Would you choose an easy life or a hard life?

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 05:58 am
Personally, if I had the choice, I would choose a life that is eternal, nothing but blissful, has no problems or hardships, and has no suffering, illnesses, or diseases. Some people would choose a hard life filled with hardships since they wish to grow and develop. But some people such as me have absolutely no need for growth, growth does not give any value to our lives, and it is all just pointless misery and turmoil for us. I will give you an analogue for how a blissful life that has no hardships is the better solution:

Imagine a patient has cancer and science already has the cure right there. Should this person just suffer in agony until he/she goes into remission from his/her cancer one day? Or should he/she just take the cure right now? Obviously, the solution here is to take that cure. It is pointless, in my opinion, to just choose to suffer in agony. I will give another analogue. Imagine if there are two ways to get somewhere. One way takes a very long time while the other way is a shortcut that will get you there quickly. The better solution is to take the shortcut since the long way is nothing but problems, anger, frustration, and misery.

So there is my analogue. I would apply this analogue to life itself in general. In other words, I am all for better and healthier solutions. I am not at all for a life of hardship and misery. Such a way of life is not only pointless misery, but a waste of my time. Therefore, my attitude is that of a future civilization. Imagine what types of people we will be later on thousands of years from now into the future.

If we have found cures for all suffering and illnesses, then our attitudes would be very likely similar to mine. We would see hardships and suffering as pointless misery since science has finally found the better solution which would be cures to give more quality, more happiness, and a life of freedom to us as human beings. So that is my attitude towards life. I would like to hear what others think. Besides, there are other ways to grow besides hardships and suffering. You can grow through a blissful life instead.

Lastly, I would never grow bored or tired of an eternal blissful life. The only way that could happen to me is if I develop a need for a life of hardship and misery. That is how we as human beings grow bored after all. We grow tired of a certain thing for a while and we need something else. But since I will never have a need for hardships and suffering in my life since it is all pointless misery that has no value to me, then that is why I would never grow bored from an eternal blissful life.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,092 • Replies: 12
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 07:09 am
Nelson Mandela comes to mind when thinking about growth of the human mind and heart while suffering. There are many others.

The Buddha was raised in a blissful life. He got bored and left it to mingle with the suffering. It was only then did he grow intellectually and spiritually.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 08:37 am
@MozartLink,
While I enjoy the easy life, I do not believe I would enjoy one without problems. Everyone has their hardships and it's how they overcome those hardships that leads to the development of character. Many times we choose NOT to overcome those hardships because it is easier to just live with them instead of fixing them.

For example, some obese people know that they are obese, they know that diet and exercise will fix their obesity yet they choose not to. It's harder to overcome that hardship than to just live with it. Even though later in life it may actually end up make their lives shorter.

Some people take drugs including smoking and drinking. Some people resort to domestic violence, some people are just down right awful people and they decided to be that way instead of trying to correct that.

Hmmm, I strayed... I firmly believe that even if science and research came up with a cure for EVERY single thing that causes suffering and illness that people would simply find new ways to suffer. They are masochists that way. No matter how good ones life is, they believe that they should be suffering somehow.

Another example. I have a good friend that has to have a person at work as a mortal enemy. Usually another female in the office. Every single job this person has had, there has been someone that just pushes her buttons and drives her crazy. She complains endlessly about that person and I think she needs that as a coping mechanism.

So, I kind of agree with your last point, people like misery. It's something we all know about and can relate to. No one has a life of pure joy beyond the age of 6.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 09:14 am
I would choose the easy life, but then what happens to anti? Reality needs information, which in turn needs anti - collision.
Therefore navigating this issue would make life difficult by default.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 09:55 am
@MozartLink,
MozartLink wrote:

Personally, if I had the choice, I would choose a life that is eternal, nothing but blissful, has no problems or hardships, and has no suffering, illnesses, or diseases. Some people would choose a hard life filled with hardships since they wish to grow and develop. But some people such as me have absolutely no need for growth, growth does not give any value to our lives, and it is all just pointless misery and turmoil for us. I will give you an analogue for how a blissful life that has no hardships is the better solution:

Imagine a patient has cancer and science already has the cure right there. Should this person just suffer in agony until he/she goes into remission from his/her cancer one day? Or should he/she just take the cure right now? Obviously, the solution here is to take that cure. It is pointless, in my opinion, to just choose to suffer in agony. I will give another analogue. Imagine if there are two ways to get somewhere. One way takes a very long time while the other way is a shortcut that will get you there quickly. The better solution is to take the shortcut since the long way is nothing but problems, anger, frustration, and misery.

So there is my analogue. I would apply this analogue to life itself in general. In other words, I am all for better and healthier solutions. I am not at all for a life of hardship and misery. Such a way of life is not only pointless misery, but a waste of my time. Therefore, my attitude is that of a future civilization. Imagine what types of people we will be later on thousands of years from now into the future.

