The Red Shift without Expansion

layman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 08:20 pm
@Krumple,
More non sequiturs, eh? Combined with an insulting condescension that is wholly unwarranted coming from you--you don't seem to know **** about physics yoursef, given the nature of your responses.

Quote:
How else can you explain this discrepancy if SR is flawed?

You obviously haven't read this thread. All this has been discussed. Yeah, it is empirically established that a moving clock will slow down. It is also been established that if clock A is stationary and clock B is on a moving object, BOTH will NOT slow down, relative to the other, as SR claims. Only the moving clock slows dowon.

Also, as previously stated, the slowing of moving clocks is not explained by special relativity theory, per se. SR gives the wrong predictions, or else is inapplicable. It is the lorentz transformations (which SR incorporates) not SR itself, which predicts the precise amount by which moving clocks slow down.

layman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 08:26 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
Yes two objects but as I have stated multiple times when you move reference points it appears as if ONLY the other object is moving.

Yes, you have STATED that, in an extremely authoritative manner, several times. The problem is that, to the extent you attempt to justify your claims at all, your explanations are incomplete and/or incoherent. You raise questions which you refuse to answer.

Actually you haven't said what I just quoted above, though. That too is incoherent. You did say that a radar gun will assume (not "see" an appearance of) that it is motionless.

These two thing are completely different things:

1. I ASSUME I am not moving.
2. It "appears" that I am not moving
Krumple

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 08:31 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

More non sequiturs, eh? Combined with an insulting condescension that is wholly unwarranted coming from you--you don't seem to know **** about physics yoursef, given the nature of your responses.

Quote:
How else can you explain this discrepancy if SR is flawed?

You obviously haven't read this thread. All this has been discussed. Yeah, it is empirically established that a moving clock will slow down. It is also been established that if clock A is stationary and clock B is on a moving object, BOTH will NOT slow down, relative to the other, as SR claims. Only the moving clock slows dowon.

Also, as previously stated, the slowing of moving clocks is not explained by special relativity theory, per se. SR gives the wrong predictions, or else is inapplicable. It is the lorentz transformations (which SR incorporates) not SR itself, which predicts the precise amount by which moving clocks slow down.

It was a joke, so you can relax.

SR does explain why (the clock slows) though.
But I'm a little worried getting into that since you seem convinced that it doesn't.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 08:33 pm
@Krumple,
OK, now you state that A and B DO move relative to each other, but, at the same time, both are "stationary."

This is logical nonsense, for reasons I've stated. If they are "moving with respect to another" they can't also both be stationary.

1. Your claim completely and utterly destroys all meaning of "motion."
2. It is mere equivocation, like saying I'm motionless with respect to my car, but moving with respect to the road. You're mix two different frames of reference, and treat them as though they were the same
3. If they are both stationary, then there would be no red shift.

Krumple

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 08:38 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
Yes two objects but as I have stated multiple times when you move reference points it appears as if ONLY the other object is moving.

Yes, you have STATED that, in an extremely authoritative manner, several times. The problem is that, to the extent you attempt to justify your claims at all, your explanations are incomplete and/or incoherent. You raise questions which you refuse to answer.

Actually you haven't said what I just quoted above, though. That too is incoherent. You did say that a radar gun will assume (not "see" an appearance of) that it is motionless.

These two thing are completely different things:

1. I ASSUME I am not moving.
2. It "appears" that I am not moving

Well I did that for two reasons. I didn't want to keep using the same word over and over.

And

You can safely assume one is not moving as long as you account for it in the reference frame.

Are you aware that space itself is affected by objects with mass moving in it? Space becomes more warped as velocity and mass increases for the object.

The greater mass you have the more space is warped.

The greater velocity you have the more space is warped.

If you have a great mass and great velocity space becomes increasingly warped.
Krumple

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 08:44 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

OK, now you state that A and B DO move relative to each other, but, at the same time, both are "stationary."

This is logical nonsense, for reasons I've stated. If they are "moving with respect to another" they can't also both be stationary.

