Cars - for those who love them

Leadfoot

Sun 11 Feb, 2018 07:30 am
http://cdn2.evo.co.uk/sites/evo/files/styles/gallery_adv/public/2017/05/p90259126_highres.jpg?itok=qoj18cRR

M240i
It finally got here! Love it!
A 2018 version of a 70s 2002.

(except for the side view mirrors which look like they belong to a Lincoln Town Car instead of a sporty coupe.)
farmerman

Sun 11 Feb, 2018 08:06 am
@Leadfoot,
used to team race a 2002 in 1975. It was still a great hillclimber to take firsts and seconds because it really was an overmatch for its touring class. The only cars that could get a decent chance were Volvo P series.

We had a 2002 that had one of the very first AM/FM radios, But during the end yers when we had the damn thing all modified, some yutz took out the entire sound system an he drilled holes in the damn thing to cut down on weight.

Looks nice, Im still waiting delivery on the Explorer with the new "blue"
Leadfoot

Sun 11 Feb, 2018 09:04 am
@farmerman,
Thanks. Yep, the 2002 hooked an entire generation of enthusiasts and racers. It's been a long wait for BMW to get back to that kind of car.

Not a fly weight with all the Gov. requirements now, but I managed to get the it under 3500 by doing a moon roof delete (a no-cost 'option' Ha!). No plans to remove the radio though : ) Only way to get a limited slip diff. is to have one installed at the dealer level so doing that next week. The ZF 8 speed auto is absolutely brilliant. No justification for a stick anymore other than for image, it's slower and gets less gas mileage.

Post a pic when you get yer blue Explorer. Haven't seen one in that color.
farmerman

Sun 11 Feb, 2018 10:26 am
@Leadfoot,
is it pddle shift?? I love paddle shift . I told you about the little Fiat Abarth I rented for a coule weekw down at the beach. I was allover the backroads jut paddlin aay . I could make it chirp going up a gear. I dont think the car companys like that(fiat , because the Fiats are so damned ugly wants stories on their responses and top speeds
farmerman

Sun 11 Feb, 2018 10:31 am
@farmerman,
ps , whats the little shark fin over the back windshield?
It aint a phone anymore is it? a sat reciever?
ehBeth

Sun 11 Feb, 2018 11:02 am
@farmerman,
I've been spending too much time with MOFA's. It's a devil's doorbell.
farmerman

Sun 11 Feb, 2018 02:20 pm
@ehBeth,
How so? You are talking about Fahrrad's?? (mini scooters?) Whats wrong with them.? I always wanted to get a Honda 90 (T Bird Blue or turquoise).
ehBeth

Sun 11 Feb, 2018 08:20 pm
@farmerman,
did you click on the link?
farmerman

Mon 12 Feb, 2018 01:35 am
@ehBeth,
yes I did, but I didnt see the connection ? I didnt look at an urban dictionary to translate MOFA's in connection with the thread.
Look I an old man in my getting late 60's.
Leadfoot

Mon 12 Feb, 2018 07:32 am
@farmerman,
Yes, paddle shifters are becoming the standard for cars with even a whiff of performance appeal. Great for when you want more 'go' from a lower gear but don't want full afterburner of the kickdown switch. Unless you put it in manual mode it goes back to Drive when you're done passing or whatever. I was already acclimated to the paddles from playing Gran Turismo on PS-4.

The shark fin has antennas for everything - FM/AM radio, cellular WiFi hot spot, stolen car tracking and shutdown, emergency roadside assistance, lost key unlocking, remote starting from your phone, satellite radio and GPS Nav. I didn't necessarily want all that but it's pretty much standard equipment now. What a difference a decade makes from my 08 328i.
Leadfoot

Mon 12 Feb, 2018 07:57 am
@ehBeth,
Couldn't tell if that website was serious or just for laughs.
The world is a pretty F'ed up place now days.
I'm mostly just fed up with it.
farmerman

Mon 12 Feb, 2018 09:04 am
@Leadfoot,
So if I wish to steal your car I know that smacking that one spot will disable any means of tracking me. (Get an independent Lojack you can install that and they will never know. A friend bought a new 911S and hd a LoJack (or a similar brand-They caught the guys while they were hauling the Porsche away in a car-a-van. The only damage was to the ground clearance and that was covered. I think your insurance still offers sizable discount for Lojack users (especially if youre in one of those "Zones" of high insurance)

Most of the SUVs use a sat bar and a wifi internal node. I recall the first cellphones (they were called carphones back then) had these twirlypiggy tails which, a few times when I would be in DC Id have it vandalized .

