Evil or Very Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,419 • Replies: 72
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 11:19 am
Letty, I loved that one. I won't give you answers, but I'll give you hints if you like. Have you gotten any of the longies?

Hints:

24 A, Answer is a numbered place.
37 A, Part of this answer might bring New Year's Eve to mind.
50 A, Watch out.
72 A, Don't be in such a hurry.
86 A, Think about Duke Ellington. Only one letter relates to his subway song, but it might get you on the right track. (Pretend I didn't say that.)
101 A, Get your tush out of the way.
9 D, Not sure I can help with this one. You really gotta know something about subways. Work on the clue and forget about the subway.

Good luck.

I love being a Noo Yawker. :-)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 11:33 am
I figured Roberta would love the streets and sidewalks of New York. Smile

I got 85 across, but I didn't understand the Oakland player part. Is the Duke from Oakland? sheeeeeze. I kept trying to think of the name of an Oakland Raider.

The upper left hand section is a mess. and what in the world is "two and a half presidential terms?"

I got 9D. As I once said, it's the little ones that screw me up (and down, too...heh heh)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 03:43 pm
Oakland has a baseball team called the Athletics, which is often shortened to the A's.

A presidential term is 4 years, so 2 1/2 of them is a decade.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 03:48 pm
Good grief, Jes. I didn't think about that clue in terms of numbers..thanks..

I did get the part about Duke Ellington's "Take the A Train". Guess it has a double meaning or something. Odd.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:32 am
Letty, Sorry about the confusion with Duke Ellington's Take the A Train and the Oakland A's. I guess I'm in a New York State of Mind--another musical reference. This one to Billy Joel.

Have you gotten any more of the puzzle?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:45 am
Roberta, I got it all except 1,2,3 and 4 down.

Which one references Billy Joel? I like him.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 05:08 pm
I don't think any of it references Billy Joel; I think Roberta was just talking about her own reference.

What are the clues that you're not getting; I've tossed that page and can't follow along, thanks.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 05:13 pm
Jes, 1 down is constellation's brightest point. 2 down is lingo. 3 down is trading places. (I put agora in ink, already). 4 down is dirty. A four letter word didn't work. Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 05:50 pm
constellation's brightest point - I can only recall (I think) that this started with an A?
lingo - argot? jargon?
trading places - marts? malls?
dirty - filmy? grimy?

You need to give info on the number of letters to be filled, thanks.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 06:10 pm
ok, Jes. 1 down five letters...2 down six letters..three down 6 letters (jargon would fit, but that screws up 37 across which is order to nab a New York newspaper nerd now. I have "last stop, Times Square". Frankly, I think this puzzle is far too weird without being challenging.

Where is Raggedy?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 02:34 am
Letty, Time Square is not the last stop. Jargon fits. Agora is right as far as it goes. And in keeping with the other confusing "A" clue, 1 down is "A STAR."

Sorry to disagree with you, but I don't find this puzzle weird. But I did find it a bit of a challenge.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 05:36 am
Got it all. Thanks Roberta. I still don't understand how account receivable turns out to be saga.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 05:54 am
Letty: I don't understand that account receivable answer (saga) either. Do you think it's an acronym?

I've been without my computer for several days, but I think everything is in tip top order now. It kept freezing and had to be reconfigured (I think that's the term, the computer guy used).

I think you'll like this Sunday's puzzle better than the subway one. Although I did enjoy Roberta's hints. (lol)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:01 am
Good to see you back, gal. I'm not much on bookkeeping, so if it's an acronym, I wouldn't geddit! Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:36 am
Letty, The question mark suggests that accounts receivable is not the typical accounting thingie. An account could be a saga. I'm willing to concede that this is a stretch.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 06:43 am
Yeah, Roberta. I thought so, too. And the plural part of agora sorta got me.
0 Replies

annbird

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 07:53 pm
saga explained
SAGA is an acronym for Standard Accounting for Government Agencies. This puzzle is driving me maddddddd.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 04:51 am
Hey, annebird. Welcome to A2K. Well, by now you know all the answers to New York's subway and it's gordian knots. Thanks for the explanation to SAGA. I would never have gotten the implication.

I have finished almost all of the "A Bridged Versions". Raggedy was correct. It was fun, but I still don't have 71 down, (7 letters) and the clue is gymnast's assistant, nor did I complete 102 down, wannabe surfer, (5 letters).
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 05:26 am
71D and 102D had me stumped, too, Letty. I still don't understand the connection. But, I'll not enter the answers here unless you say it's OK. I never heard the word for Wannabe surfer. Tell me the letters you have and I'll let you know if they're correct. Very Happy

Hi Annbird: Thanks for explaining SAGA.
0 Replies