Citizens of the World? An Ethical Approach...

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 08:58 pm
This text was sent to me by a business colleague. With me, the following words raised many unanswered questions, in my mind. It raised questions, that were not there before.

What your ethical, non-political view on the following?

Subject: What is an American

You probably missed it in the rush of news last week.

There was actually a report that someone in Pakistan had published in a newspaper an offer of a reward to anyone who killed an American, any American.

So an Australian dentist wrote the following to let everyone know what an American is, so they would know when they found one:

An American is English, or French, or Italian, Irish, German,
Spanish, Polish, Russian or Greek.

An American may also be Canadian, Mexican, African, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Australian, Iranian, Asian, or Arab, or Pakistani,
or Afghan.

An American may also be a Cherokee, Osage, Blackfoot, Navaho, Apache, Seminole or one of the many other tribes known as native Americans.

An American is Christian, or he could be Jewish, or Buddhist, or Muslim.

In fact, there are more Muslims in America than in Afghanistan.

The only difference is that in America they are free to worship as each of them chooses.

An American is also free to believe in no religion.

For that he will answer only to God, not to the government, or to
armed thugs claiming to speak for the government and for
God.

An American is from the most prosperous land in the history of the world.

The root of that prosperity can be found in the Declaration of Independence, which recognizes the God given right of each person the pursuit of happiness.

An American is generous.

Americans have helped out just about every other nation in the world in their time of need.
When Afghanistan was overrun by the Soviet army 20 years ago, Americans came with arms and supplies to enable the people to win back their country.

As of the morning of September 11, Americans had given more than any other nation to the poor in Afghanistan.

Americans welcome the best, the best products, the best
books, the best music, the best food, the best athletes.

But they also welcome the least.

The national symbol of America, The Statue of Liberty, welcomes your tired and your poor, the wretched refuse of your teeming shores, the homeless, tempest tossed.

These in fact are the people who built America.

Some of them were working in the Twin Towers the morning of
September 11, 2001, earning a better life for their families.

I've been told that the World Trade Center victims were from at least 30
other countries, cultures, and first languages, including those that aided and abetted the terrorists.

So you can try to kill an American if you must.

Hitler did.

So did General Tojo, and Stalin, and Mao Tse-Tung, and every
bloodthirsty tyrant in the history of the world.
But, in doing so you would just be killing yourself.

Because Americans are not a particular people from a particular place.

They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom.
Everyone who holds to that spirit, everywhere, is an American.......

Pass this around the World.

Thought provoking piece...Is it not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,391 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Hazlitt

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 10:21 pm
Kinda makes me proud to be an American, even though I would acknowledge an occasional defect.

Thanks Guadlapue and welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 10:22 pm
<grin>
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 10:28 pm
something in me has a problem with this:

"An American is also free to believe in no religion.
for that he will answer only to God"
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2003 10:29 pm
mmm, yeah.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 06:35 am
Dyslexia, I have no problem with the first half of the statement. The second part is just the opinion of the writer. He seems tolerant of those who choose not to believe. I think that's a commendable position.

Perhaps in the context of this statement which purports to describe Americans as a whole, the second part of the statement ought to be left out, but, as for me, I won't sweat the small stuff.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 08:09 am
dys

Dot that i-----cross that t------while the rest of the world goes up in smoke.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 08:13 am
its all in the details
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 09:23 am
Guadalupe,

Occasionally, we need to be reminded of what a wonderful country America truly is. Where else may one get an Italian dinner with an American flavor in a restaurant owned by a Greek. Smile

Loving our country does not mean discounting our foibles, does it.

I still believe that competition and Capitalism is a wonderful economic system, but we need to see that greed and corruption doesn't totally overwhelm the basic tenets. Now, how we do that is another matter.

Salute, Guadalupe
0 Replies

you

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 02:39 pm
Re: Citizens of the World? An Ethical Approach...
"They are the embodiment of the human spirit of freedom.
Everyone who holds to that spirit, everywhere, is an American......."

LOL
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 06:33 pm
Einstein once remarked that 'if relativity is proved right the Germans will call me a German, the Swiss call me a Swiss citizen, and the French will call me a great scientist. If relativity is proved wrong the French will call me a Swiss, the Swiss will call me a German, and the Germans will call me a Jew.'

Associated conclusions ...(?)

1. Nationality is relative.

2. Relatives can be irrational, (especially my wife's).

3. Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. (Samuel Johnson).
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 01:38 am
Hello to all that posted:

I am newat this game, and did not realize that there were any replies to this post.

To adress the last posting: fresco: ditto to your one two and three, only make #2:MY husband's {LoL}.

This text was forwarded to me by a busness acquaintance, as I had mentioned. It was apiece that made me think. It made my brain itch. It did not make me feel proud to be an American, nor di it make me feel unproud....

I was curious as to what other' reactions would be, particularly, in light of the fact that it was not written by an American.

I am quite concerned about the United States and its relationships with all the other countries on this earth.

I am sad to admit that there are parts of that test that struck a discordant chord with me, in the respect that I could not agree with the glowing compliments It just did not ring true....Then, there were parts that seemed no truer.....But, do I know the answers? I must answer a resounding. "NO!'

Dyslexia, I knew that 'god', would not slide by you, without hearing from you! {I type this with a friendly smile on my face}.

I think it should be remembered that this piece is ONE MAN's treatsie....how many more people are of this same opinions, some, any, none...that is the question at hand.

I am still in a quandry at the words written by the particular gentleman. What is real, and what is not. What is an illusion, what is not? What is political spins, what is not. How do we know what is real. Can we know what is real.
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 01:41 am
Excuse my poor manners,

Hazlett, thank you for the warm welcome!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 10:59 am
First Fresco, that was fabulous!

Guadaloupe; interesting piece!

My take here is that while the content seems quite acurate, and factual (per "Americans"), I would see the description as creating an "ideal" which should refer to a "citizen" of this planet, and bear no indiginous "patriotic" attachments.

I do concurr with the original writer's intent of demonstrating the compassionate nature of the group being condemned.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 06:04 pm
BoGoWo

Merci !
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 12:12 pm
Welcome, which I say with a big smile on my face Very Happy as I click on one of the emoticons to the left.

I believe I have read this recently also. I am reminded of the dangers of seeing another human as "the other". we - they. you - me. The more different ways that one can split up a perception, like cutting up a pie into as many pieces as possible, results in the inevitable result of fracturization. Is that a real word?

Instead of just citizens of earth, we have citizens of nation states, regions, countries, counties, cities, gender, religion, ethnicity, etc.

The simplest, and which we still see in operation in Afghanistan and other places, is that of the tribe. Tribal warlords, each defending turf, and power.

Frankly, I find the whole business divisive and it doesn't interest me all that much.
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 01:03 am
I Concur
Sumac,

I must agree to your point of division. {My words, not yours>}

When I read the piece, as I wrote before, parts written, itched at my brain.

Which is not to discount the kind words that a person of another country would compliment America in such a way.

In college, I wrote a paper supporting my hypothesis that patriotism, not only unites, but more so: DIVIDES the human race. Us/them; Asian/European; English{Protestants)/Irish {Catholics}: Northern Ireland; Canadian/Americans [lol]; Isrealis/Palestinians and so on, and so on, and so on....ad naseum.

It is not my intention to take a written piece that is meant to be positive and tear it down or apart. One must admit though, those words written can not go without causing one to think, question?

Guadalupe107
0 Replies