msolga

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 09:11 pm
littlek

Ahhhh, I see! Very Happy
My mother (Eastern European) used to make the same thing. YUM! But we called it by another, Ukrainian, name.
But what a good idea of yours!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 09:21 pm
What did she call it?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 09:24 pm
Something similar actually ... Can't recall exactly, but something like "plutke"?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 09:25 pm
Ahh, well, I'm sure mine is an americanization of the original word. That and I really have no idea how the word I hear, but never see, is written.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 11:14 pm
I'm not sure that our pronunciation was all that correct, either ... But they sure were lovely to eat, straight from the pan! Very Happy
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 02:04 am
Stick some in the mail and I'll let you know! I'm a good Irish girl - I'll eat any spud dishes!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 09:27 am
<grin>
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 09:42 am
<bookmark>
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 12:00 pm
Ewww...our dog is very cute, but the barf and poop eating thing is really disgusting, especially when he tries to eat his own poop (maybe he is just into recycling)...good thing there are lots of doggie toothbrushes around Smile

Easiest one-pot dish I know is an Italian brisket recipe, calls for a 4-5 lb. brisket, about 8 sliced onions, and 1/4 lb. of thick-cut bacon, and about 3 cloves. put the onions in a pot, cut slits in the brisket and slip in the cut up bacon, put on top of the onions, toss in the cloves, cover and bake at 325 for 3 1/2-4 hours. The onions get nice and soft and brown, and the meat is always delicious. Makes good sandwiches too. This recipe is easy to add things to as well, like other veggies and what not, or different spicing. Try to get a brisket with some fat on it...unfortunately here, they are trimming most of it off, which can result in a somewhat dry dish.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 12:04 pm
My dog will graze in the cat-box when I forget to cover it - nasty!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 07:13 pm
cav, have you tried that with pancetta? This sounds great as you described.

One of these days I'll post my Porchetta recipe, which is not mine at all, but the Porchetta di Perugina recipe from the Romangoli cookbook...but...not quite a one pot as one should have a liitle side of spinaci, at least. Plus possibly some tagliatelle...so it is a two or three potter, but such a good pot.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 10:16 pm
ossobuco, yes, actually, I have Smile Was delish!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 02:35 am
margo wrote:
Stick some in the mail and I'll let you know! I'm a good Irish girl - I'll eat any spud dishes!

You ol potato eater, you, margo! Very Happy
(I seem to have the same affliction/addiction myself ... For "peasant ancestry" reasons! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 02:38 am
Sounds good, cavfancier! Thank you ...
Bet you have quite a few super-complicated recipes up your sleave, too! Very Happy
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 03:21 am
just lurking around, getting hungry. great ideas!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 06:20 pm
Yeah, they're pretty good, aren't they! Very Happy
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 06:26 pm
I keep seeing the title of this thead in the listings and every single time I first think it has something to do with another kind of pot....lol

BTW, I can vouch for osso's porchetta recipe. Excellent way to prepare pork loin!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 06:30 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 10:19 am
One for Cobalt:

http://budy2023.free.fr/electricman/Image/elektr~1.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 08:46 pm
No fuss one pot dishes remain my favourite method of cooking food, for pretty obvious reasons ..

I made this one last week, when I wasn't feeling much like making too effort for dinner. It was surprisingly good!

The recipe suggestion was to serve with mashed potatoes, but I served it with tiny new potatoes cooked for around 10 minutes ( in an old lidded pyrox casserole I keep for the purpose) in the microwave, with lots of smashed garlic & a tablespoon of olive oil. (one of my tastiest & easiest methods of cooking baby potatoes I know of. Yum.)

Pork chops with peppers & sweet corn

Serves 4

Ingredients:

* 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
* 4 pork chops, trimmed of visible fat. (I used loin chops)
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
* 1 green pepper (capsicum), deseeded & sliced
* 1 green pepper, deseeded 7 sliced
* 325 g /11 1/2 oz canned sweetcorn kernels (the unsalted variety is good)
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
* salt & pepper

Method:

1 .. Heat oil in large flameproof casserole .
Add the pork chops in batches & cook for around 5 minutes or until browned.
Remove from pan with slotted spoon

2 .. Add the onion to the casserole & cook, stirring occasionally, for around 5 minutes or until softened.
Add the garlic & peppers & cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 5 minutes.
Stir in the sweetcorn kernels with their juices & the parsley.
Season with salt & pepper.

3 .. Return chops to casserole.
Spoon the vegetables over them.
Cover & simmer gently for around 30 minutes, or until tender.
Serve immediately.

~