What do you think of New Balance?

Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 12:30 pm
If you like their sneakers, you'll love their company and values. A private company owned by Jim Davis and his wife, Anne, who heads human resources and the company foundation. The company has no debt.

In the early 1970s, Davis started searching for a business to buy. The first company he looked at was New Balance, which then had six employees and turned out 30 pairs of shoes a day. A year later, after hearing runners rave about New Balance and unable to find another deal, Davis bought the company. The price: $10,000 down and $90,000 out of later cash flow.

Davis refuses to hire celebrity athletes to endorse his shoes. About one-quarter of his manufacturing remains in the United States, long after his competitors have abandoned making anything here.

The Davises are remarkably unpretentious mom and pop billionaires. Davis, 61, the son of a Greek immigrant, likes khakis and dislikes ties. They give away lots of money, though you never read about it. ''He is the quintessential anonymous donor," says US Representative William Delahunt, a fraternity brother at Middlebury College.

Davis has no intention of going public. What would be lost if he did? ''Domestic manufacturing," he says. ''If we were a public company, I am sure the shareholders would say, 'Close your factories and make the product abroad because you will make more dough for me and my quarterly dividend.' Right off the bat I am sure that would happen."

New Balance is all about thinking long term. Most of Davis's top executives have been with him 20 years; two of the six employees working at New Balance when Davis bought it are still there. The company, with 2,600 employees, has no unions. Davis avoids acquisitions because they disrupt the culture.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2004/10/06/mom_and_pop_billionaires/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,397 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 12:42 pm
i've been a wearer of NB sneakers for 17-18 years, now even more so bcos we live a hop skip & a jump from the factory outlet Smile
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:00 pm
I'm a huge fan of NB as my family has wide feet and they are the only brand I can count on to have every size in wide widths.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:29 pm
Region - where is the outlet?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:35 pm
What the heck. I'll give them the not when all else seems about equal.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:37 pm
Brighton Landing
20 Guest St.
Boston, MA

you can't miss the building from the mass pike -- its got a huge red NB on it...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:44 pm
I was going to say....I like that NB outlet in Brighton. I like NB, but don't really buy their sneakers. I've gone to the outlet to get t-shirts and shorts.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:47 pm
I have two pairs of NB shoes, turf shoes for my referee gigs and a pair of cross trainers for everyday wear. They're great. My wife has a pair of their walking/running shoes and she loves them.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:50 pm
Well I wear NB 6 of 7 days a week.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 02:36 pm
Ah!!! I don't usually travel that way from Boston - I travel toward the south. But I believe I know where you are talking about. I will have to check it out.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:13 pm
The factory outlet also has good sales a couple of times/year - something like 15% off everything and a lot of it was already discounted. The lines snake throughout the store. I am wearing NB sneaks right now - the most comfortable sneakers I have ever owned, and I wear a woman's 12W size.

Yes, I have feet like a moose. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:03 am
Well you know what they say about women with big feet...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:12 am
I'll check em out
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 10:14 am
jespah wrote:
The factory outlet also has good sales a couple of times/year - something like 15% off everything and a lot of it was already discounted. The lines snake throughout the store. I am wearing NB sneaks right now - the most comfortable sneakers I have ever owned, and I wear a woman's 12W size.

Yes, I have feet like a moose. Embarrassed

no problem my NB600's are a 15W Men's Embarrassed
0 Replies