Is the republican congress going to ignore the Constitution?

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2017 05:46 pm
Our country has the "freedom of religion." Trump has identified Muslims as our enemy, and through his EO banned people from coming to the US from Muslim countries.
Is our congress going to ignore this?

Lash

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 07:56 am
@cicerone imposter,
I noticed he's geared down in reverse, trying to now say the ban isn't about religion...

These unconstitutional edicts will continue to happen as long as he flies rogue and doesn't go through the chain of vetting that exists for this very reason.

Our new orange god doesn't think he needs advice.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 08:02 am
@Lash,
I looked it over and I do not see where the EO says "Muslims are banned".

I also do not see where the other 40+ nations that are predominantly Muslim were "banned". I did not see where any religion was mentioned, in fact I didn't even see where they are banned.

I did see, however, that nationals from 6 particular countries would be asked some more questions about their lives before being allowed in the US.

Also, was this really a surprise to anyone? Trump has only been talking about this since he said he would run for office.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 08:07 am
Republicans stepping away from Trump over obvious Muslim ban, called so by candidate Trump, and in practice, effectually a Muslim ban. Trump mentioned fast-tracking "Christian refugees" through the detaining previously.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/4652966/donald-trump-refugee-ban-executive-order-republicans/%3Fsource%3Ddam?client=safari
centrox

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 01:43 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Trump mentioned fast-tracking "Christian refugees" through the detaining previously.

New addition to ISIS agent kit: Bible, crucifix, rosary beads. Appendix to training manual: Lord's Prayer, catechism, sermons of Billy Graham.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 01:51 pm
@centrox,
Trump's ban on the basis of religion already proves Trump is clueless about our Constitution.
centrox

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 02:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Trump's ban on the basis of religion already proves Trump is clueless about our Constitution.
I think he cares about the Constitution where it allows him to do what he wants, and ignores it when it does not. Of course, he is not alone among politicians, but he is more extreme than his predecessors. Make no mistake, this guy is a fascist in the classic mould.

McGentrix

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 02:25 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

this guy is a fascist in the classic mould.

Care to expand on how he is a "fascist in the classic mould"?
centrox

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 02:40 pm
Perhaps as much Nazi as Fascist. There are certain traits you can recognize that Hitler and Trump have in common. I would say the egomania, the total egocentricity of both men, and the inclination to mix lies and truth – that was very characteristic of Hitler. Both men could be called populist demagogues.

Like Trump, Hitler exploited peoples’ feelings of resentment towards the ruling elite. He also said he would make Germany great again. Note both men’s talent at playing the media, making use of new technology and their propensity for stage effects. Another similarity is how both men's opponents consistently underestimated him. Hitler's allies in pre-1933 government assumed they could tame or ‘civilise’ him – that once he became chancellor he’d become sensible and reasonable. Very quickly it became clear that was an illusion. I think this is already happening with Trump.

I think one big difference is that Hitler was more intelligent than Trump is, and the US, unlike Fascist Italy or Nazi Germany, has a Constitution with its system of checks and balances, although it remains to be seen how far Congress will really limit Trump or if, as is feared, he can override it.

I see a lot of Trump in Hermann Goering:

Quote:
“Why of course the people don't want war. Why should some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally the common people don't want war: neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or fascist dictorship, or a parliament or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peace makers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.”

Quote:
It is silly to appeal to people's moral sense.

And this...

Quote:
Time, Feb 28, 2016

Donald Trump retweeted a quote from Italian fascist dictator Benito Mussolini on Sunday.

The Republican frontrunner shared the saying made famous by the founder of the fascist movement with his 6.4 million followers. “@ilduce2016: ‘It is better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep,’ – @realDonaldTrump #MakeAmericaGreatAgain,” the tweet said.

It comes from a parody account created by Gawker specifically to troll the bombastic billionaire, the website claims. The account’s profile picture is a composite of Trump’s hair and Mussolini’s face.

Trump said on Sunday that he wasn’t aware the quote came from Mussolini. “It’s a very good quote,” he said on NBC’s Meet the Press, adding that he didn’t want to be associated with the dictator. “I didn’t know who said it, but what difference does it make if it was Mussolini or somebody else? It’s a very good quote.”

