What is death?

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 08:02 am
Life is such a wonderfull discovery. Last night I watched Bridge over the river Kwoi and near the end Alec Guinness says something like" And at the end of the day a man asks himself if anything he might have done woukld have played any role in making a difference. And it seems true to me too.Without Mythology and hero to look up to at the end of the day what do we strive for when outronly hero seems to, be jesus and lord knows those teachings have been trampled.
0 Replies

ReX

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 08:19 am
There have been people declared dead (No brain activity nor heartbeat, seriously, both on some occasions). And they've come back! Right, the definition is pretty difficult.

But the view of 'there is no death' is of course irritating. It's somewhat true, BUT you ARE going to DIE. We ARE mortal. The orderly process we call life will cease. You can discuss it all you want, there's not getting around that.

School is killing me :-)
I have become syncope.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:42 am
Correct, Rex. But word games are so much fun.
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 08:27 pm
Re: What is death?
val wrote:
What is death? I would like to see your opinions.

Death is the end of life for a vessel made of cell(s). That vessel may be me or you, or a cat, dog, aphid, rose, cactus, bacteria, or virus etc. Heart activity controls oxygen flow but plants and virus don't have hearts. Brain activity controls the non-autonomous functions that support life but as near as we can tell neither an apple nor a potato have a brain. So whatever life and death are they do not require a brain nor a heart.

For mammals among other living creature the brain and the heart work together to send oxygen and nutrients to every cell in your vessel. In a plant, photosynthesis and chemical processes and some internal variation of veins and arteries move nutrients around. An apple falls from the tree and metaphorically its brain and heart have stopped. It is still alive though. Just like you or I would be with no brain and no heart activity.

As nutrients, water, oxygen, or other molecules stop arriving at the cells that need those types of molecules the individual cells begin to die off. The more cells that die off the closer the vessel is to being dead. Your heart and brain could cease and until enough cells die off you may still be resuscitated. Too many brain cells die off and even resuscitation won't return you back to your normal self. As time goes on the cells that make up the apple die off and the apple rots just like your corpse would in the ground or any food you leave in the fridge too long.

So How's about this for a concept. Life dies at different rates. Some life like a cell or bacteria could die almost instantly but the life energy in something like an apple fallen from a tree may take longer to dissipate than the life energy of a decomposing raccoon on the side of the road. But 1, 2, or 3 weeks will all produce similar types of effects on that apple and raccoon. Cells will die.

We have found that colder temperatures slow the process and warmer temperatures speed up the process. And we have also found that the less number of live cells in something the less appetizing it is as well as the less number of beneficial nutrients that we would get from ingesting this vessel of cells. Rotten food is rotten for a reason whether it is meat, dairy, fruit, or vegetable, the more life energy left in what we eat, the better it tastes and the healthier it is for us.

So life is the process of ingesting other life or simulating the ingesting of life by transferring another form of energy into nutrients. Plant live through water and sun. Some need more sun, others more water. When your vessel can no longer ingest life energy it can no longer produce life energy and the cells that make up your vessel will perish one by one then two by two. What happens after this we can only speculate.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 06:26 pm
That's actually a really good guess, Cavfancier, but no. It's from Neil Gaiman's The Sandman, where Death is an actual character; I'd highly recommend it, especially for this topic, but also just for a good read. It has large amounts of discussions about why Death exists and how it relates to Life. I agree with him that Death is what gives Life meaning; if we lived forever, there would be no motivation to grow or change; we could just exist forever and not really get much done.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 08:51 pm
To live forever. How horrible. That means that when the Cosmos finally ends I will still be here, very much alone. No, when the finally Cosmos goes--if it does--I'd want to go with it.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:47 pm
val wrote:
hermaneutics, I think your opinion points out the great problem raised by a definition of death. We only know what belongs to our empirical experience. But with death, we must deal with a situation where experience is, by definition, impossible. No one can experience his own death. We can only experience other people death. But, what do we experience? The ceasing of all body functions. But death is not only that. It is the dissappearance of an identity. When I say "I" I'm referring to something that belongs to my inner experience, and you are not able to understand it. Only by making a transposition to your inner experience of your "self", but then the experience is about you, not me.
In fact, this topic had the intention of search an understanding of death as the lost of the identity. I ask myself if it is possible to reach that understanding.

