Australia: Love it if you left.....

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:38 pm
Last financial year, 3390 people were forcibly removed from Australia.

A story that appeared in yesterdays Sydney Morning Herald, touching on a subject that most of us know nothing about:

Quote:
The Federal Government's covert Operation Long Haul - in which 31 immigration detention centre detainees considered at high risk of escape or self-harm were forcibly removed from Australia using handcuffs, batons and restraining belts - appears to have been the flight from hell.

En route, Mr Cummins held the head of a dehydrated detainee and forced a cup to his mouth against doctor's orders. Mr Cummins said he had "encouraged" the man to drink.
The Sydney to Istanbul flight in August 2001, which included drop-offs at Kuala Lumpur, Dubai and Damascus, was organised by immigration officials and their contractor, Australasian Correctional Management, which was conducting its first "multi-country repatriation operation".

Details of the flight would have stayed secret, except for a NSW Industrial Relations Commission judgement on whether ACM unfairly dismissed Robert Leo "Bob" Cork.

source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 734 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:42 pm
Quote:
The then immigration minister, Philip Ruddock, sent a personal commendation for completing a complex task in a "professional manner", the judgement said.

In secret, using contracted labour to avoid any publicity - I won't be missing this government and their apparatchniks.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 03:02 am
I wish I thought I would get the chance.

Interesting article - thank you.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 03:31 am
I'd like to say "your'e welcome", but I am soooooooo disgusted. Phil-bloody-Ruddock - reckon he eats babies for breakfast?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:22 am
This is shades of the awful Patrick stuff...

Are ACM the same folk who lost the contract after the shemozzle they made of Woomera?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 02:06 pm
yep!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 03:14 pm
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr........
0 Replies