No criminality in Clinton emails - FBI

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 03:40 pm
No criminality in Clinton emails - FBI

The FBI says it has found no evidence of criminality in a new batch of Hillary Clinton emails.

FBI Director James Comey said in a letter to congressmen the agency had finished its review and found nothing to alter its original conclusion.

In July, he said Mrs Clinton had been careless but not criminal in handling sensitive material on her private email server while secretary of state.

The issue flared up again with the discovery of new "pertinent" emails.

They were reportedly found on the laptop of Anthony Weiner, the estranged husband of one of the Democratic presidential candidate's closest advisers.

Mr Comey's original letter late last month to lawmakers, revealing the bureau's inquiry into Mrs Clinton's emails had been revived, shook up the White House race and reinvigorated the campaign of Republican nominee Donald Trump.
Analysis - Anthony Zurcher, BBC News, Washington

It was much ado about nothing, but it certainly amounted to something. While FBI Director James Comey, in effect, said "never mind" with regards to Hillary Clinton's emails, for the past two weeks the story has dominated the political conversation, and Democrats have paid a price.

While Mrs Clinton's presidential hopes have stabilised, talk of a possible rout - and sweeping down-ballot victories in congressional races - are a distant memory.

Mrs Clinton will now try to focus on her closing campaign message. Donald Trump almost certainly will continue to accuse his opponent of corruption and, perhaps, again allege the FBI is covering for her.

With only two days until voting, the dust kicked up by this story won't have fully settled by the time Americans head to the polls.

Once this election is over, there should be serious soul-searching within the FBI and the media about how this saga played out. The nation's top law-enforcement agency was a source of constant leaks, as internal disputes spilled into public view.

If Mr Trump wins, many on the left will blame Mr Comey for the result. If Mrs Clinton prevails, she likely will bear a lasting grudge over this political near-miss.

The FBI director had announced that the agency would investigate if the newly discovered messages contained classified information.

But in Sunday's follow-up letter, Mr Comey wrote: "Since my letter, the FBI investigative team has been working around the clock to process and review a large volume of emails from a device obtained in connection with an unrelated criminal investigation.

"During that process, we reviewed all of the communications that were to or from Hillary Clinton while she was Secretary of State.
Image copyright Reuters
Image caption FBI Director James Comey's letter last month plunged the presidential campaign into turmoil

"Based on our review, we have not changed our conclusions that we expressed in July with respect to Secretary Clinton."

On board the candidate's campaign airplane, the candidate's team welcomed the news.

Communications director Jennifer Palmieri told media: "We've seen Director Comey's latest letter.

"We were glad to see, as we were confident he would, he's confirmed the conclusions he reached in July.
Image caption FBI Director James Comey's letter

"We're glad this matter has been resolved."

But the Trump team immediately cried foul.

Newt Gingrich, an adviser to the Republican nominee, tweeted: "Comey must be under enormous political pressure to cave like this and announce something he cant [sic] possibly know."

The FBI has already established Mrs Clinton had classified information on a private email server that was run out of her upstate New York home.
Image copyright AFP
Image caption Donald Trump laid into Obamacare again on his first stop on Sunday in Iowa

Mr Comey said in July that the White House hopeful's handling of sensitive material during her 2009-13 tenure as secretary of state was "extremely careless", but cleared her of criminal wrongdoing.

The revelation that she handled sensitive information while breaking federal rules by running her own email server has dogged her campaign since last year.

A new NBC/Wall St Journal opinion poll on Sunday before news broke of the FBI letter suggested a four-point lead for Mrs Clinton.

The latest Washington Post/ABC tracking poll put her lead at five points.

Sunday's campaign stops take her to Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire, while Mr Trump travels to Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Virginia.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37892138

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwmwOjoWgAA7i_6.jpg

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 04:25 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Emails Warrant No New Action Against Hillary Clinton, F.B.I. Director Says -
Comey added: "Still kept you from getting the Senate. Ha haaa!" (no, that's what Comey's thinking)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/07/us/politics/hilary-clinton-male-voters-donald-trump.html?_r=0
The F.B.I. informed Congress on Sunday that it has not changed its conclusions about Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server as secretary of state, removing a dark cloud that has been hanging over her campaign two days before Election Day.

James B. Comey, the F.B.I. director, said in a letter to members of Congress that “based on our review, we have not changed our conclusions that we expressed in July with respect to Secretary Clinton.”

~~
~~

Brian Fallon, a spokesman for Mrs. Clinton, said in a post on Twitter that the campaign was always confident that she would be cleared of any wrongdoing.

“We were always confident nothing would cause the July decision to be revisited,” Mr. Fallon said. “Now Director Comey has confirmed it.”
(more)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 04:31 pm
Ever hear of Aesop? He had some fables and this was a good one...

There once was a shepherd boy who was bored as he sat on the hillside watching the village sheep. To amuse himself he took a great breath and sang out, "Wolf! Wolf! The Wolf is chasing the sheep!"

The villagers came running up the hill to help the boy drive the wolf away. But when they arrived at the top of the hill, they found no wolf. The boy laughed at the sight of their angry faces.

"Don't cry 'wolf', shepherd boy," said the villagers, "when there's no wolf!" They went grumbling back down the hill.

Later, the boy sang out again, "Wolf! Wolf! The wolf is chasing the sheep!" To his naughty delight, he watched the villagers run up the hill to help him drive the wolf away.

When the villagers saw no wolf they sternly said, "Save your frightened song for when there is really something wrong! Don't cry 'wolf' when there is NO wolf!"

But the boy just grinned and watched them go grumbling down the hill once more.

Later, he saw a REAL wolf prowling about his flock. Alarmed, he leaped to his feet and sang out as loudly as he could, "Wolf! Wolf!"

But the villagers thought he was trying to fool them again, and so they didn't come.

At sunset, everyone wondered why the shepherd boy hadn't returned to the village with their sheep. They went up the hill to find the boy. They found him weeping.

"There really was a wolf here! The flock has scattered! I cried out, "Wolf!" Why didn't you come?"

An old man tried to comfort the boy as they walked back to the village.

"We'll help you look for the lost sheep in the morning," he said, putting his arm around the youth, "Nobody believes a liar...even when he is telling the truth!"
contrex

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 04:43 pm
I get the point about crying wolf, but I'm awfully glad that our local police, fire and ambulance services respond to all calls. Those villagers should have done a risk assessment. or replaced the boy. By the way, that must be a modern version with a pantywaist feel-good ending so the little ones won't get traumatized. When I was a kid, the fable ended with the wolf killing all the sheep.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 04:47 pm
@McGentrix,
I am suprised that you are the one to write this McGentrix, I always see you as a partisan conservative (I apologize if I have pegged you wrong). But you are absolutely correct.

The Republican conservatives have yelled and whined for years about Benghazi, Vince Foster, Emailgate, Whitewater, FBI filegate, Connection to radical muslims, the selling of state secrets, Hillary's initiation of birtherism, billing records, secret speeches. If you count the whining about Obama you can add such things as his secret Muslim identity and his Kenyan birth certificate.

The Republicans cried wolf countless times for a few decades ....

... and now the wolf is going to win the White House.

This part of the story is rather amusing.
contrex

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 04:49 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
... and now the wolf is going to win the White House.

Hillary is very far from being a "wolf". Anyhow, if we are doing animals, better a wolf watching out for you than an obese, wallowing pig like Trump.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 04:52 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Hillary is very far from being a "wolf".

Why do you say that? Things turned out pretty well for the wolf in McGentrix's little story.
0 Replies