The death of an identity is, perhaps, what people fear the most. JL says there is no self to die. This is true, of course, but it feels like there is to most of us and for most of the time. And of all the identities we personify during our lives, this feeling, this persona of a self traveling through time persists the longest and seems the most real. I think this illusion of self persists without break for most of us until we are on our deathbeds, and then maybe it still does.

I remember reading Alan Watts who related an account of the loss of self-identity by certain German civilians during WWII. It seems that the cities were bombed so frequently that the people became experts at judging how close the bombs were to them by the pitch and amplitude of the little propellors on the nose of the bombs put there just for that reason, to demoralize the citizens. So, of course, when a bomb was falling on their heads, they knew moments beforehand that there life was over. Many of these people lost their identity of self, that is, they entered transcendent and timeless and blissful states of mind. How do we know this? Because in many instances, the bombs that were ending their lives turned out to be duds.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:21 pm
death is a bulk lowering of the bodies pH to acidic. It takes energy to buffer all that crap we filter out. so when all machinery ceases, the increase of the hydrogen ion concentration in solution is all there is.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 10:46 pm
Death is nothing to fear!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 11:15 pm
Taliesin181 wrote:
That's actually a really good guess, Cavfancier, but no. It's from Neil Gaiman's The Sandman, where Death is an actual character; I'd highly recommend it, especially for this topic, but also just for a good read. It has large amounts of discussions about why Death exists and how it relates to Life. I agree with him that Death is what gives Life meaning; if we lived forever, there would be no motivation to grow or change; we could just exist forever and not really get much done.

Ahh, very cool. I'll look it up.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 11:23 pm
stand up for pessimism wrote:
Death is nothing to fear!

i don't so much "fear" death but the actual way in which i might die..
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 11:32 pm
I repeat: Stalin, of all people, said: "Death solves all problems. No man, no problems."
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 12:37 am
nipok wrote:
val wrote:
What is death? I would like to see your opinions.

Death is the end of life for a vessel made of cell(s). That vessel may be me or you, or a cat, dog, aphid, rose, cactus, bacteria, or virus etc. Heart activity controls oxygen flow but plants and virus don't have hearts. Brain activity controls the non-autonomous functions that support life but as near as we can tell neither an apple nor a potato have a brain. So whatever life and death are they do not require a brain nor a heart.

For mammals among other living creature the brain and the heart work together to send oxygen and nutrients to every cell in your vessel. In a plant, photosynthesis and chemical processes and some internal variation of veins and arteries move nutrients around. An apple falls from the tree and metaphorically its brain and heart have stopped. It is still alive though. Just like you or I would be with no brain and no heart activity.

As nutrients, water, oxygen, or other molecules stop arriving at the cells that need those types of molecules the individual cells begin to die off. The more cells that die off the closer the vessel is to being dead. Your heart and brain could cease and until enough cells die off you may still be resuscitated. Too many brain cells die off and even resuscitation won't return you back to your normal self. As time goes on the cells that make up the apple die off and the apple rots just like your corpse would in the ground or any food you leave in the fridge too long.

So How's about this for a concept. Life dies at different rates. Some life like a cell or bacteria could die almost instantly but the life energy in something like an apple fallen from a tree may take longer to dissipate than the life energy of a decomposing raccoon on the side of the road. But 1, 2, or 3 weeks will all produce similar types of effects on that apple and raccoon. Cells will die.

We have found that colder temperatures slow the process and warmer temperatures speed up the process. And we have also found that the less number of live cells in something the less appetizing it is as well as the less number of beneficial nutrients that we would get from ingesting this vessel of cells. Rotten food is rotten for a reason whether it is meat, dairy, fruit, or vegetable, the more life energy left in what we eat, the better it tastes and the healthier it is for us.

So life is the process of ingesting other life or simulating the ingesting of life by transferring another form of energy into nutrients. Plant live through water and sun. Some need more sun, others more water. When your vessel can no longer ingest life energy it can no longer produce life energy and the cells that make up your vessel will perish one by one then two by two. What happens after this we can only speculate.

