Why are almost all humorists liberals?

blatham

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 09:28 pm
Woody Allan, Mel Brooks, Mark Twain, Will Rogers, Garry Trudeau, Matt Groenig, Robin Williams, S J Perlman, Sarah Silverman, John Cleese, Groucho, Peter Sellers.... it's along list and it's like 98% liberals.

So, why is that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 2,512 • Replies: 71

blatham

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 10:04 pm
Robin Williams suggests that...

Thanksgiving is rapture for turkeys.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 10:30 pm
And I hope that some of you readers will consider purchasing my new book, soon to be available at Amazon,
"Care and Maintenance of the Prepuce".

And, for a perfect Christmas gift for friends and family, you can attain a copy of the rare and out of print (they are going fast! so hurry!) the much celebrated and valued signed First Edition "Reince Priebus, His Mother Should Have Eaten Him While His Bones Were Still Soft".
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 01:11 am
Scott Adams of Dilbert is conservative.
Al Capp of Lil Abner was a conservative later in life.
Dennis Miller is conservative.
Christopher Buckley, (Wm F's son), writes wickedly funny political novels.

I think that's the whole list.
saab

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 01:58 am
I think it is more a question of your personality. A humorist is a person who can see the funny, ironic side of life.
There are plenty of liberals or leftist who have no sence of humor what so ever.
Just as there are conservatives.
Humor is expressed different in different countries.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 06:05 am
Most conservative humor seems to be of the vengeful striking out kind.

http://www.gopusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/afb680_161115.jpg

#1 - Did you hear about the new Obama Diet? You let Putin eat your lunch every day.

#2 - How does Obama win the war on terror? He renames it! Its now the overseas contingency operation.

#3 - Did you hear about the reporter who asked Obama a hard question? Neither have we!

#4 - How many democrats does it take to change a light bulb? 5! Al Gore to insure it’s a CFL, an EPA agent in case the bulb breaks and a mercury cleanup is necessary, a person to bail out the home owner, an ACORN member to ensure that the right person changed the bulb, and a member of the media to celebrate the change.

#5 - Why can't Obama dance? Cause he has two leftist feet.

#6 - Some Republicans are saying that due to his current scandals, President Obama should be impeached. In response, Obama laughed and said, 'Two words fellas: President Biden.'

#7 - Why won’t Obama have a turkey for Thanksgiving? Because Vice President Biden will be out of town.

#8 - Democrats and liberals always say they are smarter than conservatives. If that is true, then why do Democrats always have problems filling out a ballot?
saab

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 06:41 am
A Swedish politician - I prefer not to tell name nor if to the left or right - is a rather broad person, not to confuse with broadminded.
His Norwegian secretary was asked to order two seats in the airplane.
She happily told him she got two windowseats.

Guess that was more racial than political....The nationalities can be exchanged with liberal or conservative according to your needs.

Then there was the Minister of Finance who said:"We have to save no matter what it costs"
nacredambition

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 06:44 am
Quote:
Why are almost all humorists liberals?

Because right wing politics is a joke.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 08:29 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Didn't know that. But ironically, I haven't been following him and his work for years. I was mostly an adamant follower of his when I hadn't been working in an office setting. For the past, four+ years, I've been working at a law firm and I don't feel compelled to return to his work. Then again, I assume he has nothing new to add to his schtick and he did seem to be basically repeating himself over and over (what I remember of his work years ago).

Quote:

He's not particularly funny. I do remember being fond of his cynical humor back in the mid90s(?) but he seemed to lose his sense of humor when he went bonkers conservative.

Quote:

I find this to be the most painful and to be honest, I'm actually disappointed with myself. I can't seem to find any motivation to return to his books after I found out he was a devout W. Bush fanatic. He was (is?) a genius at satire.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 08:40 am
Why are almost all liberals intolerant?
saab

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 09:15 am
Is it correct what I have seen in our newpapers?
The US Post does not want any stamps with Trump because people will not know what side to spit on.
Frugal1

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 09:42 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyrfWidVQAUgMJZ.jpg
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 04:06 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Woody Allan, Mel Brooks, Mark Twain, Will Rogers, Garry Trudeau, Matt Groenig, Robin Williams, S J Perlman, Sarah Silverman, John Cleese, Groucho, Peter Sellers.... it's along list and it's like 98% liberals.

So, why is that?

http://www.ozy.com/rising-stars/look-out-liberals-loftus-is-coming-for-you/30546
nacredambition

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 09:59 pm
@Frugal1,
Quote:
Why are almost all liberals intolerant?

If they are then it can only be because they disdain nescience.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 10:12 pm
@Foofie,
Because conservatives have a brain difference. No sense of humor.
Frugal1

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 08:21 am
@Lola,
It's a scientific fact that liberals lose their God given sense of humor when they reach puberty.
blatham

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 08:53 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
Al Capp of Lil Abner was a conservative later in life.

I think that's the whole list.

There are probably more but this incredibly unbalanced ratio I'm pointing to tells us something. Let's note, as regards your list, that Buckley Jr was booted from dad's site because he was not sufficiently in accord with the reigning ideology at that time.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 08:55 am
@saab,
Quote:
There are plenty of liberals or leftist who have no sence of humor what so ever.

That's definitely true. But it yet remains the case that humorists are almost all liberals. This difference needs to be accounted for.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 08:58 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Most conservative humor seems to be of the vengeful striking out kind.

There's something to that, I think. But I'll set that aside for now.

ps... the example linked by Foofie seems to be of that sort. Contrast that fellow with Garrison Keillor or Twain, etc
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 08:59 am
@saab,
Quote:
She happily told him she got two windowseats.

That's very funny.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why are almost all humorists liberals?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:50:38