Bob Dylans London Art Exhibit

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2016 04:44 pm
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2016/11/take-a-virtual-tour-of-bob-dylans-london-art-exhibit
This Saturday, a major show of Dylan’s sketches, watercolors, and acrylic works of iconic Americana landscapes opens at London’s Halcyon Gallery. Called “The Beaten Path”—a name selected by the artist—the works show America as Dylan has seen it on tour: images of quintessential Americana, at once iconic and quotidian. Lonely stretches of highway, bridges, ice-cream stores, diners, even Katz’s Deli in Manhattan—they are as intimate as they are universal. “America is a fascination, and a central part of whole world,” says Halcyon C.E.O. Udi Sheleg. “Everybody who’s been to America . . . can find a lot of the scenes that speak to him look familiar, yet they look personal [to Dylan].”

Dylan has also penned an essay for the exhibition catalogue—his most extensive piece of prose since the publication of his memoir Chronicles: Volume One in 2004. Dylan, as always somehow as coy as he is simplistic, writes that “the idea was to create pictures that would not be misinterpreted or misunderstood by me or anybody else.”

Dylan has been working with Halcyon for nearly a decade, after the gallery reached out as Dylan was showing his “Drawn Blank Series” at Germany’s Kunstsammlungen Museum. “It was authentic, it was fresh, it was looking at objects or scenes in the eyes of who we knew was Bob Dylan,” Sheleg says.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 900 • Replies: 10
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2016 05:05 pm
By clicking on Google images and searching "Bob Dylan's art" it is possible to see most of the art in question, I believe.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 02:37 am
@edgarblythe,
If you decide to go across the pond to see it, let me know. I'll buy you a shandy.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 04:33 am
@izzythepush,
I could only afford the trip if I could swim there from the Gulf of Mexico.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 04:37 am
@edgarblythe,
That's probably a bit of a stretch.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 05:00 am
@izzythepush,
Especially considering I barely can swim the width of a pool.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 05:39 am
@edgarblythe,
You're probably better off where you are. It's bloody freezing right now, horrible icy rain. I was wanting to sort my bonfire out for tomorrow but it will have to wait until then.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 07:31 am
Our autumn remains more summer. Unusual, even here.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 07:39 am
@edgarblythe,
It's not been too bad, but today there was a noticeable change.
farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 07:28 am
@izzythepush,
Im not too impressed with his paintings and sketches but I LOVE his welded sculptures.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2016 09:33 am
His celebrity undoubtedly sparks the interest in his art.
0 Replies