Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 03:28 pm
'Frankenfish' found in Chicago

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/TECH/science/10/15/environment.snakehead.reut/story.snakehead.file.jpg

CHICAGO, Illinois (Reuters) -- The dreaded Northern Snakehead, a voracious predator dubbed the "Frankenfish" that can breathe out of water and wriggle across land, has invaded the Great Lakes, authorities said on Friday.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,122 • Replies: 20
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 03:30 pm
Is it related to the African Goby?
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 04:04 pm
Interesting...I was just listening to a story about this on MSNBC when I saw your thread. Hope it's just a lone fish, but something tells me it's not going to turn out that way. What a shame...
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:11 pm
whats so bad about this fish?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:20 pm
There's the danger that it will overrun native fish species and ruin lucrative local fishing industries.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 08:36 pm
and why is there this fear?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:06 pm
Seed, if it manages to populate into large numbers, it could possibly kill off a large portion of fish and endanger other kinds of wildlifeÂ…not to mentionÂ…would it be safe to go swimming? Shocked
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:07 pm
ok why would it be dangerous? i mean is it a huge fish with a huge mouth that could swallow me whole or what?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:12 pm
Quote:
and why is there this fear?

People try to protect native species.
People try to protect lucre.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:15 pm
Seed wrote:
ok why would it be dangerous? i mean is it a huge fish with a huge mouth that could swallow me whole or what?

Yes, it is.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:17 pm
i understand that much... i want to protect native species as much as the next great hunter....er... nature lover. from where does this fish come from? franken? where is franken? lol no really... where is it from and how did it come here
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:18 pm
yes, it is? it is that big? it is time you game me a 100 dollars? it is great to talk talk to me? it is what?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:21 pm
Did you read the link that Region Philbis provided? Smile
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:22 pm
eh why read when you can bug others for the answers?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:23 pm
What are we gonna do with you Seed? Laughing
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 09:28 pm
since my last posting i have thus read the article... oh how i feel so informed now... informed enough to take on the world! give me all you got world... i shall not move another step and i shall take you on all by myself -shakes fist in defiance!-
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 10:26 pm
Frankenfish killed my uncle.

It was a gruesome sight, especially for an eight-year old boy. It was just me and Uncle Larry, on a sunny sunday morning in August. We sat at the edge of the old pier with our legs dangling, fishing poles in hand. He had just gotten me with the old "pull my finger" gag.

I was fanning the air, disgusted, at the unbelievable stink, laughing, and Uncle Larry was cackling wildly. He comically sucked in a big whiff of his own gaseous sewage, and held it in his lungs, savoring the stink, making me laugh even harder, and then...

It was over in a flash.

I saw something floppy, dark, and big come flying at us out of the corner of my eye, and before I could even focus on what it was, Uncle Larry's head was ripped fom his body with intense force, and his arms shot up, much too late, as if to ward off the great fish. They just hung there in the air for a second, and I watched it all in horror--the blood pouring down onto his denim shirt from the stump where his head had been a second earlier, his left leg kicking out spastically--and then his arms went limp, and his body fell back onto the wooden planks of the pier, blood still pumping slowly from the top of his neck.

I heard a fat, wet plopping noise behind me. I froze in fear. I dared not turn around to see the horror that was behind me. I heard a slithery crawling sound, and I could picture him, Uncle Larry's head still in his black, slimy mouth, crawling towards me.

I heard a large splash just before I passed out. When I awoke, hours later, and told my tale, nobody believed me. They said I was in shock, that I was delirious.

It's been a long time since that day, and I've grown since then. I don't think about it much these days. But every once in awhile, I go back to the old pier. To look. To watch. To dream of vengeance.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 10:32 pm
So, how long did you spend in jail?
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 08:19 am
Littlek, he is still there. That's him on the right.

http://www.sheriff.douglas.ga.us/march2.jpg
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:50 pm
frankenphish shall rue the day
0 Replies