your hood needs tailoring
Frugal1

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 04:37 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
educated people

Define 'educated people'.
Scientists can also be pricks!
Successful in their profession & perfect pompous assholes in the real world. :-0
Yes, I mean those people.
Are you one of those?
farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 04:52 pm
@Frugal1,
sounds like you flunked algebra so you have this hard on for the more educated?
Ill bet you have "You want fries wid dat?" down reeeeal good.

Do you have any opinions about anything that doesnt involve some bat-**** cartoon or AV aid??

How about Global Warming??

Or Prayer in public school?

0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 05:15 pm
Keep something in mind as time progresses, politifact IS the Enemy.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 05:18 pm
@Frugal1,
Max wrote:

You mean scientists and educated people.

Yeah... we hate them. (Although they are also people who design the the airplanes you fly on, the internet you are using and the computer you are reading this on).

Quote:
Define 'educated people'.
Scientists can also be pricks!
Successful in their profession & perfect pompous assholes in the real world. :-0
Yes, I mean those people.
Are you one of those?

The word "Educated" is pretty easy to define as of having received an education.

Education means taking the time to study and learn knowledge that humans have developed over thousands of years. It is a process of reading, studying, solving problems and gaining skills in a variety of subjects and it means having expertise passed down from one generation to the next.

Yes, I am educated (I have a scientific education, specifically in Physics). Whether I am a prick or not is a matter of subjective judgement.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 05:23 pm
@maxdancona,
One of the advantages of an education is that you read and discuss things that come from a variety of viewpoints, and you are challenged to look at things from different perspectives to see if they are valid or not.

This gives one the ability to look at things objectively based on facts and evidence rather than on passion or politics.

One thing that I have noticed about you Frugal, is that you have a pretty one-sided, predictable view of the world that you shout at other people. I can pretty much guess what political stance you will take on any issue. You are a lock-step conservative. You have yet to surprise me. I have yet to see you admit you are wrong, or even admit to the possibility that anyone who disagrees with you has a point (I have admitted both of these things).

My education allows me to admit when I am wrong (I am proud of this) and it allows me to look at things from different perspectives. I am not saying you have to have an education to have these traits, but education sure helps (and there are different types of education).

On any issue, from Trump to Global Warming I can not only tell you why I take the position I take... but I can also tell you what evidence I would need to change my mind. If I am presented with real facts that contradict my point of view, I can change my point of view (this has happened many times). You also will regularly see me bumping heads with liberals as well as conservatives here. My beliefs and political views are varied, I am not in lock step with any ideology.

If your beliefs are based on passions and politics, this will not be the case.
Frugal1

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 05:25 pm
@maxdancona,
You kind of skipped right past my question.

At what level do you consider an individual educated enough that you yourself would consider them one of the "educated people"?
Frugal1

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 05:27 pm
@maxdancona,
I'm passionate about my science, and I've discounted plenty of falsified data.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 05:47 pm
@farmerman,
His peep holes on his hood are too low.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 05:49 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:

My education allows me to admit when I am wrong (I am proud of this) and it allows me to look at things from different perspectives.

Ive always said that "ignorance is what gives me a job" I study and solve problems most often from the sole point of ignorance. Every drill hole or rock outcrop is a new blackboard, and I apply multiple hypotheses
Education is my tool kit.

Froog associates with those with whom he agrees or agree with him.
Chances are very good that he will dismiss everything you say because its not his predigested credo.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 05:50 pm
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:

You kind of skipped right past my question.

At what level do you consider an individual educated enough that you yourself would consider them one of the "educated people"?

That's a good question

Do you remember on the other thread that the issue of assault rifles came up? It seemed to upset you (quite a bit) when people who knew very little about guns tried to lecture you on an assault rifle ban. I think you pointed out (quite correctly) that I have very little knowledge about firearms in general and less so about what an assault rifle is. I didn't explicitly express an opinion on an assault rifle ban on that thread, but you had a point about the validity of my opinions on an area where I had no expertise.

Am I right about this?

I am not educated about firearms, my education is in science. But I think you understand exactly how I feel when you shout your opinions about science when it is very clear that you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to thermodynamics, statistical modeling or how scientific consensus works.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 08:07 pm
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p480x480/15390920_10103456970734901_7848354925938697491_n.jpg?oh=7ed7f618765b2c33cf70d8d65258d5e0&oe=58ED7A91
Builder

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 08:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
I still believe the people made the right choice, Edgar.

If we're to be ruled by corporate arseholes, put them in the spotlight.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 08:19 pm
@Builder,
Besides that, if they screw up royally, they'll be one term government workers, and will damage future republican candidates.
They have to be on their best behavior and performance. Otherwise, they kill their own party.
I personally think they'll do a pretty good job. I also hope the economy and the stock market continues to grow.
Builder

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 08:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
...if they screw up royally, they'll be one term government workers...

Assuming the DNC recognises and acts upon their mistakes, which I'm not seeing so far.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 10:05 pm
We now have a conservative government all the way. This will give the public the chance to see all the glory of shutting down the safety net and running roughshod over the country with fracking and pipelines and cutting taxes in the face of crumbling infrastructure. I worry that this will make the Democrats, without making significant changes, look extra good to the voters. Back at square one. I shudder to think what our military will be doing for four years.
Builder

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 10:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
We're experiencing a huge surge in support for independent politicians, both here in OZ, and in the US of A, Edgar.

Hopefully the stranglehold of two-party politics is nearing a more positive conclusion.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 10:45 pm
@Builder,
I don't see the mainstream going that way. Yet.
Builder

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 11:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
There's going to be resistance, particularly in the mainstream, but the protest vote is already with us, and its name is Trump.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 11:16 pm
@Builder,
Trump is the fox in the hen house, and the chickens invited him.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 06:15:46