LOL Laughing

That's the longest I don't know I've ever heard.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 02:44 am
coluber2001 wrote:
JL says there is no self to die. This is true, of course...

It certainly is true that JL says there is no self to die...but I suspect that is not what you meant here. If I am correct that you were saying that you agree "there is no self to die"...then I would ask you what I have asked JL often: How do you know that...or is it just a guess?

Same question goes for all that "illusion" stuff that followed this comment.

Why are you folks so sure your guesses are REALITY...that you would actually write: "This is true, of course...?"
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 03:53 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
coluber2001 wrote:

It certainly is true that JL says there is no self to die...but I suspect that is not what you meant here. If I am correct that you were saying that you agree "there is no self to die"...then I would ask you what I have asked JL often: How do you know that...or is it just a guess?

Why are you folks so sure your guesses are REALITY...that you would actually write: "This is true, of course...?"

Not to change the subject but does religion have ANY REAL benefits as far as you can see Frank ?

I'd PM you with this but the function isn't working.
0 Replies

val

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 04:11 am
Nipok, I agree with you. I think you made a bright synthesis of a process of gradual dissipation applied to the different levels of organization.
But death is not only that. It is also the lost of the identity, as I pointed in a previous reply. And I don't see identity as a biological system with plural levels of organization. Identity is what you mean when you say "I". But I will never be able to understand what is your "I".
If identity is an inner experience of the subject, and death being exactly the destruction of that identity, how can I understand someones else's death?
At the biological level we can perceive the death of the others. But how can we know what is the death of their identity?
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 06:52 am
I can understand and accept the death of others. On purely rational grounds, I can accept the idea of my own death. But emotionally, it is difficult to swallow. Perhaps I can't imagine a world in which I do not exist, possibly because in such a world there would be no "me" to do the imagining. Hence, one --the world I imagine-- cannot be separated from the other --the world that exists independent of my perception.

From such tortured and flawed logic, great religions grow.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:00 am
Death is indeed difficult to swallow. The dust and bones keep getting stuck between your teeth, and moistening them up with ketchup is just a bit creepy, with the colour symbolism and all.
0 Replies

nipok

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 08:26 am
val wrote:
Nipok, I agree with you. I think you made a bright synthesis of a process of gradual dissipation applied to the different levels of organization.
But death is not only that. It is also the lost of the identity, as I pointed in a previous reply. And I don't see identity as a biological system with plural levels of organization. Identity is what you mean when you say "I". But I will never be able to understand what is your "I".
If identity is an inner experience of the subject, and death being exactly the destruction of that identity, how can I understand someones else's death?
At the biological level we can perceive the death of the others. But how can we know what is the death of their identity?

I would go so far to say that perception in most situations implies emotion. With no emotion attached to a perception it is just an observation. You watch or see something, observe or perceive it. Once your mind attached to the observation your own emotions about what you observe and how you want to make that observation fit into your life, how you interpret that observation because of your personality, intelligence, relationship to that being observed etc, etc, then it become what in most cases we are calling a perception.

My point being that all emotions are nothing more than chemical interactions that occur in the body. Too much or too little of any one of a multitude of chemical balances either by themselves or in conjunction with other chemicals and we get emotions. Endorphins, Electrolytes, Nucleonic polypeptides, and many other very specific chemicals makes each of us who we are.

So what we call our soul or our personality is that part of our existence that is less observation and more perception. Perception of taste, sight, sound, touch, or smell and how it interacts with our personality and memories. Once the vessel that carries our cells stops sending oxygen to every cell the cells die off and the chemical interactions that make up our emotions and our memories cease to function. As our brain cells die off and the cells that make up our neural network stop triggering electrical impulses the vessel dies off and with nothing to take the place of this vessel to hold the electrical impulses and chemical imbalances I sometimes question myself how I can be such a strong believer in reincarnation when I can't fathom how our memories or emotions can exist outside our vessel.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 10:57 am
CerealKiller wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
coluber2001 wrote:

Not to change the subject but does religion have ANY REAL benefits as far as you can see Frank ?

Absolutely!

I think its main value is in helping people who fear the unknown deal with living their lives...which is no small thing.

I'd PM you with this but the function isn't working.[/quote]
0 Replies