Ben Roethlisberger?? next Marino?

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:57 am
Bill Parcells, who is regarded as a football genius, said that Big Ben was the most impressive rookie since Marino. Now I've watched Big Ben since his days at Miami(OH), and he has indeed been impressive...BUT MARINO?!??! We are talking 52 touchdowns! 5,000 passing yards! C'mon Parcells.

Now that I have given my thoughts on the subject, what do you think of Parcells observation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,080 • Replies: 26
No top replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 04:09 pm
Ben is amazing. I don't just say that because we share the same hometown. When Ben was at Findlay High School he never got to play on the field the way he should have been allowed to until his senior year.

Prior to that, the coaches son played quarterback.

Then the coaches son graduates and up steps Ben as quarterback. And WOW did he ever play! Findlay went to the the state playoff's when we had Ben.

Ben won the offensive player of the year award and was runner up for Mr Football. I don't know the exact figures, but he threw for over 4,000 yards and 54 touchdowns his senior year. Was setting state records.

When Miami of Ohio got wind of him they promised him quarterback starting position and he took it. And Findlays never been the same since. He truely was one of a kind and our school misses him greatly.

One more thing about Ben.......they call him Big Ben but he is also gentle Ben. A real sweetheart. Absolutely adorable Smile

Too bad he injured his knee a lil while ago during the game with Dallas. I think he was fixin to give Dallas a can of whoop-ass :wink:
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 05:19 pm
Well, I'll be danged.

Steelers won....YAY!!

But that last 30 seconds was a killer to watch! Razz OMGGGGGGG
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 05:21 pm
That kid is for real.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 07:27 pm
Child of the Light wrote:
That kid is for real.

Yes he is.

Question is: What happens to Ben when Maddox and Batch are off the injured list? Confused
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 07:31 pm
I am so f*cking psyched about this team right now. They are for real, and Big Ben is 'da MAN!

Of course, I said that about Maddox too, but only because Kordell Stewart had to go, no matter who it was that stepped in. This time it's a young player, he can only get better, he looks like a badass already...STEELERS! STEELERS! STEELERS!

Okay, I have to stop now, I don't want to jinx it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 07:34 pm
I say they leave him as the starter until he loses.

Brooke, I remember you mentioning him in my marriage proposal thread. You actually know him?
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 07:46 pm
justa_babbling_brooke wrote:
Child of the Light wrote:
That kid is for real.

Yes he is.

Question is: What happens to Ben when Maddox and Batch are off the injured list? Confused

Exact same thing that is happening now...Ben plays, Steelers win.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:02 pm
kickycan wrote:
I say they leave him as the starter until he loses.

Brooke, I remember you mentioning him in my marriage proposal thread. You actually know him?

Yeah.....but so doesn't everyone. This is Findlay.......small town USA.

And I hope you guys are right. I saw Maddox rubbin' noses with the coach when Ben got hurt after that one sack. He looked like he was bitin' at the bit to get back in the game. Ya can't help but wonder what goes through his head as he watches a third string quarterback kickin' butt while he sits on the sidelines.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:30 am
justa_babbling_brooke wrote:

Yeah.....but so doesn't everyone. This is Findlay.......small town USA.

And I hope you guys are right. I saw Maddox rubbin' noses with the coach when Ben got hurt after that one sack. He looked like he was bitin' at the bit to get back in the game. Ya can't help but wonder what goes through his head as he watches a third string quarterback kickin' butt while he sits on the sidelines.

You have to remember what Maddox went through to get that starting spot. He sold insurance, played in the XFL, and backed up Kordell Stuart for gods sake! So he can't be ready to give up yet....It doesn't matter if he is or not, because this is Ben's job now.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:14 am
We'll see if this kid's for real in two weeks when he takes on the 'Pats.

Also what was the coach's name. My Dad's been bugging me about this.

But he does seem to get better each game.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:24 am
Bill Cowher? Is it the Steelers coach you're talking about?
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 02:48 pm
NeoGuin wrote:
We'll see if this kid's for real in two weeks when he takes on the 'Pats.

Also what was the coach's name. My Dad's been bugging me about this.

But he does seem to get better each game.

If he has a bad game against The Pats we shouldn't dismiss him as a bust....I mean last week Hasselbeck threw 2 INTS and he is for real. Peyton Manning can't beat The Pats and he definitely is for real. Roethlisberger has already proven himself a more than capable leader and QB.

I call Cowher Sargent Slaughter.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 02:57 pm
LOL...boy he lools like him. Can't say I respect any coach more in the NFL or any team owner if the Rooneys still own it.

But hey! Child...I've been thinking about Ben and I think Marino is a bad example, for Dan could be a selfish cry baby and he wasn't a team player...he was a team divider IMO.

I'm hoping that Ben is the next Montana, a real great quarterback, and from what I've seen the next Brady wouldn't be too shabby.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 03:02 pm
Yeah another difference between Roethlisbeger and Marino is that Roesthisberger can move his feet better than most QBs.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 03:03 pm
Sort of a cross between Tarkenton and Marino...boy what an animal that would be.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 03:05 pm
Never would win a big game though.

Ouch.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 03:05 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 03:07 pm
I love when Cowher gets pissed and starts shouting and the spit starts to fly. Laughing

You guys are really getting me pumped for the rest of this season! Is it possible? Could it be that the Steelers have FINALLY found a quarterback that won't be a flukey, one-season wonder? I'm begging ya lord, make this one for real!!!
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 03:11 pm
I wish I was getting pumped over The Niners season. I might be, but look at the injuries:

Julian Peterson (All World Linebacker)
Jeremy Newberry(All World Center)
Derek Smith(Yearly 100+ Takle guy)
Mike Rumph(1 round pick 3 years ago)
Kwame Harris(First rounder 2 years ago)
Brandon Lloyd(Universally regarded as our best WR)
Fred Beasley(All World FB)
Andre Carter(All Pro DE)

I could go on, but I am starting to get sad.
0 Replies