Recently someone is requesting reset password on all my accounts

BarryM

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2016 06:34 am
Should I do anything and if so what can I do?

Never normally get Phishing Emails but in the last 5 days I have had 4 different ones from paypal as well as legit emails from various accounts I have saying I have requested a password reset when I havn't.

Not sure what I can do to stop this?

jespah

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2016 08:05 am
@BarryM,
Sounds like someone is trying to access your accounts (of course). I would change passwords and consider where your info is online. While you do need to keep Paypal info front and center (so you get paid), you might be able to find a few places where the information is online but doesn't need to be.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2016 09:12 am
@BarryM,
As you already know, this is suspicious.

First, make sure that you use a different password on each service that you use. Reusing passwords across platforms is a major, and very common, security vulnerability. It allows someone to access everything, if they know/guess/obtain that one password.

Second, make sure your email password is very secure. Make it a long password. Make it easy to remember and type. (I advise people nowadays to think of it as a passphrase rather than a password, and to use a sentence. Don't make it a famous sentence like "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn!" but rather something that you can remember (or would like to remember). "I got my first, real, kiss during summer break when I was 15!" or something like that.)

Finally, consider getting a new email address and using it just for your most important accounts, and don't tell anyone about this email address. (Important accounts are banking, credit cards, etc. I would not consider anything linked to a credit card (Amazon, e.g.) as important, as you can just cancel the card.)

Additional tips:

Go to https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and enter your email address. It will tell you if your email address has been part of a disclosed data breach.

Avoid services that don't allow you to pick your own security question(s). (I'm looking at you, iCloud.)

Consider using a password manager. Here's a list of some good ones: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407168,00.asp.
BarryM

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2016 09:53 am
@DrewDad,
Thanks
0 Replies