Why are almost all humorists liberals?

saab

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 05:58 am
http://www.piethein.com/
Piet Hein (1905-1996) - architect, mathematician, poet and philosopher. He mastered it all and made Danish cultural life a little richer, a little prettier and a little more witty
blatham

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 06:07 am
@saab,
Thank you for that peek into your culture, Ms S. That's one of the aspects of this site I truly love.

The Hein piece makes me imagine Soren Kierkegaard but after smoking some hashish and having made love. More relaxed.
saab

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 09:55 am
@blatham,
The difference in Piet Hein and Kierkegaard.
I have six of HeinĀ“s books and they look used.
I have two Kierekgaard - look absolutely new.
blatham

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 10:32 am
@saab,
Quote:
I have two Kierekgaard - look absolutely new.

I got part way into Either/Or when I was in high school. At least 13 pages.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 02:18 pm
@blatham,
My answer is: We act as we believe others expect us to act (what a sociology instructor told us we should learn, if we learned nothing else the entire semester).
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 02:34 pm
I remember deciding somewhere along the line that a writer or speaker with humor is an observer at large, thus as a word humor meant "perspective", at best not just one way jibes, a bit rounder than that.
blatham

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 03:16 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
My answer is: We act as we believe others expect us to act (what a sociology instructor told us we should learn, if we learned nothing else the entire semester).

How does that apply to humor? I don't see the connection you see. Also, I'm not sure your prof had this right. Children and criminals frequently violate the rule, or seem to, as they behave in a manner which violates the desires of others around them.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 03:27 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
I remember deciding somewhere along the line that a writer or speaker with humor is an observer at large, thus as a word humor meant "perspective", at best not just one way jibes, a bit rounder than that.

That makes sense to me, osso. Seinfeld is an exemplar of it. But clearly it applies to much, perhaps all, humor. There has to be an observational component of shared experience for humor not to mention as just a basis for one human to communicate to another.

But it seems to me that one thing we treasure in a humorist is observation but of the subject newly considered. For me, about the least funny things anyone might say or write are cliches. Whereas the humorist will subvert the cliche by pointing to some aspect of it which folks hadn't thought about before. And that usually will arrive with some element of "ain't we humans all pretty damned ridiculous?"
saab

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 03:36 pm
A couple of days ago I got a GREAT compliment, which I found super funny.
At the supermarket I met a lady I have not seen for a couple of years. We said hello and exchanged those normal "How are you" -"Fine thanks" Just as I was turning around to leave she said "Your face has gotten thinner: That is normal when we grow older"
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 03:48 pm
@blatham,
I'm odd as you may catch on to, as I haven't had a tv for a decade, gave mine away to the fellow who helped me in the garden, before I upped and moved. Before then, I also didn't watch much, and kept the tv for my niece's visits, and for watching films. Oh, and I would watch Giro d'Italia.. not for the bicycle race so much, as for the land the racers passed.

I've never seen Seinfeld, figure I'd like it.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 04:04 pm
@saab,
Ah, saab!

Our faces are a whole different subject; mine is lately a wreck (eye issues, left eye often completely closed, and other stuff). I've been retaliating by letting my hair grow.

There is a recent a2k photo of me, in beneficent lighting somehow. Take it with a grain of salt. I'll send you a link if that won't be annoying.
blatham

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 06:31 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
I've never seen Seinfeld, figure I'd like it.

Don't really need a tv anymore. Youtube has lots of Seinfeld clips. For a great introduction, watch out-takes.
blatham

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 06:34 pm
@saab,
Our faces get thinner? I've never heard that said before. As I'm a gracile sort, that's a tad frightening. Large men might use my head to break through drywall.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 06:48 pm
@blatham,
Nah, I'm not particularly interested.
blatham

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 07:22 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Goddamn you are hard to please.
Miss L Toad

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 09:33 pm
@blatham,
The poem is a clerihew and the topic is a cleric.

https://briefpoems.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/grook2.jpg
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 09:53 pm
@blatham,
Yep!
Miss L Toad

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 10:21 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
blatham
Goddamn you are hard to please.

Quote:
ossobucotemp

Re: blatham (Post 6315929)
Yep!

And yet it seems like just the other day that you were explaining to all and sundry how easily you pleased yourself.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2016 01:22 am
@ossobucotemp,
Honestly I laughed all the way home - and still do.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2016 10:01 am
@Miss L Toad,
I really do not know if the topic in this grook is a cleric.
I think Hein means people in geeral who does not really have a
horizon.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.17 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 03:27:32