The Magdelene Sisters

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:58 pm
I must be a glutton for punishment. Last week it was 'Osama' I watched, now this. I'm only halfway through, and I needed a break from the intensity. Crying or Very sad The thing is, I'll probably have to watch it again for the cinematography, as it's hard to see clearly through tears. I'll come back when it's finished. Anyone who has seen it, feel free to post comments.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 787 • Replies: 7
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 05:56 pm
It's over, I'm completely gutted. Based on a true story too.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:09 pm
Haven't seen it, Cav. Didn't want to after reading and hearing about what it's about. I have a low tolerance for stories like that. They make my hemoglobin percolate. But, with your permission, I'd like to listen in on this conversation/critique.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:25 pm
Saw it a few months back. I sort of knew what to expect, but was horrified nonetheless.

What got to me was how primitive and unsophisticated the mores were not that long ago. Also, that fact that women could be incarcerated in that hellhole, sometimes for things that happened that was completely not of their doing, as in the case of the girl who had been raped.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:25 pm
Fresh off of it, all I can say is that it was filmed beautifully, and there were moments when I laughed out loud, but they lasted only seconds before I was roped into more despair. It's a wonderful movie, but a seriously tough watch. There were moments when I was really thinking "Kill the nuns! Kill the nuns!" It's visceral.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:26 pm
...and horrid.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:29 pm
Cav- Sure, the nuns were a bunch of sadistic shits. But what about a society that condoned that sort of treatment of women? Also, what did you think of the families that subjected their daughters to such treatment?

I can remember when pregnant, unmarried girls were "sent away" to have their babies, so that the families would not have to suffer the "shame".
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 07:25 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Cav- Sure, the nuns were a bunch of sadistic shits. But what about a society that condoned that sort of treatment of women? Also, what did you think of the families that subjected their daughters to such treatment?

I can remember when pregnant, unmarried girls were "sent away" to have their babies, so that the families would not have to suffer the "shame".

I was completely disgusted by that, and I am too young and too Jewish to remember those days, and those judgements. Here is a strange analysis in regards to your question regarding what I thought about the society that condemned the women, the people who supported the decision, including the families....it made me wish I were god, so I could smite them all for their ignorance. However, humans should never play god, it's very dangerous.

This is where I saw links to 'Osama'. Different religion, similar problems, the same sort of abuse.
0 Replies