Also Termination of parental rights.

sbedner

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:01 pm
I am a divorced and remarried woman with 2 children from my previous marriage. The father of my 2 children is a convicted sex offender who served 5 yrs in prison, is now registered in my state as a sex offender, has supervised visitation rights, has court ordered child support that began 7 months before his release from prison, has never paid a penny, and has been out of prison for 2 yrs., 2 months, and 6 days. He contacted me two days after his release asked how to see his kids, I gave him the info and never heard from him again. His sister lives next door to my Aunt, my brother, and two houses from my mother, he has my address, and my phone number is listed, yet I never receive a letter, a call or money. My husband is the only father my children know seeing that their biological father went to prison when our now 7 yr old was 1 month old. My husband wants to adopt them, their biological father has been out of their lives for over 7 yrs. I need and want to protect my children. Help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,239 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 04:00 am
adoption
What state? Perhaps your state statutes are available online.

In my state, you and your husband (petitioners) could bring an action against the natural father (respondent) and petition the court to 1) terminate the natural father's parental rights based on the statutory ground of abandonment, and 2) for petitioner husband to adopt the minor children.

Abandonment is generally found when the natural parent has failed to visit the children and/or pay support for a period of one year or more. If your husband is serious about adopting the children, you should retain a family law attorney to draft the paper work and commence the process.
0 Replies

sbedner

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:40 pm
Texas.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:56 pm
Texas
Grounds for Termination of Parental Rights Texas
0 Replies

deswes01

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 10:20 am
terminating parental rights
this is for debra_law. i live in texas and saw the info that you posted and i have a question. my ex-husband rarely ever sees our son and he wants to sign over his rights but they won't let him willingly. he is also a heavy drug addict when it comes to weed and i am afraid to let my son stay over night with him because i know how he is when he does drugs and he does them every day. he never comes to see my son and calls maybe once every few weeks or so. he has never paid me a penny in child support and never offers to buy anything for my son, i even ask for money and he says he can't give it to me cause then he won't have it for weed. i want to try to get his parental rights terminated my self. do you have any suggestions on how to do it? and no there is no man to adopt because i am not with anyone. but i believe it would be in my son's best interest for this to happen and he isn't supporting him or raising him so i am the only one doing it. my son never even asks about his father cause he hardly knows him anymore and he is only 3 yrs. old. please if you have any advice for me let me know. thank you.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 10:41 am
termination parental rights
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=899413#899413
0 Replies

indycolts0713

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 08:46 pm
I need some help please: I live in Austin, Texas and I am getting a divorce. My wife is divorceing me and wanting custody of our 5 year old boy. We have had domestic violance in our marriage on both sides when the kids were at grandmas, I have been charged and she has as well, charges still pending on me though. My wife lost parental right on her first child due to neglect ( leaving a 9 month child alone for 3 days in her crib alone) The child almost died, and spent two weeks in the hospital. My question is I guess that is if you lose parental rights in another state due to child endangerment, neglect, can you have parental rights in Texas of another child? Please Help ... Thank you for your time.

Bryan
0 Replies

dpitts

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 02:42 am
Help needed to get a kid back
I live in texas & have a 10 year old daughter that I have custody of.
My ex wanted to leave town & was looking for a place to stash her 3 years old, My daughters brother ( not my child), I volunterred to take him, but only if she signed a relinquishment of parental rights & allowed us to adopt him. which she did 10-31, the father has expressed interest in doing the same but has not done so, she had full custody of the child & he was married at the time the child was born. we took possession of the child the day she signed this form & he has been living with us & very happy & doing very well, adjusting fine, referred to my wife as mom & me as dad, he finally got the attention he has needed & has not gotten form his Bio mom.
anyway we were waiting for him to sign the same form so we could files these with a termination & adoption petition, when she showed up last night with sheriffs & claimed we had to give the child back, well over the 11 day period expressed in this document, the sheriff's stated since it was not signed by a judge we had no legal rights. I am trying to do this as cheaply as possible since my intention was to keep these two kids together & be able to legally provide care for him without someone coming to take him from us. anyway, can anyone tell me what other forms I need, what I shoud l do now, should I go ahead & file the affidavit she signed with a petition to terminate with an adoption & get the dad (who wants nothing to do with this kid) to either sign off or pay up.
or shoud l I file the termination by itself, get it signed by the judge & get this kid back where he is safe, the mother is a real looser & really wants nothing to do with this kid either. help please someone, got very attached to this child & since he is not "home now" very upset.
thanks
0 Replies