Cars - for those who love them

Leadfoot

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 06:18 am
@blatham,
Oh yes, the i8 is looking very seductive. If I had to get rid of all my cars and have one, the i8 would probably be it. That may happen. Even with the lift I installed last year, keeping them all in good order is getting old (and so am I).

Yeah, a real shame about the Civic R styling. What I'd really like is a Z3 with the Civic R engine. The post 2008 Z4s are OK on looks but I didn't care for the 'flame styling' on the earlier 4s.. They finally put the turbo i6 in the Z4 but the weight was a whopping 800 lb. more with that retracting hard top. Damn!

There is hope for the upcoming Z5 platform developed with Toyota for the return of the Supra and the Toyota 86 would be great if it had more motor. But of course I agree about 'new'. The psychological hit of virtually 1/3 the value going away on the way home from the dealer is tough to get past.

In used cabrios, I agree with farmer that a Boxter ain't bad, especially if you anty up for the S version. Hope you can find a clean Z3 though, they still make me smile every time I see one.
farmerman

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 09:44 am
@snood,
why not think about the
Meyers Manx
Mercury Cougar
Sunbeam Tiger
Ford Panther
Mercury Lynx

Im sure theres more pussy cars than you can think of offn the top your head.

PS welcome back ya old fart
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 09:44 am
@Leadfoot,
I hated the Z4 initially but it has grown on me over the years. It's best angle is from the rear. And I'm always tempted to pick up a car I've not previously owned. The Toyota/BMW collaboration could end up being very interesting. Presently, there's an MR 2 for sale within driving distance so I may take a look at that (I'm not a real fan of the design but Toyota tends to do things right). I'll have to drive a TT to determine if I'd be satisfied but I'm definitely going to do that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 12:20 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
a dedicated follower of fashion.

thanks for the earworm
Leadfoot

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 02:58 pm
@ehBeth,
Who knew ehBeth was Kinky!
farmerman

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 03:11 pm
@Leadfoot,
BLAM!!!!
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 05:54 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
thanks for the earworm

From my ear to yours.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 05:57 pm
Well, this kind of threw me. Got a call just now from the Insurance Corp of BC who handle most insurance for autos here. The fellow had gone to see my Z3 and figured an 8 grand repair. I said I'd expected it would be written off. He said they'd priced the value at $22,700. I got it for $11,000. From a dealership.
Leadfoot

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 07:35 pm
@blatham,
Sounds like the Z3's actually are on the rising side of the cost curve now. Got mine for $25k but that was over 13 years ago!

I'm still surprised they thought it was only an 8K repair.
blatham

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 07:57 pm
@Leadfoot,
It's a generous appraisal. I'm wondering if he might have mistaken the odo as measuring kilometers rather than miles (car was from the US). I'm going to drop down to the mechanic shop tomorrow and let them know my car was in gear and moved three car lengths. I definitely don't want them missing anything. They guys in that shop are friends of mine so they'll take their time.

I went through local listing for the Z3 (250 kilometer radius which includes Vancouver and area) and very little with mileage this low and then the pricing does go up quite quickly.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 31 Mar, 2017 04:58 am
Yummy. New Acura NSX
0 Replies

saab

Fri 31 Mar, 2017 05:10 am
What about this car for the Italian police!!!
Lamborghini Huracán making up to 335 kilometres an hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5PbWjLZtmU
blatham

Fri 31 Mar, 2017 05:40 am
@saab,
Those Italians. Always showing off.

farmerman

Fri 31 Mar, 2017 07:49 am
@blatham,
Ive arranged for a delivery of BUG-EYE SPRITE THAT iM GOING TO trick out a bit.
blatham

Sat 1 Apr, 2017 03:23 am
@farmerman,
That ought to be fun. There's a chap in town here who has been looking for one for rather a long while (he has a thing for the Brit cars) but he's a bit too cheap and likely won't achieve his goal. They are getting rare. I don't think I've seen one for twenty years.

In my home town at Halloween when we were 18 or so, the tradition was to gather up a few dozen eggs and drive around town in the dark looking for appropriate targets - the most appropriate being some friend's car. One friend had a bug-eye and of course you could easily spot him coming towards you. We'd get him like a gatling gun. (extra bonus fun points hiding outside the car wash to get him again when he came out the exit)
farmerman

Sat 1 Apr, 2017 04:40 am
@blatham,
This one needs to have its hood (bonnet?) rebuilt > Ive got a guy with a metals fab shop who said he can make it using a CNC setup . Thats the whole "look" of the little thing. I got it cheaper than my first bid. He was so motivated in selling that he wasnt gonna let me walk.

Sometimes the Trump way does work. Ya just gotta be able to walk away. I figure the hood, engine swap, "off the body" restructuring of the suspension and maybe a new input shaft or a whole new transfer and and transmission will be needed using some kind of NASCAR alloys
Thats probably gonna top out like 25K so I wanna buget that amount and see whether we can keep it under by not pushing dor ridiculous schedules.

I had my RV rebuilt this year (They dont make Holiday Ramblers like they used to) so we rebuilt the floors , new AC , new iso "Baggie" , Elwctrical self leveling jacks etc. and a complete conduit system for tvs and computer and sirius jacks. The guy wanted about 10K but because we let him have it all eason, we got it for 2K cheaper.

blatham

Sat 1 Apr, 2017 04:51 am
@farmerman,
Happy to hear you are having that much fun.
farmerman

Sat 1 Apr, 2017 11:08 am
@blatham,
This AM I went up to Reading Pa looking for a complete hood assembly that I could do a point map of that we could feed into a metal bending CNC machine to tomp out the hood. Im goin with Ti sheeting
tsarstepan

Fri 14 Apr, 2017 08:11 am
And now for something completely different:
blatham

Fri 14 Apr, 2017 08:15 am
@farmerman,
When I hit the deer last year, the body shop wasn't able to find a used hood for the Z3 and had to order up an aluminum replacement from some supplier somewhere. That option not available for the Sprite?
0 Replies