"The Plot to Kill Evolution" (Wired Magazine)

JLNobody

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:13 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz, more significant than the frequency with which I agree with you--I agree most often with the views and facts of your rivial, Setanta, as well--is the intensity of my appreciation for your values and ideas.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:13 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz, more significant than the frequency with which I agree with you--I agree most often with the views and facts of your rivial, Setanta, as well--is the intensity of my appreciation for your values and ideas.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:37 am
@Cyracuz,
You've completely sidestepped the issue of your call to teach "all" the creation myths in science classes. I don't have any big beef with you, but that idea is about as silly as they come.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:41 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You've completely sidestepped the issue of your call to teach "all" the creation myths in science classes. I don't have any big beef with you, but that idea is about as silly as they come.

Agreeing if it was n´t for the fact that classes should not only teach Science...
Myths are an important part of our History and should be studied and analysed, precisely as such and for what they are, Myths !
...oh, and I meant in Science classes...where else should the contrast came evident ?
Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:43 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
That's fine . . . in a comparative religion or social studies class. It has no place in a science class.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 12:10 pm
@Setanta,
Should n´t the Science class make the contrast between fantasy and Science ?
Specially given unfortunately Philosophy is ever more out isolated to play that role in pragmatic terms ?

...you can´t fight a Dogma with another Dogma (if not explained and contrasted), and you need real examples. History provides them in tons !
Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 12:16 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Then make it a subject for study in a history class--although i personally would consider that inappropriate. Science is not a dogma. In fact, the principles of falsification and prediction make science the very antithesis of dogma.

Once again, it has no place in a science class.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 12:16 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
There's no need; science on its own will cancel fairy tales.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 01:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well this is actually a better answer then the above one, I agree...but should n´t it be made even more clear to the general public ?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 01:35 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
The so-called "general public" have their own agenda, and will promote what they believe whether it's science or creationism.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 01:35 pm
@Setanta,
Of course Science itself is not a dogma but can be taught has one...what else would I meant ?
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 01:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Once more I agree but that alone does n´t take aside the responsibility on those who teach Science...it should be clear above all...why else do you think that so many people with superior education fall so short of getting it right ?
Stupidity and poor education...or shall I say fast food education...
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 01:43 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
It's usually influenced by one's religious beliefs. However, I must make it clear that there are religious' scientists who believe in evolution.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 01:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
But of course...as there are many interpretations and beliefs upon God and Religions each with its owner distinctive rational mark...or irrational...
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 05:56 pm
@Setanta,
Yes, Set.
I have to admit that I was a bit quick on the draw there. I didn't mean teach it in science class, but teach it as human history.
0 Replies