Singing, Dancing, Plastic Santa Sued-Bah Humbug or War on Xmas?

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2016 01:50 pm
Neighbors file lawsuit against homeowner for holiday lights and music
Alex Hagan

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Too much holiday cheer?

A West Palm Beach couple is so fed up with their neighbors' Christmas lights and music, they've taken them to court.

On Alhambra Place, there are several homes shining brightly for the holidays, but there's one in particular that stands out amongst the rest.

Miriam Galan's home has been the brightest for more than a decade.

"Everything is Christmas."

Last year she even added a dancing, singing Santa Claus.

"I love him," says Galan.

One of her neighbors across the street has had enough in year two of the singing decoration.

They claim Miriam leaves jolly old St. Nick and her lights on throughout the night.

Sick and tired of the noise, they have filed complaints with the West Palm Beach Police Department.

The couple says the noise has gotten so bad, they've had to spend time away from home.

Just last week Miriam's neighbors filed suit against her.

"Now it comes to this, I'm nervous," says Galan.

WPTV reached out to the couple, but they did not want to comment.

We spoke with other neighbors on the block and majority had no issues.

Miriam's attorney plans to file a motion to dismiss the lawsuit.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,004 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2016 04:37 pm
@Blickers,
As a child in the Chicago area, my parents and I got in our car and drove to where, Kennelworth? or similar, as it's been a long time for remembering a name. It was a place full of light bulbs back then. Long time later, I get the drive was all for me to enjoy.

Put me in the middle. I, now a long time atheist personally, well remember the good, the joy, and don't generally mind it.

I might find the music annoying, but I'm one that loved the Canaligators being loud on our street, a main one, in Venice. We opened all seven front windows when they played. That was in daytime though.

On the other hand, some time later, the brumble minded neighbor's nephew who landed there as, I take, last resort, poorly strummed his electric guitar loudly at very late hours, and we called the police several times.

I might follow this to see what happens.
chai2

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2016 08:17 pm
She's in clear violation of my city's noise ordinance. I don't know what WPB's is, but probably similar.

You can have music, other sound/noise until 10pm, then off it goes.

It doesn't matter what "most" of the neighbors think, or if they care, it's clearing violating these peoples right to peace and quiet.

For what it's worth, that lady looks like she can be vindictive as hell, then pretend she has no idea what's going on.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2016 08:56 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote osso:
Quote:
I might follow this to see what happens.

My guess is that they will have to cut the singing. At first, I kinda took the complaining neighbors' side, plenty of people put up Christmas decorations, but why is noise necessary? Then I saw this in the article:
Quote:
They claim Miriam leaves jolly old St. Nick and her lights on throughout the night.

So the neighbors sound like complainers-who cares if the Christmas lights are on throughout the night? The sound I can see complaining about.

Of course this is Florida, so the next step might be that somebody shoots plastic Santa for singing carols at midnight.
farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2016 09:37 pm
@Blickers,
aim some Klezmer music back at the Santa people. Let it rip at about 2AM. Theres a bunch of Klezmerized christmas carol CD's available .Imagine Joy to the World in a minor key with a clarinet.

chai2

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2016 09:46 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

It says they leave the singing santa (jolly old St. Nick) and the lights on.

So, the singing is going on.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2016 09:47 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

aim some Klezmer music back at the Santa people. Let it rip at about 2AM. Theres a bunch of Klezmerized christmas carol CD's available .Imagine Joy to the World in a minor key with a clarinet.

....and for those that want to enjoy it right here.....

Jesus wept.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2016 12:40 pm
@farmerman,
Quote farmerman:
Quote:
aim some Klezmer music back at the Santa people. Let it rip at about 2AM.

All right. Battle Of The Bands, Klezmer vs Traditional Christmas Carols.

Bring out the Marshall Amps!

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah279/LeviStubbs/Marshall%20Stack_zpstgx5pssa.jpg
0 Replies