World Cup - Germany 2006

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 07:13 pm
Just wanted to get in first with a thread about the World Cup. I know it's nearly two years away, but I get excited about this sort of thing.

Any news, comments, views, links, whatever - post them here. I'll start keeping us all up to date with the qualifying group standings, and how they all feed into the finals.

Official FIFA World Cup Site
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,056 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Thok

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 09:06 pm
Re: World Cup - Germany 2006
Grand Duke wrote:
Just wanted to get in first with a thread about the World Cup.

Sorry, http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31596. The thread was forgotten, but by now I will update it.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:00 am
Damn! Thanks for letting me know, Thok.

I was thinking of creating a spreasheet that would show who will go to the Germany finals, if the groups (for all continents) stayed as they were. Perhaps we can keep your thread for results, and I'll keep mine for the finals? How does that sound to you?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:17 am
Grand Duke wrote:
Perhaps we can keep your thread for results, and I'll keep mine for the finals? How does that sound to you?

I agree.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 09:36 am
Cool. (Are you getting excited about it like me? Or are you more sensible?)
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 02:22 pm
It should be become a good tournament.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 02:44 pm
I hope the U.S. can qualify. It sucks because so many players from outside the U.S. play here professionally, for the money, then leave for the World Cup. I understand that they want to play for their home country. What I don't like is the fact they have denied high level playing time to other up and coming U.S. athletes.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 02:52 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I hope the U.S. can qualify. It sucks because so many players from outside the U.S. play here professionally, for the money, then leave for the World Cup. I understand that they want to play for their home country. What I don't like is the fact they have denied high level playing time to other up and coming U.S. athletes.

Actually, this is fact all over the (football) world: players leave their club teams for playing with their national teams (mostly at least).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:01 pm
True, but prolly more noticable here in the U.S. as we have so few really good home grown players (at least men's soccer).
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 03:37 am
cjhsa - I hope the US qualify as well. They have a pretty good team and are currently top of their qualifying group. Unless they do something really stupid and lose all their games from now onwards, they're pretty safe - 2 wins and 2 draws so far I think.

There are some good US players playing in Britain just now - but I can't provide any proof because my office's web filters block Sport pages. There was/is Brad Friedel, goalie for Blackburn Rovers(mid-table English Premier League) and of course young Tim Howard, Manchester Utd's goalie, who is a damn fine keeper. I do know there are more, I'll do some research when I'm at home (and unfiltered). Perhaps it's better for them (but not for the US league) if they play abroad, as the standard of their opponents (with all due respect) is higher here than in the US - they play against world-class international players every week. This can only help them raise their game, and benefit the US national team.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 09:46 am
I agree with that. I have two soccer players. Note they're both girls, my son wants nothing to do with it.

http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0RwAAAKgWIkqHDa6HdX*SvTHYhcdCp6L!85ee!D2jn!TU4D1s6ehcUUebxDHJPq8xXivG5ofQhiP!4vfTgV!a4dbjNjRJ7FkfGs3cWIvj*m4/mygirls.jpg

Red is a left striker for a competitive league team. Blue is a sweeper in a less competitive league.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 05:33 pm
I am constantly surprised by America's attitude to (what the rest of the world calls) football. I know that "soccer" is seen as a girl's sport, because boys play American football, baseball or basketball. Maybe a case of the US doing it's own thing and not caring abot the rest of the world?

PS. This is not a political statement, BTW, I'm not having a dig at the US, just confused by the general mindset of your fellow citizens. What do you think to your country's attitude to soccer?
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 08:20 pm
FIFA Site
Grand Duke - Thanks a lot for the "Official FIFA World Cup Site." It's a winner . . . and it's now in our Bookmarks' File here.

Good wishes and Happy World Cup run-up! -- Charli :-) :-) :-)
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 08:58 pm
Re: Soccer and the U.S.A
IMHO, "Soccer" isn't rough enough for most American "football" aficionados. We've been with "friends" while watching "football" and the screams are, "Kill him, kill him, kill him!!!" So much for talent and finesse. It's all about "big, strong, heavy, and ROUGH."

Granted, we Americans who appreciate the finer points of "soccer" are in a minority. Especially, those whose forebears arrived in this land in - would you believe - 1725? Where did we get hooked on "soccer"? And hooked we are! Possibly from exposure in other countries and in association with other cultures. For us, it's the ONLY game. In 1994, we spent NINE hours on the phone to secure tickets to a Cup Game: Morocco and Saudi Arabia, I think it was. Then, SIX full hours on the phone to secure tickets for the Cup Game between Germany and Bulgaria. Now, that one was really worth the trouble. As you remember, Bulgaria won!!! And Germany was the Cup Holder! I think I've remembered all this O.K. If not, someone will let me know. Please, and thank you.

In the U.S.A., we follow our National Teams. Also, the Metrostars and the Kansas City Wizards, and check out some of the "foreign" leagues from time to time.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 03:11 am
Always good to meet a fan, Charli. I'll be working on the predicted qualifying teams for during this week (I had my computer time taken over recently by a game I got addicted to, but I've completed it now!)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2004 09:43 am
Go Earthquakes!

http://66.221.11.74/images/sj/031123donovangoalJM.jpg
0 Replies