farmerman

Mon 12 Feb, 2018 09:15 am
@Leadfoot,
Can I interest you in an NO bottle?
I bought one for an afterthought on the Bugeye. Not enough room so I installed two sidedraft carbs, and a friends shop up in READING PA (it still is the home of the Pensky racing shops) bored and balanced with a flywheel job and put in a stronger input shaft . We are gonna do some suspension mods with a lift n spread kit with 16" wheels (There will be some cutting but Im gonna have the wheels about an inch outside the fenders. (It wont be street legal in Pa but it will in MD and Delaware.) I need to figure out what we can and cant do on suspension I dont want to blow any bigger bucks than Ive already commited to. Ive already got several times what I paid for the hulk, sunk into stuff youll never see.

We should be done this summer and I wanna hqve its body a bit tricked out (I need a raised bonnet and some chrome work--but I dont want to lose that FROGGY look)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 12 Feb, 2018 10:23 am
@farmerman,
MOFA's are mildly offensive fiber artists.

The link told you what that thing over the rear windshield looks like to me without NSFWing the thread.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 12 Feb, 2018 10:26 am
@Leadfoot,
serious in a way

in some religious groups they actually use that devil's doorbell terminology but yeah, that thing over the rear window - totally a woman's happy bit

it's like women looking at Dodge Ram badges and seeing a diagrammatic for a uterus

gotta wonder who looks at these designs before sending them out into the world
farmerman

Mon 12 Feb, 2018 04:05 pm
@ehBeth,
I saw nothing about a rear window.It was a diamon ring in a field of black. I was more aghast at someone in print calling a woman a mastorbator. Wouldnt she be a mastorbatrix?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 13 Feb, 2018 08:41 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
So if I wish to steal your car I know that smacking that one spot will disable any means of tracking me.

Good point. At least I'm assuming the antenna for tracking is in the fin with all the rest. I assume you would have to be pretty savvy to steal most any car with these proximity key thingies though. Gone are the days when you could jerk a few wires from under the dash, short a couple and be gone in 10 seconds like in the movies.
Just yesterday I read of a car stolen from a mall parking lot that had been remote started from in the store by the owner so it would be warm when they got to it. The dummy thief couldn't get it started again after he shut it off. He was tracked and found within an hour. I won't be using that feature though.

Glad to hear you're making progress on the Bugeye. Don't sweat the money spent on stuff you can't see. I get a lot of satisfaction out of what's under the skin. The 'Clark Kent' factor is one thing I like about the M240, looks like any other grocery getter. Only other car nuts know the significance of the tiny 'M' badges on it. You should get some discrete 'Rotary Engine' badges for the Sprite.

Thanks anyway, already have 2 bottles for my NOS system in the Z. I never finished using the first 10 pounds in it. When I really wanted the Nitrous afterburner it was never there because I usually forget to open the bottle valve. Very embarrassing when you signal a 911S for a stop light race then bog the engine with a big slug of gas and no Nitrous to go with it when the light turns green.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 13 Feb, 2018 08:45 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
but yeah, that thing over the rear window - totally a woman's happy bit

Oh ****, it does! Guess they don't have any women working in design.

Or maybe the guys liked that look. Somebody call #MeToo!
farmerman

Wed 14 Feb, 2018 06:00 am
@Leadfoot,
I see that Kia has joined in the latest performance craze. Theyve got a new model called the "Sphincter" (something like that). 1-60 in under 4.5 sec , top speed of 170 mph. It looks like a bit of a tricked out Honda Civic.
Id like to see a true report from something like the PBS auto show.
Its still under 50K (Kia wants to join the Porsche /BMW/Audi crowd. They do want to put out a "Supercar" next.

Now theres something I see no value in. "Aupercars". We have no hiways where they can be safely driven. Maybe Italy/Switzerlan switchback Hiways, not in the USA. Most of our best hiays are pothole riven
edgarblythe

Wed 14 Feb, 2018 06:41 am
I'm driving my third Ranger. I only got rid of the last one because the diagnostic equipment for that year is no longer in use. It ran great and had never been in a wreck. The buyer gave it a complete makeover. It looked and performed like a brand new truck last time I saw it. The "luxury model" somehow got pawned off on me. It was a wasteful piece of crap. Then I got my '98. It's a great road vehicle. I've taken it to Dallas and Austin a number of times. I noticed that the price for these vehicles is inching back up around here, because of demand. They haven't built a new one for years.