mpeg to jpeg

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:37 pm
how do i convert video files like mpeg into image files like jpeg, gif etc?

i mean taking out a still image from the video
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,378 • Replies: 13
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:45 pm
Use WinDVD.
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:46 pm
any other?

can it be done in Windows media player
or winamp?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:51 pm
There probably are other programs, but neither Windows media player or winamp have that feature.
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:52 pm
okay thanks

if i use WinDVD

how to i do that?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:53 pm
Quick time full version can do this.
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:54 pm
what about video editor?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:07 pm
There are many video editors out there that do all different kinds of conversions. However, I Think you can import Mpg files into Windows Movie Maker(freeware) and then cut pictures out and save them to Jpg. also, please remember that when you cut pictures from video files, they loose some their original quality.

This is called Rad tools. It's freeware and does a variety of picture conversions.

http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 06:39 am
In Microsoft's free Windows Movie Maker (I'm using version 2.1) which colorbook mentioned, add a video clip, pause it in the preview pane at the frame you want to capture, then click Tools -> Take Picture From Preview, which will allow you to save it as a jpg.

colorbook wrote:
please remember that when you cut pictures from video files, they loose some their original quality.

That is not necessarily the case. It depends on the program used to capture it & the image format you save it in (jpg is a lossy format, others including bmp & tiff are lossless).

A simple way to capture a video frame from any application is just using the Print Screen button on your keyboard, then pasting the captured image into any picture editing application (such as the free Microsoft Paint). However, using Print Screen is one sure way to lose some image quality.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:16 am
Thanks Monger, in regard to the quality of the pictures; it has been a while since I used this media. My older camera's output was in QuickTime's MOV format. I had forgotten that I had to convert these files to AVI before I could used them in Windows Movie Maker. That is how I lost the quality when making an individual picture. Smile
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 11:54 pm
Monger wrote:

A simple way to capture a video frame from any application is just using the Print Screen button on your keyboard, then pasting the captured image into any picture editing application (such as the free Microsoft Paint). However, using Print Screen is one sure way to lose some image quality.

print screen button doesnt work
it does not capture the video
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 06:49 am
crucifixation wrote:
print screen button doesnt work
it does not capture the video

It does in every video playback program I use (including the latest version of Windows Media Player).

Keep in mind that Print Screen just copies the image to the system clipboard. You then have to paste it into an image editing application (e.g. by pressing Ctrl+V).
0 Replies

crucifixation

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 07:50 am
what i did was this

i ran the video in windows media player or power DVD or any player, and pause it..then i hit the print screen button, then open MS Paint and paste it (crtl+V)

what appears is the captured screen, with blank (black) where the video( picture) was
0 Replies

Sara2

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 10:05 am
Monger wrote:
In Microsoft's free Windows Movie Maker (I'm using version 2.1) which colorbook mentioned, add a video clip, pause it in the preview pane at the frame you want to capture, then click Tools -> Take Picture From Preview, which will allow you to save it as a jpg.

colorbook wrote:
please remember that when you cut pictures from video files, they loose some their original quality.

That is not necessarily the case. It depends on the program used to capture it & the image format you save it in (jpg is a lossy format, others including bmp & tiff are lossless).

Yeah, i have taken screencaps using the movie maker too, actually to the bottom right hand side of the moviescreen there is a small camera icon, if you press this the program will let you save the screencap straight into whichever folder you want
0 Replies