Like Clockwork (a story for Halloween)

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 02:10 am
Joe was young and in love. He and Sally had been seeing each other for just 6 months, but they were already making plans. Sally lived about twenty minutes away from Joe, and they were both saving up to buy a house together. Joe was also saving money for a ring.

Joe drove a truck, the night shift. The pay was good, his expenses were low, and he had almost enough socked away to buy that ring. There were two things Joe loved about his job, calling Sally at 9 PM sharp every night he was on the road, and frequenting his favourite 24 hour diner, not just for the great coffee, but also for old Rita, who ran the place, and was a hoot to talk to.

Joe pulled into the diner like clockwork. "Hiya Joe."

"Hey Rita."

"The usual?"

"Yeah, love that coffee."

"Joe, no offence, but you're looking a little skinny. Here, I'll make you a sandwich, on the house. You can't live on coffee alone."

"Sure Rita, I'm not too hungry, but serve it up. You're a fine lady."

"Sheesh, I haven't been a lady since I can't remember. Hey, you look happy today, what's up?"

"I'm gonna propose to Sally. I've got almost enough saved up to get the ring."

Rita poured coffee and fussed with the sandwich. "So, you're really in love then."

"Rita, she's the one."

"Heh, love....I was in and out of love more times than I can count while you were still in diapers. Trust me....pouring coffee, slinging hash, talking with nice regular folk like you...that's the life."

They both chuckled. "Hey, Rita, easy on the mustard, gives me heartburn."

"Mustard's good for you. Eat it."

"Rita, how about you just put some on the side for me. I'll eat it later."

"I know you better than that, you ain't gonna eat it, but for you, okay."

"Thanks Rita."

Joe sipped his coffee and savoured the sandwich. He thought of Sally, and all their plans. "Oops, Rita, lost track of time, it's almost 9. I gotta get back on the road and call my sweetie. Here, keep the tip."

"Thanks Joe. See ya tomorrow?"

"Absolutely, Rita."

Joe pulled the truck back on the highway and dialed Sally. "I can't believe my fingers still tremble when I call her."

"Hello?"

"Hey babe..."

"Hi lover...what's up?"

They talked of plans, of love and sex, and they talked about nothing at all. It was just pure bliss for them to have a connection when they were not together. Joe checked his watch. It was 12:30, and he was near his destination. "Man, I still can't get over how we can talk for hours....I gotta go, babe. I love you so much...can't wait to see you tommorrow."

"Love you too....I await your triumphant return, stud." Sally purred at Joe.

"Ooo, slow down, can't get too excited while driving, heh heh."

"Kay lover. See you tommorrow."

"Okay, bye."

Joe finished his shift and arrived back home just before the sun rose. He hadn't had more than 3 hours sleep when he was rudely shocked out of bed by the doorbell. "Ahh crap....gimme a few minutes, I'll be right down!"

Joe pulled himself together and answered the door. It was the police. "Are you Joe Simmons?"

"Umm...yes..."

"Are you acquainted with a miss Sally Roberts?"

"Yes, she's my girlfriend."

"Sir, we have to take you down to the station to ask you a few questions."

"What questions? What's this all about?"

"Sir, please don't make this more difficult than it has to be."

Joe was confused, but compliant. At the station, they corralled him into an interrogation room.

"Officers, I need answers. Why am I here?"

There was a long pause. It hung in the air like a thick, dark fog.

"Mr. Simmons, it is our regret to inform you that Sally Roberts was found murdered this morning."

Joe sat there, in that dismal room for several minutes, as his entire world collapsed around him. He started to sweat, his throat went dry. He felt that the very air was strangling him. With hands shaking, he managed to stammer "...how did this happen?"

"She had her throat slit, and was stabbed multiple times. I'm sorry sir, but we do need to ask you some questions."

Joe went white as a sheet. The image of Sally dead, bloodstained, was too much to bear. He lashed out.

"What kind of f---ing questions?? I'm a suspect? I'm a f---ing suspect??"

"It's all routine, Mr. Simmons. We just want to eliminate you as a suspect. Please try to understand our position here. Now...where were you last night?"

"I was driving my truck, like I always do."

Joe felt like throttling the officer.

"When did you last see Sally?"

Joe sighed.

"Last night, before I left, but I called her at 9 PM sharp, like I always do when I'm on the road."

"9 PM? Are you sure about the time?"

"Yes, it was our 'thing', to be together when we're not together, if you know what I mean."

"Sir, we will have to confirm your whereabouts with your employer, and we will need access to your cell phone records."

Joe was infuriated.

"Screw it, go ahead, here's my employer's number, and here's the number for my cell phone account. Call them, I give you permission. Take a friggin' blood test if you want. So what, am I under arrest yet?"

"You're free to go. It might be best if you stayed in town. We'll contact you if we have any more news."

Joe nearly went insane as the weeks went by during the investigation. The phone rang. "Hello?"

"Is this Joe Simmons?"

"Yes..."

"Mr. Simmons, we have more information on your case. We would like to send an officer over to update you."

"Umm...sure..."

Joe waited for over 2 hours. Finally, the doorbell rang. "Hi Mr. Simmons, may I come in?"

"Sure...make yourself comfortable."

"Well, the good news is that you are no longer a suspect."

"Well, that's a relief, but it's still no comfort."

Joe listened to the officer as she told him how his employer confirmed his shift, and how his phone records completely exonerated him. Sally had apparently gone for a quiet drink and a chat with a girlfriend, and when they parted ways, an unidentified man had followed Sally home. "So, you don't know who did this, do you."

"At this point, no." The officer looked perplexed. "Sir, there is one thing that we can't quite figure out."

Joe sighed. "Okay, what is it?"

"Well, the coroner has confirmed that Sally Roberts died at 8 PM the night she was murdered."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 642 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:27 am
Oh, my God, Cav. I just knew it. I guessed the ending.

The only thing that I would change, is Joe's reaction to Sally's death. I would make it a little stronger; you know, stunned, speechless. I would also change the expression "with bated breath"

I love it, though. Great Halloween story. YIKES!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:52 am
Thanks Letty. I have a feeling that anyone who reads scary stories will guess the end. I'll do a think and incorporate your suggestions.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 07:07 am
Good story Cav, perfect for the Halloween mood. I remembered reading this from last year, so I already knew the ending Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 07:07 am
<Edits made>
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:47 am
Wow Cav, this is awesome!! I wish there was more! You are such a good writer, great job Cav!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:52 am
Thanks pessy. It still needs some fine tuning, even with the edits, but it's getting better. Smile
0 Replies