'Do Not Give Me Things Unbroken'

jjorge

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 07:58 pm
About a month ago I read a newspaper article about a Rhode
Islander, Ottone Riccio, who has been teaching poetry classes at
The Boston Center For Adult Education for thirty four years.
Recently his students compiled a poetry anthology, "Do Not Give
Me Things Unbroken", to honor him. In the 274 page anthology, each
of the poems by past and present students, 54 in all, was
inspired by a Riccio assignment to write something based on the
book's title phrase. I have not obtained the book as yet but the
title has been rolling around in my brain for about three weeks.
A few days ago I sat down to 'take the challenge' and write my own poem based on that
title:

"Do Not Give Me Things Unbroken"

Do not give me things unbroken,
bring me what is scarred and scratched,
All that's bent, and soiled, and torn,
Bring to me the shoes unmatched.

I must have what's frayed and dented,
old and battered, crushed and worn,
Crippled, bleeding, unrepented,
helpless, hapless and forlorn.

All these things I gather to me
Though they're broken so am I.
I don't know what they mean to me
My heart loves them,
God knows why.
( 10-02 G.L.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,417 • Replies: 17
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 08:10 pm
OOoh, really nice! And a poetry challenge, too! Will think on this.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 08:23 pm
Hi sozobe

thanks for the kind words.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 08:38 pm
Wow jjorge! Wow!

First piece of poetry I've read in a very long time that has made me smile, wonder, contemplate and appreciate.

Please keep writing and sharing!
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 09:11 pm
Rae
Thanks for your kindness. I've only written a few poems. Most of them light, whimsical. I have notes for several more but I'm not rushing them.

I don't consider myself 'a poet' at this time. I have too much respect for too many wonderful poets to casually claim that title. For now I am mostly a consumer of poetry...and, truth be told consumers are needed. One author I read awhile back lamented that for every enthusiastic READER of poetry there were ONE HUNDRED aspiring poets. No wonder so many good poets are broke.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 09:21 pm
So very true, jjorge. In the meantime, please know that this is a very indiscriminate place. You will get our full attention ~ you may get praise or delicate criticism, and that's about it! I'm pleased to say that negative comments are not really welcome here ~ if artists aren't given room to grow, they won't.

Be well. I look forward to reading your work again.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 05:13 am
jjorge- I am usually not a "poetry person", but your poem really spoke to me. I related to the bangs and knocks that we all receive as we go through our lives, and how this is the way we grow as human beings.

The young, the immature, strive for perfection. Advertising has taken this perfection as a "high art form". Because perfection is unattainable, the young keep attempting to be something that will always be out of reach.

The older folk know that it is through going through the "sturm and drang" of life, that we become more complete individuals. Thanks!
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 07:22 am
Phoenix
Poetry has been compared to 'a message in a bottle' - ie. coming to each individual from far away across space and time,
(consider how far away in time are Homer and Sappho!)
yet the individual reader, like one who finds a message in a bottle,
can feel an intimate connection to the message and feel that it is meant for him - and it is.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 11:10 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

The young, the immature, strive for perfection. Because perfection is unattainable, the young keep attempting to be something that will always be out of reach.

What's wrong with shooting for the stars? I know perfection is impossible but I like the motto: "Shoot for the stars, if you hit the ceiling it's better than the floor."
0 Replies

Pharon

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:29 pm
Employ the youth while they know it all.
Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 07:35 pm
i love that poem Jjorge!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 08:28 pm
Jjorge, your poem is beautiful! You understand the beauty and power of those who have been battered and broken.
I think as we grow older, the inspiration of hard learned lessons adds to our depth of character.

Craven, by all means reach for the stars!!

When you quoted Phoenix, you left out the sentence, "Advertising has taken this perfection as a 'high art form.'" When you reach for the stars, you would never want your efforts to be air brushed in order to make them even more appealing. I'm sure you would want your accomplishments to stand on their own merits. I think that phoenix was refering to the falsely enhanced perfection that is so prevalent in our society.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 3 Nov, 2002 11:01 pm
dlowan Diane

I'm glad you liked it. I feel better about it than my other efforts.
I have obtained a used copy of Ottone Riccio's book, "The Intimate Art Of Writing Poetry'' and have begun to read it.
I also have on order at Barnes and Noble bookstore the anthology of Riccio's and his students poems mentioned above.

I did a little detective work and discovered that he is a neighbor of mine -he lives about two miles away. I hope to contact him after I have read the two books mentioned above.

Incidentally I posted my second 'favorite poem'', ('One Art', by Elizabeth Bishop) on the other thread a few days ago. What do you think of it? Did you like it?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 12:17 am
yes indeed, Jjorge, I have read it - I need to go back and re-read to make up my mond about that one.

Did you see my plea to you on Dueling Doggerel?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 12:24 am
Come bavk and report, Deb, after you've made up your mond.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 03:03 pm
Merry! You have your avatar! I am unsure if I shall ever be able to make up my mond.....
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 03:05 pm
Yes, Deb, I have my avatar. Of course, the picture doesn't really do me justice. I'm much more handsome than that, but this comes pretty close to being a good likeness.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 09:38 pm
Diane wrote:

Craven, by all means reach for the stars!!

When you quoted Phoenix, you left out the sentence, "Advertising has taken this perfection as a 'high art form.'" When you reach for the stars, you would never want your efforts to be air brushed in order to make them even more appealing. I'm sure you would want your accomplishments to stand on their own merits. I think that phoenix was refering to the falsely enhanced perfection that is so prevalent in our society.

Good point. I was not referring to esthetic perfection but maybe Phoenix was.
0 Replies