macromediaflash. What th?

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 03:42 pm
Everytime I try and respond to a thread, up pops macromediaflash.

What th?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,016 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 03:43 pm
Just did it again. and that should be every time.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 03:47 pm
Never had it happen Letty.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 03:48 pm
do you have a google toolbar?
they seem to block almost everything...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 03:50 pm
DON'T CLICK ON IT!!!

That was what kept popping up on me when I got 'Hit" so bad even Craven, Monger, and Don couldn't help me find it. Neither could CW Shredder, Bazooka, Ad-Aware SE, Norton, or any of the ten - 12 spyware programs I tried.

Does it say "Joystick" or something by macromediaflash?

Post a Hi-Jack This log for the guys to look at. It eventually took over my search and wouldn't let me go to any search sites, microsoft sites, or many of the links to spyware help.

Post a log now so they can see if there is anything showing up on your computer.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 03:56 pm
Region, I'm not quite certain what you mean by a google tool bar. I'm looking at Yahoo tool bar right now. It just started happening today. It's aggravating. Is it some kind of spy ware?

Uhoh, Squinney. I just x-ed it out or said "No". The heading says security risk. Honey, I don't know one thing about posting a log.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:05 pm
go to this thread http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21110 and look at the fourth paragraph from the bottom of Timbers first post where it says "Finally, reboot normally..... download HiJackThis." Click on the HiJackThis link Timber provided and download to your computer (remember where you save it).

Then, go to it on your computer and click to install it. Open the program and click "scan." On the right you can click to save the log. Open the log you just saved and copy paste it to this thread for them to see.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:08 pm
I just rebooted. Let's see if that helps.

Big fat test........................................
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:11 pm
Just got a privacy report. Said some cookies were deleted.

Thanks, squinney. Maybe lacking Letty won't have to go the route that you suggested. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:29 pm
Re: macromediaflash. What th?
squinney wrote:
That was what kept popping up on me when I got 'Hit" so bad even Craven, Monger, and Don couldn't help me find it. Neither could CW Shredder, Bazooka, Ad-Aware SE, Norton, or any of the ten - 12 spyware programs I tried.

Does it say "Joystick" or something by macromediaflash?

Squinney, I may just be losing my memory but I don't recall helping you with a problem which I then said I couldn't deal with.

I'm not sure what sort of software you installed ("Joystick" by "Macromediaflash"), but it was obviously trying to pretend it was Macromedia Flash Player, which does not pose a security threat to your computer (it's a browser plug-in which many many Websites are designed to use). I only mention that for others who might be confused here.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:42 pm
Monger, rebooting did the trick.

Thanks all. Very Happy
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:46 pm
Monger - I just meant none of us could find a solution. You have been most helpful, but my problem with spyware was only solved by reloading windows.

The pop-up I was getting prior to being hijacked was a popup that claimed to be macromedia. My search hijack also claimed to be an MSN search sidebar until I entered a term to search. Then it took me to findwhatevernow.

Letty's pop-up might be a legitimate macromediaflash player pop-up, but mine was not. Just cautioning to not necessarily trust who they say they are.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 05:33 pm
Damn. It's back again.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 05:47 pm
Here's what I got when I asked for more info:

Signed Program Download

The certificate for this program is valid.
A certificate contains information asserting that a specific software program is genuine. This ensures that no other program can assume the identity of the original program. Certificates are also dated when they are issued. When you try to download software, Internet Explorer verifies the information in the certificate and that the current date precedes the certificate's expiration date. If the information is not current and valid at the time of download, Internet Explorer can display a warning.

This program's publisher has obtained a certificate for this program from a recognized certificate issuer, so that the authenticity of this program can be verified.
Any software or component you install can potentially harm your computer.
To view details about the software, click the underlined program name in the dialog box. If the program name is not underlined, the publisher did not furnish an Internet address to obtain additional information.
Given what you know about this software, its publisher, and your computer, you must decide whether to proceed with installing and running this software. Additionally, if you trust this software publisher completely, you can choose to bypass this dialog box in the future for all software from this publisher that has certificates, and automatically install and run their software.

If, given this information, you still do not feel confident in installing this software, then click No.

I did click NO--several times
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:49 pm
Letty, that's great that the application or ActiveX control has a verified certificate...but that means nothing if we don't know who the certificate has been issued to. Is the distributor "Macromedia, Inc."? If so, it should be safe. Here's what it would look like:

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/images/screen_secdialog7.gif

You might want to install Flash....it isn't a security risk to your PC & it's necessesary for many Web sites (on A2K, however, it's only currently used for a portion of the animated ads). If you want you can Install it directly from Macromedia's Web site: www.macromedia.com/software/flashplayer

If you continue to receive prompts to install Flash after you know it has been successfully installed, there may be a problem.

By the way, with WinXP Service Pack 2 you can opt to always disapprove applications from particular distributors (so you wouldn't be prompted again to approve applications you know you don't want).
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:59 pm
Monger, this has been the craziest evening. I'm too chicken to download the Service pack 2, cause that may present a problem.

Your replica was the exact thing that I have been receiving.

Well, Miss LettyBettyGettyMaryCustisLee is a bit cornfused, but I do appreciate the input.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 07:24 pm
I wonder why you haven't gotten this before now if you still don't have SP2.

Have you changed any settings, surfing habits, or something? I would have thought by now you would have had the real macromedia player since you have been online a while.

Monger, is there a place for her to check to see if she already has Flash player? Would that help determine if this pop up is real?
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 07:37 pm
macromedia flash used to be real happening software.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 06:56 am
squinney wrote:
Monger, is there a place for her to check to see if she already has Flash player? Would that help determine if this pop up is real?

You may or may not see it in Add\Remove Programs, depending on the installation method used. If you have WinXP SP2, in Internet Explorer you could click Tools -> Manage Add-Ons and look for "Shockwave Flash Object".

You could browse to a site that uses Flash to see if it's displayed correctly, but then some developers automatically switch to using different design methods for visitors without the Flash plug-in.

A Flash installation dialog should only be displayed if you don't have the latest version, and the Web site developer chose to prompt visitors who don't.

The image I posted above shows a prompt for a legitimate installation of Flash Player by Macromedia (with the publisher's authenticity verified by VeriSign).

I also posted a link to Macromedia's site where you can download it direct from them (there's no harm in installing it twice, & in fact if you try to do so I believe they will tell you whether you already have the latest version installed).
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 07:20 am
I truly appreciate all the input from those of you in the know about such things.

I will wait until this weekend to decide about this because one of the kids is coming who can help me.

Good morning, all.
0 Replies