Is this place dead, or what?

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 04:17 am
I just left for a few months, and all I see as I come back here is a couple of Trump goons trashing an empty hall, yelling "death to the snowflakes!"

Where are all the brilliant changes that were supposed to come to the platform? Washed away by electoral despair?

Tsk tsk tsk.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 5,629 • Replies: 127

contrex

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 04:56 am
As far as I can see, there is pretty much the same mix of traffic as before.

Olivier5

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 05:30 am
@contrex,
We don't have the metrics to decide this objectively, but to me the change is obvious.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 06:17 am
I am not sure what you mean. I imagine everybody who surveys the "New Topics" or "New Posts" lists focuses on the ones that interest them, and notes (possibly in a cursory manner) the others. For my part, I see the usual mixture, to which I have become accustomed over 12 years, of queries and announcements from English learners, the lovelorn, jealous or suspicious spouses, owners of Rainsoft equipment, lazy students, confused teenagers, owners of possibly valuable paintings, riddles, baffled crossword fans, religious nuts, that Amanda Knox guy, people who can't remember the name of a song or film, and so on. On days and at times when the mods are away you get whole pages of "Love advice in Bangalore" type spam but that soon vanishes.

Olivier5

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 06:50 am
Sure, lot's of stuff i just don't look at. I suppose it's logical that the political threads (the one i'm interested in) are less active than at the peack of the campaign.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 07:04 am
I guess it'll pick up when the Reichskanzler has taken office and starts issuing Führerbefehle.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 08:25 am
@Olivier5,
Hey, Olivier, great to see you.

There is electoral despair going on with some of us, me for example.

Lots of us get weary of all the insult arguing going on; there's an effort to change the mode, but that's hard to make happen.

The changes are still planned, but take a lot money from the owners to get it started. Robert explained it somewhere, no link from me right now.

Hope you and family are well, and that you stick around. I will stay here, but I also mean to check out that site you and ehBeth like, but I've got computer problems and my own laziness in the way.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 11:32 am
@ossobucotemp,
Hi Jo! Good to see you too. Yes, we're all good this side. How are you, apart from the (understandable) post-election despair?
Olivier5

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 11:39 am
Do you think those new Konzentrationslagers will have wifi?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 11:47 am
@Olivier5,
I'm basically fine, pretty healthy for my age. Lots of tasks ahead as I'm working on getting rid of a lot of my household stuff (ugh, since I'm very sentimental).
Olivier5

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 11:51 am
@ossobucotemp,
Why do you need to get rid of them?
roger

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 11:55 am
@Olivier5,
Truly, there is less traffic, and what there is is either Trump stuff or relationship advice. As you say, this is subjective.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 12:58 pm
@roger,
And where the heck is the christmas thread?
dupre

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 01:04 pm
I'm happy to be back. Re-reading some old posts of mine. Was I ever that young? Or that witty? LOL.

I like being able to respond to some questions and see a young poster struggling with life and in need of an older perspective. My how I have grown!

And what new challenges await me as I age and culture youthens?

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 01:12 pm
@Olivier5,
I may want or need to sell; easier to take care of deaccessioning over time than over a few days in a fat hurry.
dupre

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 01:15 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I am doing the same. We moved in March. I have a lot of stuff. I've been going through everything and either tossing, putting aside for a garage sale, or leaving as gifts on my neighbors' porches.

I also purchased additional organizational devices which really helps.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 01:40 pm
@Olivier5,
Is this it?

http://able2know.org/topic/88677-39
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 02:30 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
,,,announcements from English learners, the lovelorn, jealous or suspicious spouses, owners of Rainsoft equipment, lazy students....or film..and so on
Thank you Con for that listing tho one got left out: There's an a2k type who seems terribly angry at all times about nearly everything and finds insults in the most innocent passages

Oh, and edited to add one other, someone whose postings tend a bit edgy and who therefore is easily misunderstood [me], thereby upsetting the former type
contrex

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 02:47 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Thank you Con for that listing tho one got left out: There's an a2k type who seems terribly angry at all times about nearly everything and finds insults in the most innocent passages
[...]
Oh, and edited to add one other, someone whose postings tend a bit edgy and who therefore is easily misunderstood [me], thereby upsetting the former type

I chose to cut off the list at an arbitrary point; I could have included the bored, the mentally ill, people who found a strangely shaped rock, who are outraged about some issue in the news...
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 04:13 pm
@dalehileman,
He is talking about me and others who don't like his blury forays in the ESL threads; this matters. These vaporous stuffs are apt to shut down, in confusion, most new learners who inquire.

Robert started out as an english language teacher back in Brazil, far as I remember.. he cares re languages. Not to speak for him. He is pretty good re free speech too, thus the erstwhile Hileman appearing on esl threads.

I am not a terribly angry woman. I just want you to shut up on language beginning learner threads. They do not have a clue about your burbles, and your crap diminishes a website that was early about language.

1. Forums
  2. » Is this place dead, or what?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 12:46:54