderline/emotionally unstable personality disorder" and such, but I don't like to use those labels to describe my mental health) Where could I get euthanasia for these reasons, considering that I am not making the decision under some "temporary confusion of mind" or some such, and that I am sui iuris? I would be really grateful for help in the way of information which would lead me to the desired end.

Very much looking forward to a reply. <3

jespah

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 11:36 am
I know you don't want to hear it, but your depression is making you feel that trying to get better is not worth it. Except that it is worth it to try to get better, because that is one of the many, many ways that chronic depression lies to people.

I urge you to seek help and try to save your own life with the same kind of attention to detail and interest you seem to be taking in trying to end it.
http://www.iasp.info/resources/Crisis_Centres/Europe/
aoirira

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 04:46 am
@jespah,
Thank you for your answer. I appreciate your effort and good will, but I am not interested. I look for an answer to my question about euthanasia, not for psychological counselling. Other than that, there is no objective way of measuring what is worth it and what is not. Worth is totally subjective, and to me subjectively it is not worth it to keep trying anymore. I am not able to force myself to try anymore anyhow. All I can do is passively waste my time away and divert my attention with easy fun like video games, and that is just prolonging my sufferring. Better if I go. If you have a different opinion, I respect it, but I urge you not to waste your time and effort, and my time and effort, by posting further such replies as your first one.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 01:32 pm
@aoirira,
If you aren't interested in the predictable responses you will get from people who are not suffering the same mental illnesses as you then you should just use Google or seek professional medical advice.

Sure that doesn't come with the same audience but it doesn't look like you are interested in what people without depression would have to say anyway so if you are that concerned with wasting their time why not skip the exercise in futility altogether?

Edit: in case it's not clear my point is that you can't expect us not to care about you just because you are a total stranger. If you ask the public about suicide you are going to have to deal with some empathy coming your way and you should expect us to be wary about getting fecklessly involved in helping a stranger commit suicide.
aoirira

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:47 am
@Robert Gentel,
Well, empathy can manifest in many ways. One of the ways is to be empathical towards my sufferring and respecting my decision to end it, as IMHO only the person concerned can really evaluate how he suffers and whether he wants to keep fighting or not; because no one else can experience my mind and feelings other than myself. 24/7 on top of that.

Other than that, it's not like you would be telling me how to cut my wrists properly or how to hang myself. I am asking about LEGAL options for euthanasia. That is a completely legitimate question I think, and I don't think it would break any laws to provide such information (laws of the type "inciting to suicide" or "assisting in suicide"). Anyhow, if you won't answer me, I will find someone else who will. I will just have to search a bit more, spending more time.
blatham

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 05:26 am
@aoirira,
Those of us who have suffered depression and/or considered escaping that suffering through suicide will inevitably have deeply sincere empathy for and understanding of what you've been going through, aoirira.

But what ought we to say to you here if we have emerged from such a psychological state? We know that severe depression carries with it an absolute certainty that things will never change and the torment will never cease - that is a feature of the malady. And though this notion/feeling is utterly compelling at times, it is not the actual truth. Our minds play a nasty little trick on us in this.

I think the decision you're considering is the most personal decision one could make. And I deem it an absolute right in the manner you appear to deem it. But I also have personal knowledge that such mental states are the consequence of the chemistry of our brains. That is it. Too much of this molecule or too little of that molecule. You're clearly a smart fellow and you surely understand this. I didn't give up. I'm very, very glad I didn't.

If the avatar you have posted is you or a reasonable facsimile, you're a young person. If you were in the dwindling states of life, beset by physical disabilities and pain which are surely only going to get worse and thus your future only bleaker and more awful, I would take some time to help you in your search.
aoirira

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 08:00 am
@blatham,
I certainly understand that, blatham. However, my conviction to not fight depression does not stem only from the small likelihood (subjective impression) that the state will improve in the future, but also from the fact that I feel that I do not want to fight anymore, even if I would have a high possibility of getting cured in a few years.

The picture is old, but I am still relatively young. 23 years old.

Anyhow, again - as much as I appreciate your concern, I do not look for psychological counselling and unless you are willing to provide me with information about legal euthanasia in Europe and the options that are available, then it's a waste of time both for me and you.
Miller

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 11:01 am
@aoirira,
Quote:
I am also afraid of pain and "stress" associated with an "imperfect" death

On A2K, I've mentioned this aspect of suicide, fairly often. With an "imperfect" death, you could end up in a hospital, bed-ridden and unable to care for yourself. I've witnessed this situation in the hospital on several occasions, especially when the patient in-question is/was comatose.

While , such a situation is terrible for the victim, it is usually almost unbearable for family and loved ones. It's especially sad, when the patient is young, as is the case with many college-age suicide victims.

In the US, as far as I know, Utah is the only State in which assisted suicide is legal. A recent candidate in the US for the Supreme Court has stated publicly and strongly that he is against physician-assisted suicide.

I cannot take a position on suicide, whether it be self-inflicted or physician assisted, because I've never been in a mental/physical state that would drive me to a state, where I considered my life to be unlivable.

In general, I do support physician-assisted suicide, in those US States, where it is legal ...I also would support any individual/patient, who feels that nothing else, other than suicide, could eliminate their pain, in their choice of a physician-assisted suicide.
blatham

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 05:11 am
@aoirira,
"I feel that I don't want to fight anymore". Yeah, I know. It's exhausting in a manner very difficult to communicate to others. The word "exhausting" isn't really up to the task of describing the thing. May I ask you if you have some notion of causation?
aoirira

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 11:07 am
@blatham,
Correct... I do have some vague notion of various causal forces behind my current state, but I am no longer interested in discussing it. I am interested in finding out what requirements do I have to fulfill to get legally euthanised in Belgium. Can you help me with that?
aoirira

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 11:08 am
@Miller,
Even if I would not survive, I do not want to undergo a painful and prolonged death.
blatham

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 01:58 pm
@aoirira,
If you can't afford local resources nor legal advice, I guess you are just going to have to dig into the internet and do the necessary research, aoirira. It's unlikely you'd get such specialized knowledge on a site like this one.

One more question, if you don't mind... have you been on any meds previously for the problem?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 04:41 pm
@aoirira,
aoirira wrote:

Even if I would not survive, I do not want to undergo a painful and prolonged death.

Physician assisted suicide in the US is conducted by pain-free and non-prolonged methods.
0 Replies