Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 03:42 pm
What a surprise...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 03:45 pm
Re: USA Chooses Anti-Feminist Group to Train Iraqi Women
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Quote:
Administration Chooses Anti-Feminist Group to Train Iraqi Women"(W)e'd like to train 150 pro-democracy women on the fundamentals of democracy, women's political activism in a democracy, and to exchange ideas' basically to enable Iraqi women to participate in their country and help Iraq develop a democracy that best suits the needs of that country," she was quoted as saying in a State Department press release.

She also said IWF has planned a five-day conference in December in Amman, Jordan that will be followed by future meetings on a quarterly basis. Rather than recruit women to run for office, she said, "we're just looking for people who want to participate at the community level, people who are interested in education (or) people who might want to be policy makers in the equivalent of a think tank here."
Source

as well as training them in basic home eccomics, charm and etiquette, baking and knitting no doubt. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 03:59 pm
Church going and praying, I'd like to add.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 04:09 pm
Oh, NO??!!!

REALLY!!!???

Well, foshizzle my mizzle - whoodathunk.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 04:17 pm
So send a bunch of feminists to Iraq to train the women. See what happens.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 04:19 pm
Ok.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 04:21 pm
send someone to train someone for God's sake.....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 04:26 pm
My point is that the choice is probably appropriate considering the culture they are being sent into. I can see the conflict of interest from a mile away. That is a separate issue.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 04:30 pm
cjhsa wrote:
My point is that the choice is probably appropriate considering the culture they are being sent into. I can see the conflict of interest from a mile away. That is a separate issue.

in other words we will go to war at the cost of countless lives, both ours and theirs, civilian and miltary alike....because the price of freedom is high but worth it and we must stay the course....but when it's time to train the women we need to go lightly because we don't want to shock the culture? I would think it's probably pretty hard to shock them by now since we've pretty much f*#king blown them to bits......
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 05:03 pm
Er - not sure if strongly christian anti-feminist folk are culturally appropriate.

As far as I know, Iraq was still Muslim, as of yesterday - and was never particularly known for stupid repression of women.

You do not have to be anti-feminist, by the way, to be sensitive to cultural differences re gender stuff.
0 Replies