writing ( 22 )..

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:56 pm
...Then,she picked up one of the tissues I had.She pressed with it her lower lip , turned her back and went away.Leaving me shaking like a leaf.I always said , the moral danger hurts more than the material danger.The girl's threat wasn't to scare the hell out of me, they were her mystical words that made my heart tremble.

The twenteeth of March was the expected day , for what exactly ?!

I don't know, but I had to flee before it.I looked at the calendar on the wall, it was the sixteenth of March and I knew that after a while , I am going to rip this leaflet out and only three days would remain then.

three days , but for what exactly?!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 488 • Replies: 9
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:02 pm
This makes me curious to find out what the context is. That is a good thing.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:50 pm
horror Twisted Evil

If you have anything to say or comment , please be my guest.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 10:13 pm
Heh, well, horror is the style, but the piece is a fragment. The 'context' would be the framework that answers questions like, what is the significance of the tissue, the difference between moral and material danger, the 'mystical words', why they made your heart tremble, the importance of the date, the 16th of March, and why three days? That would be the 19th of March. Why is that significant? This is nice work, but it reads like a paragraph ripped from a novel without anything that a reader can actually understand.

The concept is great, but there are so many questions left unanswered. This should be expanded into a short story, at the very least. You are off to a good start, but the reader needs to know the answers to the questions you raise. Wink I would suggest that you work on this one, go back and find a 'beginning', and keep it all in this thread. The writing needs a start, and a finish. Just keep at it. If it's all in one thread, it's easier for other readers to find.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 12:01 am
It's a series from a translation I'm doing to improve my writing .It starts from the first thread .Maybe four times a week I do this writing.

Hope this is good. Sad

As I said I want everybody's opinion here.Not like editting the whole thingy but to say something that keep me a live in writing Very Happy

Thanks cav.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 12:10 am
I know that you learn much better when you listen to others advice and guidance .Ofcourse,the one who you know that they know.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 03:07 am
Re: writing ( 22 )..
navigator wrote:
...Then,she picked up one of the tissues I had.

Awkward sentence. Keep your sentence structure simple:

She grabbed a tissue.

Quote:
She pressed with it her lower lip , turned her back and went away.

Use parallell construction: pressed, turned, walked

She grabbed a tissue. She pressed it to her lower lip, turned her back, and walked away.

Quote:
Leaving me shaking like a leaf.

Sentence fragment (incomplete sentence).

I was shaking like a leaf.

Quote:
I always said , the moral danger hurts more than the material danger.

The moral danger hurts more than the material danger, I thought.

Is "hurt" the proper word? I don't understand what you mean by "moral danger" versus "material danger."

Quote:
The girl's threat wasn't to scare the hell out of me, they were her mystical words that made my heart tremble.

Awkward sentence; it appears inconsistent and difficult to understand what you mean. Do you mean this:

Her prophesy left me trembling.

Quote:
The twenteeth of March was the expected day , for what exactly ?!

What did she mean when she said the twenteenth of March was the expected day?

Quote:
I don't know, but I had to flee before it. I looked at the calendar on the wall, it was the sixteenth of March and I knew that after a while , I am going to rip this leaflet out and only three days would remain then.

three days , but for what exactly?!.

Extremely awkward. Rewrite.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 07:08 am
Thanks Debra , maybe this is due to the lacking contexts.Shouldn't we say grab for something that involve the whole hand like an apple maybe or something to eat.Picking for something that requires your index and thumb like tissue in this case.Am I right ?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 07:14 am
"She picked up one of the tissues I had" is grammatically correct, but again, there is no context. If you meant to imply the specific action of using only the thumb and forefinger, you could say something like "She gingerly picked up one of the tissues I had." 'Gingerly' in English implies 'delicately, carefully, gracefully'. Debra gave some great structural advice, and raised some good questions. Maybe you should rework this one post, and then just post your rewrite in this thread for further comment.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 08:43 am
Debra is my guide. I'm on it next time cav. :wink:
0 Replies