Sturgis

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 02:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Whereas Trump mayt be clueless about the Constitution, the idea of barring persons entry is nothing new and is permitted by The Constitution, as per Article I, section 8.

This was followed later by the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 (signed off on by President Chester A. Arthur).

Soon after in 1889, The Supreme Court ruled in favor of The power of exclusion and in the 1920s as xenophobia took off, immigration was tightly restricted for those attempting to come from southern and eastern Europe...to mainly curb Jewish infusion into the United States.

Then there was the 10 year Mexican exclusion from 1929 to 1939 and of course it's well known his the Japanese were prohibited entry into the United States, not to mention the forced interment of Japanese, Germans and Italians.

Fast forward to 1952. The Congress acted once more and added new force for them and additionally gave the President the power to block entry of people from any and all countries that the President believed "would be detrimental to the interests of the United States" .

President Harry S Truman vetoed this act and stated:

Today we are "protecting" ourselves as we were in 1924, against being flooded by immigrants from Eastern Europe. This is fantastic... We do not need to be protected against immigrants from these countries - on the contrary, we want to stretch out a helping hand, to save those...

Anyway, President Truman's veto was overridden and Senator McCarren ( a Democrat from Nevada), said the reasoning was thus: "the solution of the problems of Europe and Asia will not come through a transplanting of those problems en masse to the United States" .

So, the President has an ability to block anyone he darned well pleases, whether we the citizens like it or not.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 02:49 pm
@McGentrix,
mold is the word
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 03:38 pm
@centrox,
None of this describes Trump as a classical Fascist. Instead it's yet another boring comparison of Trump to Hitler. *yawn* I thought you might have had something insightful to add.

There are certain traits you can recognize that Jesus and Trump have in common. I would say his huge heart and caring for all Americans, his sacrifice to serve the public good and his willingness to tell people the truth whether they care for it or not. These are also characteristics of Jesus. Caring for others, sacrificing himself for the betterment of all and willingness to speak the truth.

Like Trump, Jesus gave the lesser men and women hope that they too could follow their dreams. Jesus was scorned by the ruling "elites" of his day and was not given much leeway in the media of his day. The ruling class were threatened by Jesus just as today's political class is threatened by Trump. Rome had no idea what to do with Jesus, just as Washington D.C. has no idea how to deal with Trump.

The Jews of the time were threatened by Jesus as a false Messiah. Muslims of today are threatened by Trump as a world leader. The Jews thought that Rome would be able to handle Jesus and handed him over to them to deal with and they Crucified him. Much like the press have attempted with Trump (metaphorically speaking). Each rose more powerful from the attempts to make them go away.

I see a lot of Jesus in Trump.

See how easy that is? It's also really stupid. Trump isn't Hitler and you just sound plain retarded trying to make a comparison.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 04:39 pm
@McGentrix,
You trying to claim that the racial bigot Trump resembles Jesus? ROTF
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 07:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Care to respond to my detailed response to your allegation about Trump and the Constitution cicerone imposter? Or do you only respond when you can appear right or have a handy dandy to hurl?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2017 07:59 pm
@Sturgis,
Sure. The supreme court is looking into Trump's case on banning Muslims.
Here's an article that says Trump's ban may be legal.
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/legal-scholar-trump-s-muslim-ban-may-be-constitutional-n484981

Quote:
“This is just so antithetical to the history of the United States,” said Nancy Morawetz, a professor of clinical law at New York University School of Law, who specializes in immigration. “It’s unbelievable to have a religious test for admission into the country.”
She added: “I cannot recall any historical precedent for denying immigration based on religion.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 04:53 am
@centrox,
You're being sealioned. Now there's a term for it I've started a thread.

http://able2know.org/topic/365993-1
oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 10:02 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
You're being sealioned.

"Asking people to justify goofy claims" is not sealioning.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2017 10:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
The supreme court is looking into Trump's case on banning Muslims.

Oh? When did the US Supreme Court transform into an investigative agency?
0 Replies