"They also serve who only stand and wait."

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:23 pm
I was thinking about Milton's sonnet on his blindness today, and wonder if any of you feel that his quote is a viable philosophy.

Truthfully, it is also a test to see if I accomplished something in a non techie way.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,227 • Replies: 54
No top replies

McTag

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:36 pm
Hi Letty,

I don't know if I can adequately answer this question directly.
In a slightly different context, it was expressed to me recently that each company (and I suppose, each organisation) depends on a body of people who are largely non-ambitious and who are simply content to do the same task, the same job, well. The ambitious 'young turks', come, perform, and are soon gone to pastures new; sometimes reorganisations along the way create their own little mayhems; then, the workers get on with the task again, unaffected by the fuss. Not standing and waiting in Milton's sense, which I suppose was to do with humankind and humanity, but nevertheless acting as a 'fixed reference point' in the continuum.

McT
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:46 pm
McTag, I had never thought about Milton's quote in that sense. Your observation gave me an entirely different perspective. Thanks, buddy.

Good poets can lead us down many paths, my friend.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 05:40 pm
The entire sonnet:

When I consider how my light is spent
Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,
And that one talent which is death to hide
Lodg'd with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, lest he returning chide,
"Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
I fondly ask. But Patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies: "God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts: who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly; thousands at his bidding speed
And post o'er land and ocean without rest:
They also serve who only stand and wait."

-- John Milton
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 05:46 pm
Letty. I don't know if I can adequately answer this question directly.
In a slightly different context, it was expressed to me recently that each company (and I suppose, each organisation) depends on a body of people who are largely non-ambitious and who are simply content to do the same task, the same job, well. The ambitious 'young turks', come, perform, and are soon gone to pastures new; sometimes reorganisations along the way create their own little mayhems; then, the workers get on with the task again, unaffected by the fuss. Not standing and waiting in Milton's sense, which I suppose was to do with humankind and humanity, but nevertheless acting as a 'fixed reference point' in the continuum.

Oh ****. I just reread this thread and noticed McTag said the same thing I did. Oh well, he was here first.

I'll give him the credit.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:27 pm
Very Happy Well, Gus. What one talent which is death to hide is lodged with you, useless? Don't answer that. I'm in enough trouble on Bi-Polar's thread. Embarrassed
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 07:33 pm
Gus's talent is in making the ludicrous look obvious.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:07 pm
panz, I think a word of explanation is in order for McTag.

First of all, I love Milton's sonnet.

Second, I was testing to see if macroflash popped up here to plague me.

Third, I really did think seriously about that one line. It seems sometimes that all we can do is stand in the shadows and wait.

Goodnight, my friends, from a very tired Letty
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 05:17 am
Hey Miss Lettybettyhettygetty . . . my sweetiepie told me you were wonderin' about me . . . i've been job hunting and doing casual labor, so i've not been on-line. I will be going to see my sweetiepie today, so it will be even longer before i'm back here. I thought i'd stop by and let you know i'm healthy and reasonably happy, and wish the same for you.

I've always seen the sonnet as pointing out that a man (or woman) is not to be measured by the fuss they make, but the character they develop.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 06:30 am
Set, I am so glad that you are well 'cause I was a bit worried. Give SP a big hug from me. Well, don't stand there and wait. Get goin' Cool
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 06:31 am
A welcome site as I sip my coffee and look for rain clouds...a Letty sighting.

Mornin fellow Virginian
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:15 am
mornin' panz. I was looking out my kitchen window and saw a beautiful outdoors. I do wonder what the trees look like in Virginia. This was my very favorite month of the year in the old dominion. Florida does get a little samey, does it not?

Set was observing that folks who just stand and wait are those who are more concerned with growing, than advancing. How difficult it must have been for Milton whose very existence lay in his creativity only to be denied that expression. I suppose we must be prepared to do without, because therein lies an autumn strength.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:43 am
if you'all want this idylic setting to persist,

DON'T "stand and wait"; go and VOTE!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:03 am
My, my, Bo. You are persistent. Not to worry, TO. We will. Have to pay my taxes, so I'll vote at the same time.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:12 am
If i am right, and there is no god, and the shrub manages to squeak back in (by whatever means he may manage to summon), the last thing you want to have done is added to the treasury he will then wantonly waste! Shocked
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:18 am
Unlike Thoreau, Bo. I'm not prepared to spend one night in jail. Razz
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:24 am
You may have to spend the next four years 'incarcerated'! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:33 am
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:39 am
Letty wrote:
Will you visit me in prison, Bo? Will you rush up on the county court house steps waving the redeeming tax money before they auction off my house? I think perhaps you just might......

'cash in hand'????

[not bloody likely! (it would be gunpowder and muskets, for your freedom!)]
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:53 am
Heh! Heh! Aha! So Bo is a patriot after all. Keep your powder dry, honey.

and just a little aside. Know what "bloody" references? The blood of Christ. UhOh!

Probably one of the best philosophies every written by the Bard was Friar Laurence's soliloquy concerning herbs. Romeo didn't buy it, unfortunately.
0 Replies