1. Your claim completely and utterly destroys all meaning of "motion."
2. It is mere equivocation, like saying I'm motionless with respect to my car, but moving with respect to the road. You're mix two different frames of reference, and treat them as though they were the same
3. If they are both stationary, then there would be no red shift.

The point is you are jumping reference points to say it's not logical. I've been trying to remind you that this is the error. You can't have consistency if you attempt to make all reference points equal.

You have a zero velocity relative to the car you are in, even when the car is moving 60mph relative to the ground.

RPA. You have zero velocity relative to the car.
RPB. You have 60mph velocity relative to the ground.

Both are true, you have both a zero velocity and a 60mph velocity as well as a 400000kmps velocity relative to space.
layman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 08:45 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
You can safely assume one is not moving as long as you account for it in the reference frame

What is this supposed to mean? Can a moving radar gun "safely assume" that it is motionless?
layman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 08:50 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

The point is you are jumping reference points to say it's not logical. I've been trying to remind you that this is the error. You can't have consistency if you attempt to make all reference points equal.

You have a zero velocity relative to the car you are in, even when the car is moving 60mph relative to the ground.

Both are true, you have both a zero velocity and a 60mph velocity as well as a 400000kmps velocity relative to space.

More of the same. You're not responding to any questions. You are not making any attempt to explain your assertions, you just state them as fact as if you were a University professor talking to a 4-year old child.

The **** you "explain" is trivial and known to all--but it's not responsive.

Krumple

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 08:53 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
You can safely assume one is not moving as long as you account for it in the reference frame

What is this supposed to mean? Can a moving radar gun "safely assume" that it is motionless?

Yes and it does. Because light travels so fast these slow relative objects only move a very small distance before you get the result.

If you were in a car behind another car and both cars were driving 60mph and you used a radar gun from inside the car behind the other, the reading would say 0mph.
layman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 08:55 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

If you were in a car behind another car and both cars were driving 60mph and you used a radar gun from inside the car behind the other, the reading would say 0mph.

Right. So it would tell you that the other car is going 0 miles per hour. Given what it is designed for, is this a "safe assumption?"
Krumple

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 08:57 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Krumple wrote:

More of the same. You're not responding to any questions. You are not making any attempt to explain your assertions, you just state them as fact as if you were a University professor talking to a 4-year old child.

The **** you "explain" is trivial and known to all--but it's not responsive.

The only thing I've been attempting to say is that reference points are important. If they are not clearly defined and adhered to then there will be confusion. I think this is why you have issue with SR. You are neglecting the reference point used to make conclusions and are wanting to jump to another reference point to say, hey that doesn't make sense, it has to be wrong.
Krumple

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 09:00 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Krumple wrote:

Right. So it would tell you that the other car is going 0 miles per hour. Given what it is designed for, is this a "safe assumption?"

Yes relative to the radar gun it says the car in front has zero velocity, but is this true?

This leads back to your two yes or no questions you asked earlier. This is how both are stationary AND one is moving relative to point B (the ground)

Yep you didn't define the reference points for me, you never do. Which is why there is confusion.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 09:01 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
The only thing I've been attempting to say is that reference points are important.

I would have (and in fact did) readily agreed to that in one sentence, many posts back. There was no need for you to just say that, over and over, for 10-20 posts.

What you think that I think about SR is mistaken. We can discuss that, if you want.

Please, you don't have to give me the introductory course lecture explaining simple relativity concepts. I've heard it all a million times before.
Krumple

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 09:08 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
The only thing I've been attempting to say is that reference points are important.

I would have (and in fact did) readily agreed to that in one sentence, many posts back. There was no need for you to just say that, over and over, for 10-20 posts.

What you think that I think about SR is mistaken. We can discuss that, if you want.

Please, you don't have to give me the introductory course lecture explaining simple relativity concepts. I've heard it all a million times before.

