sign language

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 06:30 pm
There is a deaf woman at work, and she has inspired me to want to learn sign language. Does anyone here speak sing language? Recomend a good book perhaps? Is it a hard language to learn? Any info on it would be great, thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,424 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Odd Socks

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 06:59 pm
It's best to learn them from other people, or, at least videos. Books aren't so good to learn sign language from because motion is important. If you live in the city it's unlikely that you'll have any trouble finding a course.

BTW which sign language are you trying to learn ( American Sign language, British sign language or Auslang)? Smile It's probably an obvious question, but I can't remember where you are from.

Sign languages are as complex as other languages in terms of grammar but the vocabulary for concrete objects tends to be more obvious than in spoken languages, which can make it a little easier.

I'm trying to learn Auslang at the moment ( or at least makaton, which is a lot simpler than formal sign languages) to use with clients. So I'm not an expert, but I hope that helps anyway.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 07:08 pm
Thanks O.S, I was think about looking to see if maybe they offered some night classes at the college here, if they do, i'll take them for sure! I'm from Canada btw, so I guess I would want american sign language. Thanks for responding!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 07:18 pm
"Signing Naturally" is a great book/ video series. When I've taught ASL, that's what I've used. Heartily recommend taking a class if you can.

Good points Odd Socks, but I try to stay away from letting people think nouns are easier -- some of 'em are iconic (look like what they represent), but a lot of 'em are arbitrary, and "but why?" doesn't get you far and trips people up. I've said it's roughly equivalent to learning a Romance language for a native English speaker. (As opposed to like Japanese.)

(I'm deaf, but became deaf as a teenager so learned ASL late in life, not a first language. Have been fluent for about 7 years.)
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:00 pm
this is a thread near to my heart, not that im deaf nor do i know SL, but SL is the direction in which my life is headed.... I want to be a educator of the deaf... there is a story on why i want to be a deaf teacher... if you want to know i would be more then happy to share... but i am in the process of taking classes for ASL wish me luck
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:06 pm
Good luck on your classes seed, and I for one would love to hear or in this case read your story! Please share!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:06 pm
M.Ed in Deaf education here, Seed, so definitely interested!
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:18 pm
Smile Please share!
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:32 pm
Though I know who you all are, I do not "know" you. If you know what i mean Smile. Thus I do not know if you are christians and if you are saved or not. This story starts off with me in the beginning stages of my christian life. I had been invited by my friends church to go to a summer camp with them. I went, i was a bit ify about the whole thing. There happened to be a few deaf people in the youth group and two of them were girls. Rather pretty girls if I might add. Me being the friendly person that I am decided that I should try and make friends with them.. Easier said then done. they couldnt hear and I couldnt sign. Anyone see the delima I was faced with? Well I'm glad you saw it because for some reason I had not. One of the other people who was deaf was a guy and he took me under his wing and showed me enough to hold a small converstation with the girls. The basics "hi, whats up, you're pretty" you know pretty standard issue for a hearing guy trying to flirt with a hearing impared girl.

Eh so the story goes on. the two girls had boyfriends, who could sign of course, and thus i was a bit heart broken. But I was there to learn about the Lord and thus threw my focus that way. We would go to these things called "Hatch" they were the services, they would have music at the beginning of each service and me and my friends would get up and dance and sing and just be all around crazy. Just as luck would have it, there was another hearing impared child there. He was younger, only about 8 and sat up front with us so he could feel the base of the music and watch the lady signing. He would sit by and watch us dance and sign and not move but have a longing look in his face. So there I was, my only knowledge of sign language was only good for hitting on girls.

The first two days I tried and tried to get him up and dance and have a good time with us. But to no avail he would not. Then I sat down beside him and tried to hold a converstation with him. Told him my name and asked his. When this happened his eyes widen and he went wild... his hands moved with such speed i had no idea what he was saying. His mom laughed and was our middle man...er woman. The next day, day three, came about and we started sing and dance, you remember the story.. same as the first two days. So there i was, i appoarched him and this time he came up... he climbed on my shoulders and had a blast.

The next few days he wouldnt let me out of his sight, saved me a seat at each of the services, and asked me to dinner. The next to last night God spoke to me. He let me know that deaf childer were in my future. And sine i have always wanted to be a teacher, the two just connected.

The last service was a brutal one. I had to say goodbye to him. I said good bye to his dad, he thanked me, his eyes were a bit misty, we shook hands. His mom had flowing tears. Told me no one had ever been able to get him to open up. She hugged me close and wouldnt let me go. I was cool and calm. Didnt cry.

Then i said go by to brendon. Thats when I lost it. I looked down and his face was red, tears were streaming down his face. he had that little snot bubble at his nose. I couldnt hold back and more and the tears flowed. I hugged him and told him that i was going to be a teacher.

It was by far one of the best weeks of my life. And I know some of you reading this might not be christians, some of you might not believe in God at all. ANd i respect your believes. But for me, God and Jesus are two very real people/spirits. And I owe everything to them. My direction in life and my life. I kept in contact with Brendon and his family for a few years but we lost contact. but he stays with me even though.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:34 pm
Smile That's really special, thankyou for sharing it with us.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:36 pm
Yes, thanks for sharing!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:37 pm
Where do you plan to teach? Like, what kind of a setting?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:40 pm
I want to teach highschool biology
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:45 pm
cool! Are you studying as a teacher at the moment?

I couldn't work with mid- teens ! ARRGGHH!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:46 pm
OK -- mainstream? Deaf institute?

Just curious, though if you want advice I'm happy to give it... ;-)
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:47 pm
i am taking night classes right now... getting all those core classes out and basic sign.... i dont know if i want mainstream of deaf institute... there is a deaf school in my town so either is an option.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:54 pm
Seed, that is beautiful. You were certainly blessed to know so early and with such clarity what you wanted to do.

I know you'll do well.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:56 pm
we can only hope squinney
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:58 pm
and hope i shall... im on the right road right now Wink
0 Replies

Further Down The Spiral

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 02:20 pm
I've got the alphabet down cold, and let's just say a few more "tasteful" words also. That's about it. If I can get someone to put up with communicating one letter at a time, no problem Very Happy

awesome
0 Replies