If we have found cures for all suffering and illnesses, then our attitudes would be very likely similar to mine. We would see hardships and suffering as pointless misery since science has finally found the better solution which would be cures to give more quality, more happiness, and a life of freedom to us as human beings. So that is my attitude towards life. I would like to hear what others think. Besides, there are other ways to grow besides hardships and suffering. You can grow through a blissful life instead.

Lastly, I would never grow bored or tired of an eternal blissful life. The only way that could happen to me is if I develop a need for a life of hardship and misery. That is how we as human beings grow bored after all. We grow tired of a certain thing for a while and we need something else. But since I will never have a need for hardships and suffering in my life since it is all pointless misery that has no value to me, then that is why I would never grow bored from an eternal blissful life.

I think you are wrong. I know, its odd that I can say you are wrong about something you think you would want but hear me out.

Eternal ease? You are already depressed with your current life. Having endless time of ease to do what? You would get bored having infinite time. It would mean doing the things you loved so much it would no longer be something you enjoyed.

The thing about this life is that no matter how good you have it, you are not guaranteed anything. This is what makes this existence have value. We can only do so much with our time. We cherish good moments even when we don't acknowledge them.

Having endless time would become a hell eventually. Its the fact that this existence is finite that gives everything we do have value. Infinite time would render everything meaningless and mundane eventually.
MozartLink

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 10:20 am
@Krumple,
I still don't agree with that. Everything would have far more value to me in an eternal blissful life since I would be free from all suffering, death, depression, anhedonia, and illness which are depressing restrictions put upon my life. This sense of freedom would motivate and inspire me to do more and more in my life. It is no different than how a wild animal is locked up in a room or a cage.

This animal would feel depressed and wouldn't be as motivated since the animal is restricted from its wild and free, happy, blissful environment. But if this animal were to be set free, then it would have all the happiness and motivation in the world. Its life would be far more valuable set free in the wild than locked up in that room or cage.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 11:11 am
@MozartLink,
You mean the wild that is full of insects that bite and ticks that draw your life force from your body? The daily hunt for food and competition from other predators? The risk of catching a hoof to the mouth and breaking a jaw and starving to death?

Wild and free is hardly a happy and blissful lifestyle. Risking life and limb daily while a brother sits in a cage, vaccinated, clean, fed daily, given toys and exercise daily and a safe place to sleep without fear of predators... I am not sure which I'd rather live.
MozartLink

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 11:19 am
@McGentrix,
I already know the wild is not a good place. But you know what I meant by that analogy, didn't you? I mean to say that me being wild and free in my own personal life is what gives it the greatest value and joy. I did not mean literally being out in the wild.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 11:23 am
@MozartLink,
yeah, I know what you mean.

Escaping one's responsibilities is a dream of most people. When I was younger, I freedom with no responsibilities but no money to realize my dreams. Now I have money, but no freedom because i am chained to my responsibilities.

You have to take your freedom in small doses. Vacation and travel are my escapes.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 07:22 pm
@MozartLink,
MozartLink wrote:

I still don't agree with that. Everything would have far more value to me in an eternal blissful life since I would be free from all suffering, death, depression, anhedonia, and illness which are depressing restrictions put upon my life. This sense of freedom would motivate and inspire me to do more and more in my life. It is no different than how a wild animal is locked up in a room or a cage.

This animal would feel depressed and wouldn't be as motivated since the animal is restricted from its wild and free, happy, blissful environment. But if this animal were to be set free, then it would have all the happiness and motivation in the world. Its life would be far more valuable set free in the wild than locked up in that room or cage.

I know but you are missing the point. If you are in some "always on" state of bliss. Just standing in one spot is all you would do.

Take for example heroin addicts. When they get high they feel so good that they can sleep standing up. They have zero motivation to move they feel so content.

This bliss state would become mundane because you would get use to it. But the whole concept itself is unfounded anyways even if this bliss was so good it would always defeat boredom. You are talking purely hypothetical and why such an existence would exist is silly.

Take up heroin, it sounds like that's what you desire. Although one of the drawbacks is your body gets used to the dosage so you have to keep increasing it and that gets expensive.

I personally wouldnt want everything perfect. Its like turning on god mode in a video game, there is no challenge so it's boring. No chance to lose, makes winning meaningless.

Take movies for example, they would be boring if the characters had no conflict or struggle, or loss. If no one dies there is no cherishing a person.
MozartLink

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 08:12 pm
@Krumple,
I would have blissful challenges instead of miserable and suffering based challenges. That would be the greatest life to me. When you play a videogame, you enjoy the challenges. They are blissful challenges. So I would choose a life that has blissful challenges and I would choose to have no suffering, painful, or miserable challenges in my life. Also, I am not going to take drugs since I know the damage they cause. I wish to be as happy and healthy as I can.
0 Replies

SinLeviathan

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 09:30 pm
@MozartLink,
There has to be balance. If your whole life is easy then the simplest of irritations are gonna hit you like a truck, but at the same time if life is constantly against you it can change your whole demeter and general attitude.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 04:56 am
Life "choses" me. I am one bi product of its requirements in context. If I am I must. Life is good just because it IS ,
0 Replies