When you quoted that statement about two distant galaxies are moving faster than light, I was trying to remind you that they are in fact of themselves no where near the speed of light. Its a statement where they are moving away from each other where the sum velocity is faster than the speed of light.

All my ten or so posts were attempts to reveal to you the fact if you are in the wrong reference frame your conclusion will be wrong.

Neither galaxy is moving faster than light.
Their sum velocity moving apart IS faster than light.

Both are true.
layman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 09:10 pm
To start the convo, if you wish to pursue one, I will make this assertion:

1. SR says all reference frames are equally valid, and it PROHIBITS any assumption to the contrary.

2. LR says all reference frames are NOT "equally valid, and it prohibts any assumption to the contrary.

I say that LR is superior theory for a number of reasons. One of those reasons is that it does not lead to logically impossible conclusions insofar as it purports to correspond to objective reality.
layman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 09:13 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
Its a statement where they are moving away from each other where the sum velocity is faster than the speed of light.

Yeah, and way back then I asked you a simple question, but you have evaded it ever since. Let me ask you again:

1. How do you determine that each is moving away from the other?
2. What "frame of reference" do you use to reach that supposedly factual conclusion? Is it the "midpoint" between them, in space, is that it?
Krumple

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 09:18 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

To start the convo, if you wish to pursue one, I will make this assertion:

1. SR says all reference frames are equally valid, and it PROHIBITS any assumption to the contrary.

2. LR says all reference frames are NOT "equally valid, and it prohibts any assumption to the contrary.

I say that LR is superior theory for a number of reasons. One of those reasons is that it does not lead to logically impossible conclusions insofar as it purports to correspond to objective reality.

1. Equally valid does NOT mean they are equal in quantity or have the same answer. They are not equal. It just means ALL reference points are important.

2. I say reference points are only necessary when making your conclusion when trying to explain and observation.

3. You see SR as making logic errors because you neglect the importance of frame reference. This is clear by how many posts I had to make to explain their importance.
layman

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 09:26 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

3. You see SR as making logic errors because you neglect the importance of frame reference. This is clear by how many posts I had to make to explain their importance.

Listen, for just one second, you pompous-ass know-it-all.

You didn't have to "explain" that to me ever. I knew it decades ago.

I assert, here and now, that REFERENCE FRAMES ARE IMPORTANT.

OK?

Any damn fool knows that, OK?

Now where, EXACTLY, have I neglected the importance of that?

YOU'RE the one neglecting the importance when you can't/won't answer a simple question about the reference frame you are using to support your conclusion that "A and B are each moving away from each other."
Krumple

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 09:28 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
Its a statement where they are moving away from each other where the sum velocity is faster than the speed of light.

Yeah, and way back then I asked you a simple question, but you have evaded it ever since. Let me ask you again:

1. How do you determine that each is moving away from the other?
2. What "frame of reference" do you use to reach that supposedly factual conclusion? Is it the "midpoint" between them, in space, is that it?

1. By becoming reference point #3. You can map out the night sky. Take a galaxy in the far west of this map and a galaxy in the far east of this map.

Calculate their velocity relative to you (point 3). Calculate their distance relative to you (point 3).
Calculate their distance from each other.
Use geometry.
∆v of galaxy a.
∆v of galaxy b.

Then do this again a few years later.

Compare the difference. The difference will tell you if.

1. They are moving closer to each other.
2. They are moving a way from each other.
3. They are staying the same distance from each other.

You can also know the rate they are moving.
Krumple

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2017 09:30 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Krumple wrote:

Listen, for just one second, you pompous-ass know-it-all.

You didn't have to "explain" that to me ever. I knew it decades ago.

I assert, here and now, that REFERENCE FRAMES ARE IMPORTANT.

OK?

Any damn fool knows that, OK?

Now where, EXACTLY, have I neglected the importance of that?

YOU'RE the one neglecting the importance when you can't/won't answer a simple question about the reference frame you are using to support your conclusion that "A and B are each moving away from each other."

I gave that answer twenty posts back but here it is again above.
0 Replies