Cars - for those who love them

blatham

Tue 29 Nov, 2016 05:47 pm
I'm going to throw this one in. This is my older brother from 3 years ago before he developed cancer (he passed this summer). In august, the track where he raced and helped as organizer held a memorial race in his name which twin and I attended along with others in the family and many friends.

http://www.volvoclubofbc.com/images/jim_latham_2008.jpg

That's a Volvo Canadian. As it happens, this was the same make/model my dad had recently purchased when I got my licence and then, two weeks later, rolled into a ditch. It was a stroke of extreme good luck that an older couple driving behind me witnessed the event and informed my dad that I was not speeding or driving carelessly, the car just slid sideways, then tipped over as I went into the ditch. Had that couple not been there, I would never have been able to have children.
Leadfoot

Tue 29 Nov, 2016 06:04 pm
@blatham,
First two tone paint I've seen on a Z but I kinda like it! Wonder if they copied it from the Chiron..

I do like the hard top convertible Z4 looks too. Only down side is it picked up 400 lbs over the rag top Z3.
Leadfoot

Tue 29 Nov, 2016 06:12 pm
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/fbffc2_c8e73c82839b4de5acfadbeb80468248.jpg/v1/fill/w_1958,h_1104,al_c,q_90,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/fbffc2_c8e73c82839b4de5acfadbeb80468248.jpg
Here's a Slingshot with the 4 wheel conversion.
ossobucotemp

Tue 29 Nov, 2016 06:14 pm
@blatham,
Oy! They lived, I take it..

My story was true too, Tuna Canyon...

sometimes tacky memories are fun to recall.

I did have a little group of roadsters, will have to work up the complexity of that, all before I settled down to a first, a honda that did tweelies in the rain and then a long timer Toyota. I'm now fatally boring with an antique volvo in my driveway.
ossobucotemp

Tue 29 Nov, 2016 06:28 pm
@blatham,
Fine photo, thanks for showing us.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 29 Nov, 2016 06:31 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
First two tone paint I've seen on a Z but I kinda like it! Wonder if they copied it from the Chiron..

Veyron, I think. I'd seen that photo before the Chiron was unveiled.

Quote:
I do like the hard top convertible Z4 looks too. Only down side is it picked up 400 lbs over the rag top Z3.

Yes. The car mag dudes I've read give modest praise because of the weight increase and other changes that put it more towards the cruiser category.

How does your Slingshot drive?
blatham

Tue 29 Nov, 2016 06:32 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
Oy! They lived, I take it..

They did. They were cool enough to tell us what happened. How can you not like people such as that.

They were cute too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 29 Nov, 2016 06:34 pm
@Leadfoot,
resized for easier viewing
Leadfoot wrote:

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/fbffc2_c8e73c82839b4de5acfadbeb80468248.jpg/v1/fill/w_1958,h_1104,al_c,q_90,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/fbffc2_c8e73c82839b4de5acfadbeb80468248.jpg
Here's a Slingshot with the 4 wheel conversion.

______

how to resize

[img][/img]

[img width=800][/img]
Leadfoot

Tue 29 Nov, 2016 07:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you for the pic resize and the instructions!
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 29 Nov, 2016 07:19 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
How does your Slingshot drive?

I did a couple of track days when it was still a trike and it was better than I expected. Very neutral and easy to throttle steer if needed. Fun to make it over-steer with throttle too. Some guys with data recorders were measuring 1.1G in the corners, and that was on shitty stock Kenda tires..

I haven't tracked it with the quad wheel setup but I can tell it's going to be even better. It corners harder than anything I've driven so far. (*) It hangs on so well that I'm afraid to get it into a high speed drift on the street since I don't know what it'll do when it does break loose. Will find out next month on open track day. Only complaint is the crappy electric power steering which is numb. I installed a switch to turn it off when on the track or interstate driving.

It makes any trip to the corner store a fun event instead of a chore.

BTW, is that Volvo Canadian the same as an 1800? I lusted after those when I was around 20.
(*) Edit: Except for my Kart (125 Rotax class) that corners at 2.5G
ehBeth

Tue 29 Nov, 2016 08:00 pm
@blatham,
The Story of Greta

great car nerd piece. I could almost smell my uncle's garage when I read that.

Your brother was one helluva guy eh

saab

Wed 30 Nov, 2016 02:18 am
@blatham,
No, I am not an Englishman, I am a Swede - a woman - who can´ stand Volvo.
blatham

Wed 30 Nov, 2016 02:37 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
BTW, is that Volvo Canadian the same as an 1800?

I think in the US it was labeled Volvo 122. The only 1800 I know was the P1800 which was the beautiful little two seater coupe

And jesus, you've got a few toys kicking around.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 30 Nov, 2016 02:56 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
great car nerd piece. I could almost smell my uncle's garage when I read that.
Your brother was one helluva guy eh

He was a good guy. Cars were a lifelong obsession/hobby. He was also a target shooter. If he was interested or passionate about a thing, he'd go full bore. As an educator, he achieved a lot - asst superintendent in one district and superintendent in another. A main focus was first nations people and his accomplishments there were the thing he was most proud of. A small delegation from one of the bands he'd worked with attended the funeral service and said some kind words. They had given him a name in their language and it was explained that it translated to "Nice man who talks too much". He was wayyyyy worse than me. He (and my twin) did consultancy work for the BC dept of ed. But grandma loved me better.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 30 Nov, 2016 02:58 am
@saab,
Quote:
No, I am not an Englishman, I am a Swede - a woman - who can´ stand Volvo.

I swear to god that I hold neither of those three things against you. Nice to meet you!
blatham

Wed 30 Nov, 2016 03:08 am
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
sometimes tacky [sex in cars] memories are fun to recall.

That's not an adjective that applies to my memories. They are pretty much all Excelsior!
0 Replies

saab

Wed 30 Nov, 2016 03:18 am
@blatham,
Around the turn of the previous century there was - I think the first - car exehebission in Copenhagen. My great grandfather took his daughter to see all the cars.
According to many men, their wifes, daughters or sisters were not allowed to even enter the cars as "it would not be healthy - and the speed was not for women".
My great aunt was allowed to ride together with her father. He got so interested he even wanted the Merchants´Society on the little island Langeland , Denmark to buy one for delevering things.
The other merchants were against it because of the horses. They would be scared. Guess they were right.

roger

Wed 30 Nov, 2016 03:26 am
@saab,
Of course, cars are not really unhealthy for women. It's just that they tend to be a bit high strung, what with having delicate nervous systems and all.
blatham

Wed 30 Nov, 2016 03:48 am
@saab,
Wow. There's some interesting history.

(I'm trying really hard not to say anything about Trump and men/cultures that regard women as livestock)
saab

Wed 30 Nov, 2016 04:23 am
@blatham,
More history?
One uncle of mine imported American cars - T- Fords. They were delevired individually in big - I really mean big - boxes made of cedar wood. The T-Ford was sold as car and the box as garden sheds.
0 Replies