How was my eye colour formed?

zoe17

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 02:34 pm
Something I've always been curious about is my eye colour. My mother's eyes are green, my father's eyes are blue. Mine are a mixture of blue and green with slightly more blue. People say it must be because I got both a copy of the green eye gene and a copy of the blue eye gene and they mixed. But my sister and brother obviously also got both and their eyes are very green, exactly like my mother's. Also, since green is dominant over blue, if I have a copy of the green eye gene, shouldn't my eyes be green? Please explain thoroughly.

Foofie

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 02:44 pm
@zoe17,
zoe17 wrote:

Something I've always been curious about is my eye colour. My mother's eyes are green, my father's eyes are blue. Mine are a mixture of blue and green with slightly more blue. People say it must be because I got both a copy of the green eye gene and a copy of the blue eye gene and they mixed. But my sister and brother obviously also got both and their eyes are very green, exactly like my mother's. Also, since green is dominant over blue, if I have a copy of the green eye gene, shouldn't my eyes be green? Please explain thoroughly.

The gene for blue eyes is just a gene that does not produce a protein for any color. And, it is recessive, so if a child inherits a blue eyed gene from one parent, and a brown eyed gene from the other parent, the child has brown eyes (dominant gene). For the child to have blue eyes, his genes would be a recessive "blue" from the parent with brown eyes and the recessive "blue" from the parent with blue eyes. Why don't you Google, "how is eye color determined?" This was learned in 9th grade biology.
zoe17

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 02:54 pm
@Foofie,
I am aware of all of this, please read the whole question. Not once did I mention brown eyes. And I also said I know green is dominant over blue, that's why I'm asking why my eyes are a mixture of both my parents', even though my mother's eye colour is dominant.
Foofie

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 03:18 pm
@zoe17,
zoe17 wrote:

I am aware of all of this, please read the whole question. Not once did I mention brown eyes. And I also said I know green is dominant over blue, that's why I'm asking why my eyes are a mixture of both my parents', even though my mother's eye colour is dominant.

I've lost interest in your concerns.
Sturgis

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 03:49 pm
Eye color iis a genetic mystery and also a marvel. As with all genetics there are many factors involved. There are a known 16 genes which create the eye color, not 4 as is often believed. In fact, 2 parents with blue eyes can have a brown eyed child. In cases of heterochromia, the offspring can have eyes of 2 different colors.

zoe17

Wed 25 Jan, 2017 11:30 pm
@Foofie,
Everybody has lost interest in you.
bestgamingchair

Thu 26 Jan, 2017 04:59 am
@zoe17,
Eye color is the result of variations in the amount of melanin, a pigment found in the front part of the iris of the eye. The lack of this pigment results in blue eyes, some pigment gives green and lots of pigment gives brown eyes.

So light brown eyes just have a bit less melanin than darker brown eyes. All of the different shades of eye color happen the same way. Blue-green eyes have an amount of melanin between green and blue, hazel eyes have an amount of pigment between green and brown.
0 Replies

Foofie

Thu 26 Jan, 2017 03:44 pm
@zoe17,
zoe17 wrote:

Everybody has lost interest in you.

Quite true. In my opinion, people only find me of interest when they can effect a pecking order, with me as a subordinate, and I do their bidding. I guess it is human nature for many to want a sycophant, not someone that doesn't want to be imposed upon just for another person's interests.
0 Replies

KeneErdogan

Thu 26 Jan, 2017 08:57 pm
Mine is black. But not sure about yours. Even I have seen few guys whose eyes are white in colour. And they looks so attractive.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Thu 26 Jan, 2017 09:21 pm
@Sturgis,
Listen to Sturgis, please.
0 Replies