-Voltaire-
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,263 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Panama

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:24 pm
I have to say, I love Voltaire and his quotes. What was that movie that was full of quotes from Voltaire? it was something about a boy, and having a relation with an older women..I dont remember.

My favorite voltaire quote is this: Common sense is not so common.

It rings true to my ears
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 09:31 pm
I was raised in a time when people of my religion then were not supposed to read Voltaire, or I understood that we weren't.

When I first started seeing quotes by him, it was with a wary eye as someone who was venturing into forbidden waters. (This was a long time ago, but I can remember how I felt.)

I got over that pretty quickly, since he made so much sense.

I still haven't read a lot of his actual writing, but this Topic is a reminder to just go ahead and buy a book or two.
0 Replies

William1987

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 02:51 pm
yes Volitaire was quite a quotable man. That post was more of a joke though...i was expecting a different response. The quote actually means 'The Crayon is on the table.' I meant it to remind myself more than anyone just how easy it is to distort the past and not to take things so seriously. Oh well
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:05 pm
Yes, similar to "The pen is on the table", a staple of beginning language lessons. I did get that.. but was just interested in mentioning my thoughts on Voltaire.
0 Replies

William1987

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 06:10 pm
word. i knew yall was smarter than i was giving you credit for...
0 Replies