I have heartbreaking news about Bob Dylan.

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 12:08 am
I wish I could ease into this, but Bob Dylan has decided to record old Sinatra classics. Oh, even worse yet, he wants to release it. I don't know what to do, I was completely grossed out when Rod Stewart got rid of his skinny Lycra pants and those awful shiny jackets pushed to his emaciated elbows and the bushy tangled blond mop, I didn't think it could get worse. The worlds second worst voice, Stewart already covered a bunch of Sinatra and Tony Bennett standards, can somebody please call Bob and tell him it's an even worse idea than Stewarts mutilation of the 'standards'. Frankly, I'm not sure how much more the Italians can tolerate. It's a dark day in Mudville.

hingehead

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 12:38 am
@glitterbag,
That's hilarious. But you never know. When johnny cash recorded a nine inch nails cover it might have been as painful as William Shatner, but instead we got a classic interpretation of 'Hurt'.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 12:51 am
@hingehead,
Yeah, but Johnny Cash could sing, you didn't have to be a fan or collector, but William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Nancy Sinatra and Lee Marvin should never been let near a recording studio, Holy Crap I almost forgot that thready voiced Irishman who sang MacArthers park is melting in the dark, great actor.....should never have let him sing.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 01:11 am
It's the Celebrity Appeal songs that give them the inspiration to go and try new things, I think.

glitterbag

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 01:31 am
@Lordyaswas,
Sweet Jesus, you scared me so badly I remembered, Richard Harris croaked his way thru MacArthers Park. He should never have done it, but it makes me smile every time I remember him singing "ohnonononono, now if I could show the reach into soprano land until you can barely hear him squeak.

But I loved him in "Unforgiven" as English Bob, he was terrific.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 05:27 am
I said a long time ago that Dylan ought to form a group that can carry his songs for him. I can't listen to much of his 21st Century voice, no matter the song. I like MacArthur Park.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:41 am
@edgarblythe,
Dylan was in the Traveling Wilburys, but so was George Harrison, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty and I think one other guy. They made some terrific music. I can hear most of the voices, not sure which one Dylan used for those recordings.

Edgar. Are you really a fan of Richard Harris's MacArthur Park???? And didn't Donna Summer do a version of that song?
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:43 am
@glitterbag,
He certainly sang Tweeter and the Monkeyman. That's the sort of story song that actually suits his voice.

IMO, of course.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:44 am
@Lordyaswas,
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 11:00 am
@glitterbag,
At least he's not released another Christmas album. Someone got me this for a joke one Christmas. I fail to see the funny side.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 12:32 pm
@glitterbag,
Keep in mind that Dylan is a very old man. Isn't he entitled to a little mental slippage?

I always thought he was a much better song writer than singer, anyway.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 02:32 pm
@roger,
I think he was a much better nuclear physicist.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 02:43 pm
i admit to being a big fan of Dylan's voice

Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61 Revisited and Blood on the Tracks are outstanding albums
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 02:50 pm
@djjd62,
I saw a comedy routine where someone compared him to a vacuum cleaner, and I've never been able to get the sound out of my head.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 04:20 pm
Remember the Bob Dylan hat tip in Frank Zappa's 'Flakes'?

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 04:24 pm
Or the Heebie Geebies (FF to 1:30 to hear 'Bob')

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 04:25 pm
Or Bowie's 'Song for Bob Dylan'?

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 05:15 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Dylan was in the Traveling Wilburys, but so was George Harrison, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty and I think one other guy.

That other guy was Jeff Lynne, formerly of ELO.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 05:34 pm
@glitterbag,
Sorry--I think Stewart has a sexy, raspy voice that's intriguing to most listeners....that's why he can still sell. I don't know why but his voice is beautiful to me....and David Bowie...wow! The sex appeal...sorry my own husband thinks it's weird but -- I can't help it.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 09:04 pm
@Germlat,
Well, everybody likes what they like. I know he has a ton of fans, but when I hear his voice all I can visualize is his scrawny Lycra encased legs, fish head sneakers and spazzing out to 'Tonight's the night" or 'Do you think I'm sexy' and my stomach starts to churn. Don't even get me started on 'Maggie Mae', just not my cup of tea. But there a few other mega wonders I can't stomach, but I think it's best not to mention who they are, because all of them have fans, and just because I don't like them it doesn't mean they don't appeal to others.

And on a different note, maybe Dylan can pull it off. I was blown away by Queen Latifah in The musical 'Chicago', I'm not a 'show tune' fan, but that women can sing. And years ago, when Michael Jackson gathered a group of performers to sing 'We are the World', I was stunned that so many of the over produced singers could actually sing. So, ok, the tune itself was not terrific, but the talent was.